hey ^_^ (Read 6142 times)
nemesis_3003
Tiro

hmmm now where my stone
go?

tennessee
hey ^_^
Aug 25th, 2003 at 4:38pm

heyall just found this site  Grin ive been lookin fr quite a while . i been slingin fr bout 3 yrs now made quite a few slings but i never have had any sling that just wouldnt work  so i geuss im very fortunate lol in fact i just made one tday its bouta foot long n shoots a marble bout 135 feet which is very good i think for such a small sling. but is it is the next question????? any way im trying t get more acurate could anyone tell me the best way of going bout doin tht??? later

jack

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Re: hey ^_^
Reply #1 - Aug 25th, 2003 at 4:56pm

Welcome Jack,

The best place to start is by reading the related articles on the site.  I would suggest Bill Blohm's article, "Slinging advice for beginners" and my article, "A simple guide: how to sling". 

The second thing I would try is making a larger sling (if you haven't already made one).  I prefer slings about 3 foot long.  I've heard the ideal length is the distance from your heart to your left hand. 

Also try heavier projectiles.  While marbles are good for smaller slings, I recommend trying heavier projectiles, like golf-ball-sized rocks.  The added weight often helps you get a better sense of position, and thus release angle.

Let us know how your fare,
Chris

IP Logged

nemesis_3003

Reply #2 - Aug 25th, 2003 at 8:55pm

hey thx
um well the largest sling ive made is 3 n a half feet long
with an anglers loop thats desighned for the wrist andon the other cord is a doubled 4 bight 3 lead turk's head with the working end tucked into the knot itself thus leaving only the end leading to the pocket visible. the pocket is 4 in. by 6 in. its made of an old pair of dockers and is folded 4 times over and sewed. i punched 2 holes one on each side with an awl and sewed round those, all of the stiching being doubled Cheesy. the cords are atached via bowline loops. so thx for your advice ill surely read tht article carefully, and thx for your your advice bout the length. with respect to ammo you are also correct with the sling i  just now described i was able to get a snowball bout 2 in. in diameter bout 42 feet up and 110 feet from where i wus standing, which i used underhand launch for. thanks again

jack

IP Logged

archeorob
Descens

Know when to duck!

Wisconsin
Reply #3 - Sep 8th, 2003 at 10:32pm

Nemesis, Nice design!! Wink

As for mine, I agree with Chris, go with the longer lines.  I just measured, and normally my cords are 2 1/2 feet long.  I use one that is just under two feet, but my favorite is 3 1/2 feet.  Your pocket size is good...as you already know Embarrassed

GrinGood Luck slinging!

Rob

Archeorob rob+Fullmer  
IP Logged

nemesis_3003
Tiro

hmmm now where my stone
go?

tennessee
Reply #4 - Sep 15th, 2003 at 12:30am

thx rob
i find that with this length that its nearly impossible to aim with a single swipe release, however the large sherical knot on the end of the release cord is quite comfortable and easy to keap a holed of  Cheesy. i also came up with a pocket design that wus about7 in. SQ and had a cord for each corner.now the way i connected the cords to the pocket, instead of using 4 cords a got a cord for each end bout 6 FT long and doubled them over and conected eac end of the cord to the corner parralel to it and tyed a knot just above the pocket. thus i wus left with 2 loops when i got finnished so i just tied a loop on one end a overhand on the other. it shot a snowball bout 5 in. in diameter maybe 200 ft or so but anyway my 3 footer goes much further. How far have u been able to get a projectile???? Thx
jack

IP Logged

nemesis_3003
Tiro

hmmm now where my stone
go?

tennessee
Reply #5 - Sep 15th, 2003 at 8:54pm

if u want i can send u a pic rob  Smiley
jack

IP Logged

Chris

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #6 - Sep 15th, 2003 at 8:58pm

If you email it to me, i'll post it in the forum.

chrios@rocketmail.com

Chris

IP Logged

nemesis_3003
Tiro

hmmm now where my stone
go?

tennessee
Reply #7 - Sep 16th, 2003 at 12:26am

thx ill send it over s soon i have it Smiley thx chris
jack

IP Logged

archeorob
Descens

Know when to duck!

Wisconsin
Reply #8 - Sep 16th, 2003 at 9:48am

Yeah, do send a photo.  I'd love to see it!  Grin

It sound similar to a design given in a Wilderness Way article (see the references post).  But I like the original twist to it.  I've always thought that, like so many other things in ancient times, sling designs were personal, and a point of pride with the owner.

I really like the idea of the folded over string.  I look forward to seeing it!

Rob

Archeorob rob+Fullmer  
IP Logged

nemesis_3003
Tiro

hmmm now where my stone
go?

tennessee
Reply #9 - Sep 17th, 2003 at 12:41am

srry i wusnt able t get the pic tday rob a friend borowed my cam, u should have t by tommorow though  Cheesy ill try t get some clear ones Cheesy
jack

IP Logged

nemesis_3003
Tiro

hmmm now where my stone
go?

tennessee
Reply #10 - Sep 21st, 2003 at 4:48pm

hey chris somin rong with my comp i keep getin delivery status notification failures so ill have t work that out before i can get the pics t u
jack

IP Logged

Chris

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #11 - Sep 21st, 2003 at 11:06pm

Make sure the attachments aren't to large.  Give me a heads up for anything larger than 3mb.  Also make sure your sending it to chrios@rocketmail.com

Chris

IP Logged

nemesis_3003
Tiro

hmmm now where my stone
go?

tennessee
Reply #12 - Sep 23rd, 2003 at 4:42pm

hey chris did u get the emaill i sent???
thx
jack

IP Logged

Chris

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #13 - Sep 23rd, 2003 at 9:18pm

Yep.  The images have been uploaded.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, David Morningstar)