Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
A couple more... (Read 8522 times)
LeonX22

Whack!  Eat stone grasshopper!!!

Michigan, USA
A couple more...
Sep 21st, 2003 at 12:56pm

I threw a couple more slings together earlier this weekend.

Except for a few minor differances, the top sling was made pretty much like my first one.  The pouch is a bit larger and made of cow hide instead of dear hide.  I made this one for my friends birthday.  He likes snakes, as you can see.

The arms of the other sling are made of braided deer hide.  They are quite lenghty and will stretch when whirled.  These factors combined has created a sling with quite alot of power.  I must say that I was quite suprised when I firts tried it out.

Again the designs on the pouch were burned into the leather.

I made this design on the fly.  It is a touch lop-sided but hey, who's perfect.   Wink

Leon
« Last Edit: Sep 24th, 2003 at 11:34pm by Chris »  

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Re: A couple more...
Reply #1 - Sep 21st, 2003 at 4:44pm

As usual, very nice work.  What type of cords are you using for the second one?

Chris

IP Logged

LeonX22

Michigan, USA
Reply #2 - Sep 21st, 2003 at 6:23pm

Braided deerhide, as I mentined above.

I wound't say my braiding skills are too good, but it turned out fairly well.  I used the only baid that I know, just a typical hair braid with three strands (where you loop the outside strands over the middle).

Leon

IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

The best thing, is a good
sling.

Poland
Reply #3 - Sep 23rd, 2003 at 4:31pm

Leon, solid and nice design, I like the decorations, straps fixing and the hide, of course Smiley

I just saw your throw to the can, I was impressed really. Your technique for accuracy seems very dynamic, it must give a quite good power, I like it.
I'm curious what is your approximate efficiency in percentages. When I was watching your clip with the loopback it seemed to be 100% Wink

Leon, don't you fear of rebonds?

Jurek

In the shape, structure and position of each stone, there is recorded a small piece of history. So, slinging them, we add a bit of our history to them.

IP Logged

nemesis_3003
Tiro

hmmm now where my stone
go?

tennessee
Reply #4 - Sep 24th, 2003 at 6:34pm

hey leon
i was looking at the design, are your rings connected to to your pocket (after the peices that u have turned over) by rivets or snaps??? i geuss it is a stupid question because if they are snaps then u would have the fear of them coming undone in the wind up but wut the heck ill ask anyway lol  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
jack

IP Logged

LeonX22

Michigan, USA
Reply #5 - Sep 24th, 2003 at 10:57pm

Yep.  I just connected with a copper rivet.  These rivets are super strong though.  It’s a real bi*** to get one apart if you mess up on construction.  I have to drill it, grind it, and chisel it....just to loosen.  They are definitely more than adequate for slinging.

Yurek:

Hmm.....I'm not sure exactly what my accuracy would be percentage wise.  Truthfully, I have only two results when I use this method.  My bullet will either hit straight on or very proximal to the target, or it will fly 3-4 ft. to the left past the target, landing in pretty much the same spot. 

The miss to the left occurs when I don't employ the technique effectively.  If I don't throw my arm underhand enough, on the release, (as is explained in the article) the bullet flies out of the pouch too late.  Thus, to the left it goes, and aggravatingly so!

When I get rid of this bad habit of throwing to the left, I'll let you know what the percentage rate is.  The problem I have is that the late release feels more natural than the quick underhand.  Regardless, when employed correctly, my accuracy has been great (my poor can is in a sorry state...hehe).

You should give it a try and see how it works for you.   Wink

Leon

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #6 - Sep 24th, 2003 at 11:36pm

You say you burned the design into the pouch, but how are you forming the circle behind the design?  Or are you just staining the leather around that?

Chris

IP Logged

nemesis_3003
Tiro

hmmm now where my stone
go?

tennessee
Reply #7 - Sep 25th, 2003 at 12:21am

hey leon
the best method of getting a rivet out is by puting a cold chisel in the center of the side that you rounded and hammer it and the sides of the rivet should bend upwards and u can pull it out, you might have to then get a punch to get it out but this method is the most effective  Wink
jack

IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

The best thing, is a good
sling.

Poland
Reply #8 - Sep 28th, 2003 at 4:42pm

Leon,

I tried, but couldn't compare to your "dance"Smiley. I should rather keep my own. I think that a permanent rhythm of the all body helps to feel the proper release moment. Anyway it's great.

Jurek

In the shape, structure and position of each stone, there is recorded a small piece of history. So, slinging them, we add a bit of our history to them.

IP Logged

Whipartist
Past Moderator

Stone Slinger/Stick Thrower

Sand Creek, CA
Reply #9 - Sep 28th, 2003 at 11:56pm

Leon,

Very nice.  I like your designs.  I think I've noticed the same thing with my slings.  I have a few braided slings.  One of them uses a braid that is more stretchy than the others, and it seems to have more power as a result.  I can't tell why.

Ben

IP Logged

Legionare_Atimon
Tiro

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #10 - Aug 9th, 2006 at 7:30pm

Awesome Slings! Anyway I could get ahold of one of those with the braided release strings?

IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #11 - Aug 9th, 2006 at 9:56pm

hey i think you fell into the old post trap.  notice how the last post before you was about 3 years ago?  i know that a couple of those members don't frequent the boards anymore, and i think that the makers of those slings has taken off

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

Legionare_Atimon
Tiro

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #12 - Aug 10th, 2006 at 11:36am

Gotcha! OK! Happy Make sure the post is not old got it.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, Morphy, Rat Man, Chris, vetryan15, Kick)