Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
glandes single or multiple projectiles? (Read 21213 times)
Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Re: glandes single or multiple projectiles?
Reply #30 - Dec 7th, 2003 at 12:56am

Well, golf balls aren't super high velocity, but manufactures put dimples on them.

Jurek, why are the finished glandes so rough?  I would have imagined them to have a very smooth metallic finish.

Chris

IP Logged

Hondero

Madrid-SPAIN
deviatiRe: glandes single or multiple projectiles?
Reply #31 - Dec 7th, 2003 at 12:53pm

Yurek, really when the pouch is greater than the projectile, it takes air inside in the launching, making unpredictable deviations in shoots.
As far as dimples in glandes, I am afraid they do not work Roll Eyes. They work very well in golf balls, that are much more light in relation to the volume, due to the turbulence effect that you mention.  Imagine a lead golf ball with dimples  Cheesy... it doesn´t work, sure.

Jesús
« Last Edit: Dec 7th, 2003 at 6:39pm by Hondero »  

He brought a conquering sword..., a shield..., a spear... , a sling from which no erring shot was discharged.&&
IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #32 - Dec 7th, 2003 at 2:10pm

To dimple, or not to dimple, this is the question Grin I love the discussion here. We will have Yurek set a world record yet!!  Go Yurek!

IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

The best thing, is a good
sling.

Poland
Reply #33 - Dec 7th, 2003 at 6:46pm

Chris,

For making my mold I used common plaster, the paterns I fashioned from plasticine (quite nicely). I made only two shapes: the ellipsoid one and the drop second one. The mold was two-piece, so the last projectiles had got some feedhead (the frill ?) which I had to file smooth. The used materials didn't give the ideal surface but it was not so bad. It was my first experimental teeming. As result, I got 5 drops (90 g) and 5 baseballs (exactly 100 g).

Jesús,

Anyway, sure you are right, the smaller pouch is better due to aerodynamics. But about an influence of dimples (or rouhness)
in glandes flight I'm not convinced yet. I think the "lead dimpled golf ball" should have smaller air drag than smooth one, because
mass have no relation with air drag. However I agree that the range increase isn't so big for heavy "lead golf ball" because it carries much more kinetic energy relative to air drag, than a real lighter golf ball. So maybe the dimples would be en overstatment for lead glandes. But It follows me to think that a bit rough surface of glandes is not so bad and it isn't worth polishining or somethin like that. I hope my explanation is clear. Mayby I'm wrong.

David,

Thanks, I'm open for every support and I would be gratefull.

Today I tested my 10 glandes on my "measure spot" with the just made special sling for them. I was a litlle bit stressed because I had got only 10 tries. First I slung the "drop glandes" and as I expected they was getting the wild fly from the pouch, almost all ones flew with noise. But anyway the "drops" travelled pleasantly far relative to good stones even, they vanished. Next I tested the rugby-shaped glandes. They all flew  
completely voicelessly. Folks! I slung too flat but what fly it was! Simply pure delight for my eyes. It is quite different than slinging stones. But I didn't know where they touched down.

I slung from 500 m (1640 ft) distance to the viaduct. Look please at the picture (that one was taken from 250 m to the viadust in October):

http://www.slinging.org/forum2/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=1;action=display;num=10650944...

I finished quickly and impatiently come back to my wife who hidden behind of the white ruin wall observed the aim zone.
Guys, she "raported" me that  heard no flied projectiles, but...,
but... she heard... one clear... knock into the steel part of the viaduct! She is sure that was the my shot.

So it looks like I'm ready! Probably Smiley

Jurek
« Last Edit: Dec 8th, 2003 at 3:15pm by Yurek »  

In the shape, structure and position of each stone, there is recorded a small piece of history. So, slinging them, we add a bit of our history to them.

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #34 - Dec 8th, 2003 at 1:14am

I think your right on Jurek.

Chris

IP Logged

Hondero

Madrid-SPAIN
Reply #35 - Dec 8th, 2003 at 5:18am

You are completely right, Yurek, in all you say about dimpled glandes. It´s almost indifferent  the finish of their surface in relation with the reach, since the main effect in the air drag is the shape. Congratulations for your first experience with glandes. It is not really amazing to throw glandes? The problem as you say is the  mesure of the range, since glandes are invisible in the flight. The bridge on which you shoot is a solution. Another is to throw from a distant spot on a lake so that the impacts fall in the border of the water, and to arrange a refuge here to the observer. How is the special sling for glandes that you have done?

Jesús

He brought a conquering sword..., a shield..., a spear... , a sling from which no erring shot was discharged.&&
IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

sling.

Poland
outrelRe: glandes single or multiple projectiles?
Reply #36 - Dec 8th, 2003 at 6:21pm

Jesús, slinging the glandes was for me a great and amazing experience, indeed. It's a pity they don't grow on trees, like acorns Cry

I may not tell you about my sling for the glandes, because it's my top secret weapon Wink But seriously, It is no high tech design. Just the small piece of rather soft leather, 3 cm wide in the center section which is 5 cm long. On both sides of this rectangular section are mild half-elliptical narrowings. The all pouch lenght is 13 cm, in the central section there is the 4 cm longitudinal cut (slit) for better keeping projectiles. The ends of the pouch are strenghten by the small piececes of leather (fixed by glue) and they have the small punched holes for fixing cords.

The cord diameter is 3,5 mm, it's the double core pulled out from 6 mm plaited rope. I have kept the release and loop ends with a bit orginal braiding, for my fingers comfort. So the thumb leather loop and release knot are on short sections of the full orginal rope.

The lenght of that sling (from midle of the pouch to the knot) was 120 cm (~47") durring the test, I can adjust the cords lenght by the special "short-knots" situated close the "full rope" sections. I think, that's all.

Jurek

In the shape, structure and position of each stone, there is recorded a small piece of history. So, slinging them, we add a bit of our history to them.

IP Logged

magnumslinger
Descens

I don't sling a thing
if I ain't got my sling!

United Arab Emirates
Reply #37 - Jan 23rd, 2004 at 5:28am

Dear Jurek,

I hope you will break that world record someday!  I grabbed a copy of an old Guiness World Records book (I think it was in Bali last year.  I'm going back there in a couple of weeks on holiday, so I can see if it's still at the used book store there.  (Somewhat likely, because they have had a big lag in tourism lately, and not many tourists probably want to read an outdated world record book!)  It had the slining world's record along with a picture of the guy, sling and ammunition used.  It may help you to know that the "sling he used did not resemble anything that you or I might think of when we try to picture a "sling", at least not in the conventional sense of the term.  From what I can recall, I think he used some gizmo that looked like a 5 foot-plus-long cable thing with a push-button release similar to that used in remote camera photography (where the photographer can take his own photograph by pushing the cable wire button with his thumb), or to using a mechanical bowstring release assist in modern archery. The release mechanism was hooked to the middle of a very long DART, which somewhat resembled a modern military mortar round in shape.  It was a very elongated, aerodynamic dart with a lot of glide factor, from what I could see.  Perhaps you already MAY, or soon SHALL hold the world distance record for a CONVENTIONAL sling and glande?  Why not contact Guinness, and see what THEY think regarding this as a possible separate category for a world record?

Slinging.org people are progressive preservers of pre-historic protective, pantry-packing, and post-paleolithic parabellum practices...and they're also generally REALLY COOL!  Their bootlaces are their arsenal, and the world is their ammo dump!

IP Logged

Hondero

Madrid-SPAIN
Reply #38 - Jan 23rd, 2004 at 12:59pm

Magnum, I´m very interested in that modern sling-like thing. Some times I´ve thought in such an optimazed sling for competition. Please, can you draw the thing as you remember it? Smiley

Hondero
« Last Edit: Jan 23rd, 2004 at 4:22pm by Hondero »  

IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

sling.

Poland
Reply #39 - Jan 23rd, 2004 at 4:08pm

magnumslinger,

Welcome on the board!

Thank you for the interest and informations about GWR.
The forum is running faster and faster, so I can't  keep up with it with my sluggish English Wink I read the all posts but I'm not able to write as much as I want. I wonder how your mentioned sling looks. Inspired by Whipartist I have made one from special 1.1 mm cord. It can raise 90 kg! Hope to try that and the glandes this weekend.

On Guinness record, over six weeks ago I sent to the Guinness World Records in London the application form via their website. According to their promise I already should get the decision, terms and informations about the newest record. But so far there is no answer from GWR Sad I know from editor of the Polish G's Book that the guys in London are overwhelmed through a lots aplications. So sometimes they don't replay quite or are late. The editor advised me that it would be good to repeat the aplication and to quote in it the exact name of the last record and detailed informations about that. It woud be the best to take them exactly from the GWR data base or from the some English version GR Book. It should make easy grading the attempt and  urge the guys from London to fast approval.

So, I would be grateful for such kind informations.

I'm also curious of different variation of a sling design. Maybe it would be easier for you to use the scaner than digital camera if you would like to put pictures here?

Greetings,

Jurek

IP Logged

Whipartist
Past Moderator

Stone Slinger/Stick Thrower

Sand Creek, CA
Reply #40 - Jan 23rd, 2004 at 6:09pm

This is very interesting.  The Guiness book I saw was from the late 90's I believe, and had no pictures at all.  It was a bigger thinner book than most of the Guiness's I've seen.  It described the sling as 50" and that the record was made with a 2.5oz "dart."  I looked it up on purpose, that's why I went to the library Wink   

I've often imagined what it would look like and what tricks this guy used, and hence I came up with the split cradle, cable sling.  I've also thought about archery releases.  But this sounds even more "hi tech." 

Actually, I'm surprised they gave this guy the world record.  That thing hardly sounds like a sling to me.  Did it have a cradle?  Maybe you could call it a Cestrosphendon, but I think a sling must have a cradle.

Do you remember what year the book was?  I'm very interested in seeing those pictures, or atleast a drawing.

Ben

IP Logged

magnumslinger
Descens

I don't sling a thing
if I ain't got my sling!

United Arab Emirates
Reply #41 - Jan 30th, 2004 at 4:01pm

Dear Ben/Whipartist,

(Sorry about the delay in answering!  I've been chasing tickets, documents, ect. for my work visa, preparing for my holiday, etc., so have neglected my internet activities for the past few days.)  I'll be in Kuta where I believe I saw the pictures (hope it wasn't Bangkok, but I don't think so!  Funny how holidays/visa runs all seem to run together for an expat itenerant prof! : Embarrassed

Anyhow, I will try to buy the book if I see it and scan the picture and send it to you (or I could try to photocopy and fax it), if I can find the book!  I agree that it doesn't seem to me to be what would normally be thought of as a sling by most slingers!  Your idea sounds a lot better for a conventional modern sling design!  I don't remember what year it was, but the picture caught my eye, and like you, I was also surprised  that they considered the device to be okay for the record without qualifying that it was a special category of distance-only "sling".  Looked more like some super whiz kid's high school science project after the feds confiscated his "improved" lap top hydrogen bomb prototype Shocked!

Slinging.org people are progressive preservers of pre-historic protective, pantry-packing, and post-paleolithic parabellum practices...and they're also generally REALLY COOL!  Their bootlaces are their arsenal, and the world is their ammo dump!

IP Logged

magnumslinger
Descens

I don't sling a thing
if I ain't got my sling!

United Arab Emirates
Reply #42 - Jan 30th, 2004 at 4:15pm

Oops!  I also forgot to mention that the thing most definitely did NOT have a pouch of any sort, but rather a sort of hook like the one that holds a key ring in place ("G-clamp" or swivel opening  design ???).  The release mechanism seemed to slip back a retaining pin, or hing, as best as I recall, and unhook, sort of the reverse function from that of a "tailhook" on a carrier-launched navy fighter jet.

I suppose it was as much a "sling" as a tied stone or bolos can be considered a prototype ("proto-sling"?)/variation of the sling, respectively, but I think a separate category for a "real", regular, or  CONVENTIONAL slinging record might well be warranted, and that the Guinness staff might be receptive to such a re-categorization Wink?

IP Logged

magnumslinger
Descens

I don't sling a thing
if I ain't got my sling!

United Arab Emirates
Reply #43 - Jan 30th, 2004 at 4:24pm

Dear Hondero,

(once again, sorry for the time lag in answering you!)  I will try to either send a drawing or copy of the photo for posting for you and whoever else may be interested in the design, if I can find the book again in Bali!  Thanks for also being interested in it.  I hope it will help you in your special category slinging, as I would also like to try it out!  I have been interested in, and using several quasi-sling devices, and find that many are quite potentially useful, such as the Chinese "meteor ball" weapon, the Mongolian weighted lasso/lasu, and "string bullets"/pocket "arrows", etc.

IP Logged

magnumslinger
Descens

I don't sling a thing
if I ain't got my sling!

United Arab Emirates
Reply #44 - Jan 30th, 2004 at 4:33pm

Dera Yurek,

Thank you for your kind welcome, good suggestions and message.  I will try to find as much information to help you achieve the record as I can. If  I were you, I would DEFINITELY keep reapplying to whatever multiple addresses you may be able to obtain for the Guinness people, as that is the best way to beat overworked bureaucracy and the law of averages: resubmit, resubmit, RESUBMIT!!! Wink  I'll soon be on the ground and stalking the used book stalls in the Kuta/Legian area hunting for that book!  Thank you for all of your great posts that I have enjoyed reading so much!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Morphy, Chris)