glandes (Read 11808 times)
nemesis_3003
Tiro

hmmm now where my stone
go?

tennessee
glandes
Sep 26th, 2003 at 12:41am

heyall i was looking around in my backyard and i saw a piece of street chalk -  the thick stuff bout 2 nhalf in. long - and recently ive been forming clods of dirt into spheres on the sidewall of my house, and so i saw and perceived and behold i said to myself "behold a substance that is easy to form into a glandes and to see if they truly are more effective" and so i shaped that peice of chalk and behold it was so much more effective then my dirt. and also i beheld that i have many peices of chalk and they are cheap and plentiful and great and weighty and wonderful. so naturally i wish to share  these results to any and all that will listen. also does anyone know what the word glandes actually means??? anyway it was so easy to rub that chalk back and forth and turning the chalk as i rubed so as to get rounded smooth ends. and thus it went to far and i was unable to retrieve it and it was lost in bushes of great stature and so is this story complete  Lips Sealed
thankyou for reading this message
jack

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Re: glandes
Reply #1 - Sep 26th, 2003 at 12:50am

Nice story  Grin

The shape really does help over normal (irregular) rocks.  But I can't say that it's any better than spherical projectiles like golf balls.  What do you think?

IP Logged

Brent
Tiro

guns don't kill people,
slings do!

charlotte,NC
Reply #2 - Sep 26th, 2003 at 8:46pm

i know you didnt ask me but golf balls are not very accurate on my opinion,cause i made a sling especially for golf balls.it was kinda disapointing when the select ammunition was not accurate. Brent

mammut109  
IP Logged

Chris

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #3 - Sep 26th, 2003 at 10:00pm

My experiments with golf balls have been pretty positive.  What trouble did you experience with them?

Chris

IP Logged

Brent
Tiro

guns don't kill people,
slings do!

charlotte,NC
Reply #4 - Sep 27th, 2003 at 11:22pm

well i dont know they were okay but they just plain arent very good if you live in a city,but they are okay,so never mind WinkBrent

mammut109  
IP Logged

JeffH
Past Moderator

Don't stand behind me,
I'm about to sling!

Memphis, TN
Reply #5 - Sep 27th, 2003 at 11:59pm

Brent,

What was it that made your sling so peculiar to the golf ball.  Did it have some attributes that, in the design phase, seemed to be better suited to the the smooth surface or the size?

Any old sling should throw a golf ball quite well if released properly.  I have thrown many and they were much more acuurate than I could take advantage of.  The biggest problem I have with the golf ball is its light weight.  Not enough "feel" to the swing, and they tend to release late.

I have been doing some figuring on the weight issue.  My conclusion so far is this:  the projectile MUST have enough weight (and momentum) to force its way out of the pouch.  We all agree that the pouch is best shaped to cup and hold the stone a bit.  This means that the stone will be held by the pouch until is released.  The golf ball has to overcome the inertia of the release cord as it begins to move forward at release.  The ball remains in the pouch until its relationship to the pouch is such that its momentum can push it past the edge of the pouch.  This point comes when the release side of the pouch has opened enough.

We know that very heavy stones tend to release early and very light ones late.  I am guessing here, but it appears that every sling will have its prefered weight based on several things.  They include but are not limited to:

Stiffness of pouch and cords
Depth of pouch "cup" and how tightly it holds the stone
Weight of cord (release cord inertia is affected by this)
Angular velocity of stone at release
Release style
Release angle (maybe)
If your release cord is long and drags your hand

This is kind of like hand loading metallic rifle cartridges.  The projectile is the single biggest factor.  All the others have to be adjusted to the projectile to get the desired results.

Jeff ><> - Who thinks this point should be discussed further

So David triumphed over the Philistine with a sling and a stone. (1 Samuel 17:50)

IP Logged

Chris

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #6 - Sep 28th, 2003 at 2:04am

I haven't found a cup to be an advantage over a "flat" pouch.  That is of course unless your firing grape shot. My stretched-octagonal pouches hold golf balls fine. If you think about how the projectile is released (the retention cord flies out horizontal at 90 degrees relative to the other cord), it would be logical that the cup would only be at 45 degrees relative to either cords, which means the projectile does have to force it's way out.  With a flat pouch, it can leave easier.  Can people visualize what I'm saying?  I can draw a picture.

Chris

IP Logged

JeffH
Past Moderator

Don't stand behind me,
I'm about to sling!

Memphis, TN
Reply #7 - Sep 28th, 2003 at 8:33am

Let me clarify my statement on the cupping qualities of a pouch.  I prefer a pouch which is literally flat, but which has just a little give to the leather to hold the stone.  When I mentioned that a cupped pouch is universally prefered, I should have been more specific.  I don't mean deeply cupped by any means.  In fact, I have seen some which were so cupped I had a hard time believing that they would throw well at all.   I suppose what I should have said is that we prefer pouches which hold the projectile, and cupping is the easiest way to achieve this.  High friction coefficient between pouch and projectile also work quite well.  The andean style slings use both methods: split pouch for slight cupping action and wool material for friction. (Whipartist wins again with his o-so-beautiful, hand made andean slings!)

The slings I have been making have a natural cupping aspect because the leather pouch is flexible and the strands of cord at their edges is not.  This causes the pouch to cup somewhat by virtue of design, but not much and in varying amounts depending on the stone weight.

I have one sling which is made of stiff leather; no natural cup whatsoever.  I have yet to use it because light projectiles like golf balls tend to perform escape routines as I do my wind-up.  And I only have access to light projectiles (mostly golf balls) for my general slinging.

By the way, Chris,  I have just made a new sling using #72 seine twine.  It is made the same as my others in all respects except that the pouch is slightly altered to accept the larger cord.  The cords are much stiffer and heavier than in my previous slings.   The pouch is supple, yet thick leather. This sling eagerly awaits a test trial to judge the nature of its releasing qualities.  Could I send a pic of this sling to post? (Preferably before I get it dirty.)

Jeff <>< - who wants to get to the bottom of the releasing delima

So David triumphed over the Philistine with a sling and a stone. (1 Samuel 17:50)

IP Logged

Chris

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #8 - Sep 28th, 2003 at 11:44am

People are always free to send me pictures whenever they please.

Chris

IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

The best thing, is a good
sling.

Poland
Reply #9 - Nov 4th, 2003 at 11:28am

The Tomek's (guy from Poland) site with a few pictures about making the projectails with the tennis balls by himself. The nteresting idea. He also demonstrate his nice slings.

Tomek and his friends have conreated the special furnave for bakeing the clay glandes and dishes.

"proca" [protsaa] = sling in Polish

http://www.proca.jaremi.net

Jurek

In the shape, structure and position of each stone, there is recorded a small piece of history. So, slinging them, we add a bit of our history to them.

IP Logged

Chris

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #10 - Nov 4th, 2003 at 2:43pm

Nice pics.

Is he just injecting the tennis balls with water?

IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

The best thing, is a good
sling.

Poland
Reply #11 - Nov 4th, 2003 at 3:41pm

Yes he is, just with water. This is no Molotov coctail or nitroglycerin Wink

Jurek

In the shape, structure and position of each stone, there is recorded a small piece of history. So, slinging them, we add a bit of our history to them.

IP Logged

Whipartist
Past Moderator

Stone Slinger/Stick Thrower

Sand Creek, CA
Reply #12 - Nov 4th, 2003 at 8:13pm

Quote:
"behold a substance that is easy to form into a glandes and to see if they truly are more effective"

LOL!!!  Jack, I thought I was the only one who thought like that!  I just didn't have the courage to let people in on my secret.  Now I see I'm not alone.  Behold, to boldly make glands the way that no man has made them before!  I'm sure you must be making history man.

I'm very interested in our finding a standard way to make glands.  I agree with Chris about the football shape.  I made glands that way and they fit very securely in any sling cradle or pouch.  But I think ballistically, they are inferior to spheres for long distances.  Short range there is no problem. 

Actually I phrased that wrong.  I'm interested in our finding a standard material and technique for making glands.  The tennis ball way is maybe worth a try, I haven't looked into it.  I prefer an egg shape I think. 

I have three concerns.  Shape, standarized weight, and  durability.  I go with projectiles between 4-5 oz. 

The clay I used is durable enough for the tarps, but it's expensive.  $10 for 25 glands.  And they break on impact with a hard object.

Concrete is hard to manage it seems.  What about mason's mortor?

Clay works for me for now, but I'm always looking for improvements....   

Quote:
(Whipartist wins again with his o-so-beautiful, hand made andean slings!)
  Ah Jeff.  Too kind  Grin

Just wait till you see what I'm cooking up next  Wink  Heh heh.  But my yarn still hasn't come yet!!!!!  Backordered, puh!  I spit on that. 

I love split cradles.  I always loved slings.  But when I learned about split cradle slings!  My heart has been locked to them ever since.

Ben

IP Logged

JeffH
Past Moderator

Don't stand behind me,
I'm about to sling!

Memphis, TN
Reply #13 - Nov 4th, 2003 at 11:22pm

Ben, my man, you have plaited one too many cords.  You are getting poetic.

A slightly prolate sphere may be the answer.  It would fit into the pouch nicely but be very close to spherical for aerodynamic efficiency.

jeff <><

IP Logged

Whipartist
Past Moderator

Stone Slinger/Stick Thrower

Sand Creek, CA
Reply #14 - Nov 7th, 2003 at 5:01pm

Jeff,

Has it really been 3 days since I've been able to post!!  Man.  And I haven't practiced with my sling in 4 days then.  Shame on me.  Well life's a bit less hectic now.  I agree about the "prolate spheres" (good vocabularly there).  My next glands will be of that type just because I like the way it sounds. 

Jeff.  If you haven't done so already, post pictures of your new Shepherd's sling bag!!!

Must now go and kill some wolves after my sheep.  Ben

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, Kick, Chris, Rat Man, Morphy)