glandes (Read 11723 times)
JeffH
Past Moderator

Don't stand behind me,
I'm about to sling!

Memphis, TN
Re: glandes
Reply #15 - Nov 7th, 2003 at 6:16pm

I will post the bag as soon as Chris gets it.  I have to rely on him to store my images since I don't have a web site.

jeff <><

So David triumphed over the Philistine with a sling and a stone. (1 Samuel 17:50)

IP Logged

Gaius_Cornelius
Tiro

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

United Kingdom
Reply #16 - Dec 10th, 2003 at 9:08am

Quote:
... also does anyone know what the word glandes actually means???

To answer one of your original questions:

Glandes is Latin and it the plural of glans. This word litterally means acorn although I think it could mean other nuts too.

If you look glans up in an English dictionary you will find it has a more anotomical meaning.

Glans came to mean bullet.

Although we are used to seeing lead bullets in the form of a prolate spheriod from Greek and Roman times, some bullets were much more crudely formed in a thumb mold - made by forming a hole in clay simply by pushing in a thumb. These bullets more closely resemble an acorn.

I suppose it is also possible that it is a reference to the shape of an almond, but I am not sure whether the meaning of glans could extend to that.

IP Logged

bamaham93
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #17 - Sep 27th, 2007 at 10:50pm

nemesis_3003 wrote on Sep 26th, 2003 at 12:41am:
. also does anyone know what the word glandes actually means???

leaden acorn.  Cheesy

IP Logged

∆thelbera
Interfector Viris Spurii

Resident Cavegirl

grieving- august 13th/09 :(
Reply #18 - Sep 27th, 2007 at 11:30pm

Sounds about right, as a few other languages call acorns "glande" such as french or portugese.

...&&Each all must his end abide. august 13th, rip Sad&&Varje man šr sin egen konung.
WWW ∆thelbera  
IP Logged

OrangeDuck

Annoying my Mom with Slings
since 9/6/07

San Fransisco Bay Area, U.S.A.
Reply #19 - Sep 28th, 2007 at 12:26am

Quote:
Sounds about right, as a few other languages call acorns "glande" such as french or portugese.

I'll agree with you on the French point, but my mom who was an exchange student in Brazil for a year says acorn in portugese is bolota (though it took her a while...there aren't all that many acorns in Brazil)

A quick check with an online translator tells me the Latin word for acorn is balanus.

I Liked your theory, though  Grin

Orange Duck

orangeiguanaduck  
IP Logged

∆thelbera
Interfector Viris Spurii

Resident Cavegirl

grieving- august 13th/09 :(
Reply #20 - Sep 28th, 2007 at 8:29am

Oh I looked it up on the etymology section in dictionary.com

...&&Each all must his end abide. august 13th, rip Sad&&Varje man šr sin egen konung.
WWW ∆thelbera  
IP Logged

Trebuchet
Descens

Ave, Caesar! Baliares
te salutimus!

Montgomery, AL
Reply #21 - Sep 28th, 2007 at 8:30pm

I seem to recall that most of the "real" sling projectiles recovered by archy-ologists (I can't spell) were spindle shaped. †There must have been a reason for that. Our ancestors were not idiots. †A group of humanoids who can create the ballista, trebuchet, "wild ass" catapult, and Greek fire knew something about something. Maybe a lot about everything.

A recent History Channel episode recorded the discovery of an ancient text apparently written by Archimedes (I think; he was the mathematician in Syracuse) which, when translated, showed that he was working around the edges of calculus. †I don't think that, at that time, "zero" was part of the numbering system, so negative numbers were right out. †Also, why did the Sumerians use a "base 60" numbering system?

There's so much to learn.

"We got a long way to go and a short time to get there...." †From "Smokey and the Bandit."

Trebuchet

Go tell the Spartans, stranger passing by, that here, obedient to their law we lie.&&&&

IP Logged

Trebuchet
Descens

Ave, Caesar! Baliares
te salutimus!

Montgomery, AL
Reply #22 - Sep 28th, 2007 at 8:35pm

OrangeDuck wrote on Sep 28th, 2007 at 12:26am:
Quote:

I'll agree with you on the French point, but my mom who was an exchange student in Brazil for a year says acorn in portugese is bolota (though it took her a while...there aren't all that many acorns in Brazil)

A quick check with an online translator tells me the Latin word for acorn is balanus.

I Liked your theory, though †Grin

Orange Duck

But they got awful [[ sic ]] lot of coffee in Brazil. †Quoting an old Frank Sinatra song.

Trebuchet

Go tell the Spartans, stranger passing by, that here, obedient to their law we lie.&&&&

IP Logged

M. Demetrius
Tiro

Central Texas
Reply #23 - Oct 7th, 2007 at 6:20pm

>>>also does anyone know what the word glandes actually means???

Yes. †[i]Glans[/i] is Latin for "nut, acorn, or bullet (for a sling)" †[i]Glandis[/i] is the correct plural. †So it's safe to say one glans, two or more glandis. †If it matters, it's a feminine noun. † ::)

Saepe veritas est dura
IP Logged

Trebuchet
Descens

Ave, Caesar! Baliares
te salutimus!

Montgomery, AL
Reply #24 - Oct 8th, 2007 at 8:31pm

Yurek wrote on Nov 4th, 2003 at 3:41pm:
Yes he is, just with water. This is no Molotov coctail or nitroglycerin Wink

Jurek

You're missing a great opportunity to experiment with Greek fire.....

Trebuchet

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, Chris, Rat Man, Kick, vetryan15, Morphy)