David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Re: Accuracy Plus Power
Reply #15 - Sep 12th, 2003 at 7:49am

Chris ,

Boys and their toys! We must have too much time on our hands. Glow in the dark hey? Now we are talking "slingstone tracers! Cool!!

Good idea for holes on the molds

David

IP Logged

Todd
Novicius

Southwest Virginia
Reply #16 - Sep 14th, 2003 at 10:07am

DAVID_T

I tried the concrete in the egg method a time or two myself. These "Easter eggs" come cheap at Wal-Mart the day after. Easter, that is. Second hand stores, GoodWill, Dollar Tree, ect. I used fast setting mortar 'cause it is smoother (no gravel) and sets in about 8 minutes. This is available at any hardware store. Problem. It sets fast, which is good, but I could only mix a two egg batch at a time or it would just set up in the bowl. Also had trouble getting the "egg" off afterwards. I gave it up and just left the plastic on. A couple of impacts did the job for me. I dropped the whole idea after awhile due to the amount of production time per egg. I did figure out, during this phase, that if I filled only half the egg with quick setting hobby plaster (less than 5 minutes) put it back together and rolled it round and round in my hand, the plaster coated the inside surface and produced a hollow plaster egg!
                   What I want is a pick-up full of ammo fast and cheap enough to "let lay". Think about this. If you were to take a length of corrugated steel drain pipe, mounted in such away that it will rotate on an incline (with rotation and incline adjustable), you should be able to drop a pre-measured scoop of "stiff" morter in one end. As it rolls inside of and down the spiral groove, it will (should, might) set up in a spherical shape as fast as you can scoop it in. That is my theory anyway. An incline may not be needed.
                  Anyway, there you go.

Todd

IP Logged

Brent
Tiro

guns don't kill people,
slings do!

charlotte,NC
Reply #17 - Sep 17th, 2003 at 1:16pm

hey,
i also have an idea, you can get sculpey at wal mart or micheals in blaze orange,put a 50. caliber black powder sabot or ball in a american footbalshaped piece of sculpey.heavy,accurate,and very easy to find after slinging it....... perfect.
David,
i live in charlotte,NC but my bro just started at furman univ you probly know.brent,my email
mammut109@netscape.net,
brent

mammut109  
IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #18 - Sep 17th, 2003 at 10:22pm

Todd,

Cool Idea!! You should give it a try. I may if I ever find time.  Dave

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #19 - Jun 12th, 2004 at 9:23pm

I thought I would re-introduce this topic. When I first found this forum I learned alot from it.

I thought the new members would find it informative. Us old guys may learn some more if people ask questions and we all contribute what we can.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Chris, joe_meadmaker, Kick, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15)