nemesis_3003
Tiro

hmmm now where my stone
go?

tennessee
a hole making meathod
Sep 25th, 2003 at 12:35am

heyall
i thought this might be helpfull for those who like t make leather slings with respect to the holes for the cords( if you intend to use cord Cheesy). ive tried many different methods of punching hole ofcourse u have your lether punch but for those of us who dont have one, get an eye screw the ruff size of your cord and make sure it has a pointed end not a blunt one and with all your might screw it into your leather. this method doesnt rip the leather Cheesy which is usually dissheartening Cheesy also this technique will work on any material
jack

IP Logged

Trebuchet
Descens

Ave, Caesar! Baliares
te salutimus!

Montgomery, AL
Re: a hole making meathod
Reply #1 - Oct 5th, 2007 at 8:01pm

nemesis_3003 wrote on Sep 25th, 2003 at 12:35am:
heyall
i thought this might be helpfull for those who like t make leather slings with respect to the holes for the cords( if you intend to use cord Cheesy). ive tried many different methods of punching hole ofcourse u have your lether punch but for those of us who dont have one, get an eye screw the ruff size of your cord and make sure it has a pointed end not a blunt one and with all your might screw it into your leather. this method doesnt rip the leather Cheesy which is usually dissheartening Cheesy also this technique will work on any material
jack    

I never would have thought of that.  If you have a few spare dollars and live near a Tandy Leather store, Tandy sells a neat hole punch shaped very like a pair of pliers with a rotating head that punches holes of different sizes.  Or, you can get a set of hole making punches.  They look like metal punches but have holes in the end.  Put the leather on a wood block, center the punch, and whack it with a hammer.  Makes a neat hole.  OR, you can take a fired .22 caliber casing, put the empty end down on the leather, hold it with pliers, and whack it with a hammer.   I made "O" rings for an MG's electric fuel pump using this method.  The material was tire (tyre) inner tube, an empty .22 casing, and an empty .308 casing.  The "grommet" or "seal"  worked perfectly.  It was a weekend, my friend's wife's MG was out of action, and there were no parts stores open.  And certainly no stores that carried spares for an MG.

Trebuchet Smiley

Go tell the Spartans, stranger passing by, that here, obedient to their law we lie.&&&&

IP Logged

Loki
Descens

One with the sling I am

Clovis, Ca.
Reply #2 - Oct 6th, 2007 at 12:58am

I have the same hole punch from Tandy. It works on everything.

Loki  
IP Logged

Lasse C

Nodeo, ergo sum

Vänersborg, Sweden
Reply #3 - Oct 6th, 2007 at 5:42am

When making appliqué braids like the one above, I have to make holes. Lots of holes, all lookin neat and being regularly placed. Preferrably fast, too, or it will take me all day just to make the holes! (Making the appliqué braid is time-consuming enough...)

My favourite method to make holes is to set up a suitable hole punch in my drill press, set the drill press on lowest speed and simply "drill" the holes! It´s as smooth as drilling in butter and the holes get very smooth and well-defined in the edges, being cut rather than punched. There is also considerably less wear on the punch (and my ears!).

I can definitely recommend it.

Lasse C

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #4 - Oct 6th, 2007 at 11:05am

whe i was in wyoming I just used the awl on mr gerber then folded and cut with the scissors to make the hole slightly bigger. basically leather is so resistant to tearing that it's not strictly necessary to make a neat round hole with a punch. It just looks better.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

M. Demetrius
Tiro

Central Texas
Reply #5 - Oct 7th, 2007 at 5:21pm

***Nodeo, ergo sum***
Quid "nodeo" significatne?

Saepe veritas est dura
IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #6 - Oct 7th, 2007 at 5:29pm

i just burn a hole with a nail i heated up

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

Trebuchet
Descens

Ave, Caesar! Baliares
te salutimus!

Montgomery, AL
Reply #7 - Oct 7th, 2007 at 9:28pm

lobohunter wrote on Oct 7th, 2007 at 5:29pm:
i just burn a hole with a nail i heated up

This may be the simplest method of all... not to mention least expensive.

Trebuchet

Go tell the Spartans, stranger passing by, that here, obedient to their law we lie.&&&&

IP Logged

Lasse C

Nodeo, ergo sum

Vänersborg, Sweden
Reply #8 - Oct 8th, 2007 at 3:22am

M. Demetrius wrote on Oct 7th, 2007 at 5:21pm:
***Nodeo, ergo sum***
Quid "nodeo" significante?

"Nodeo" is at least supposed to mean "I am knotting/tying knots"

Lasse C

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #9 - Oct 8th, 2007 at 8:55am

how does having a strong heat source and a nail and a heat proof surface at hand beat sticking  a hole through with a sharp object that most of us willl have in our pockets ? Or making a tiny fold in the leather and snipping it with scisors.
Both of these are far simpler than the hassle of having dangerous hot nails around - lobo has a forge so for him most of the kit is To hand. But for the rest of us It just sounds a bit dodgy :-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Trebuchet
Descens

Ave, Caesar! Baliares
te salutimus!

Montgomery, AL
Reply #10 - Oct 8th, 2007 at 11:45am

Curious Aardvark wrote on Oct 8th, 2007 at 8:55am:
how does having a strong heat source and a nail and a heat proof surface at hand beat sticking  a hole through with a sharp object that most of us willl have in our pockets ? Or making a tiny fold in the leather and snipping it with scisors.
Both of these are far simpler than the hassle of having dangerous hot nails around - lobo has a forge so for him most of the kit is To hand. But for the rest of us It just sounds a bit dodgy Smiley

Shoot, C_A.  With your aversion to hot nails and soldering irons I'm beginning to think you have thermophobia.    Grin

Trebuchet

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Kick, Morphy, Rat Man, vetryan15, Chris, Curious Aardvark)