Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
When size does matter! (Read 7892 times)
thrower1970
Tiro

A hurling we will go!!!

Houston, Texas
When size does matter!
Aug 11th, 2003 at 6:29pm

Has anyone made a sling for indoor use?  You know, on those rainy days when you are stuck inside and can either watch TV or get in a little practice with the extra time?

I love to throw knives (Chris posted a link on a Thrower group I am a member of which led me here), and I have set up a small range in my garage (two car, about 23 feet a side) and it works great for my small knives.  What about a sling?  I can use my sling shot in there using a pellet trap, as well as the pellet pistol, but I don't really have a good design for a sling to use in such a comfined space.  Any ideas?

Ron

IP Logged

Jimb
Tiro

Fiber slings rock

Henderson, NV
Re: When size does matter!
Reply #1 - Aug 11th, 2003 at 7:51pm

I would say keep the sling length short, a retention cord length of about 12 to 18 inches.

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #2 - Aug 12th, 2003 at 2:18am

I did some slinging inside and it was a disaster. 

It was during a high school ceramics class.  I had brought in my sling (as I often did), and decided to make a new “abstract” piece.  Tongue  I made a nice 2-inch ball of clay and prepared to make art.  Maybe I was nervous or something, but I could barely hit the wall in front of me.  Eventually I did about 2 pounds of clay later.  It was rather useless in the end because the clay ball just flattened to nothing and was so deeply embedded into the texture of the concrete wall, I couldn't get it off. 

Slinging is great for range!  It's like shooting a sniper rifle at cans 10 feet away.  You want the satisfaction of watching your rock sail 300 feet...... into some guy's front window.   Undecided

IP Logged

archeorob
Descens

Know when to duck!

Wisconsin
Reply #3 - Aug 12th, 2003 at 11:05am

I saw one individual that used one as a demonstration in one of my college classes once.  His was small enough to use lightly indoors.  He made it from two pieces of string with a small cloth pouch.  He used it to throw those little bouncy balls from the gumball machines (you know, the 10 cent(ers). 

Short might work.  Several websites suggest the idea of starting with a short sling in the first place in order to get used to the feel of the throw and to get your technique down.  It can be used both loaded and unloaded for this, but...let's be realistic.  What fun is a sling if you don't chuck something with it. Smiley

Rob

Archeorob rob+Fullmer  
IP Logged

Chris

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #4 - Aug 12th, 2003 at 1:21pm

I find that short slings are harder to handle.  Because of their smaller radius, they accelerate very quickly and get hard to release accurately.  The minimum sling I would consider using would be 18 inches.

IP Logged

BillB
Tiro

If it's outdoors....

USA
Reply #5 - Aug 13th, 2003 at 1:55pm

I think I have to agree with Chris that the small ones are more difficult. However, for indoor use, reading these posts gave me an idea.

What about Nerf balls for ammo?

With a small "sling", say 12 inches long, you could maybe just use the same principle as the trebuchet, but with your arm as the main beam? Just a quick overhand, sideways, underhand, overhead, whatever, no spinning around at all.

Hmmm. We all have Nerf guns here at work for when the occasional war breaks out amongst our aisles and cubes. Maybe a small sling and some Nerf balls is in order for longer range....

Bill B.

Bill B.

IP Logged

thrower1970
Tiro

A hurling we will go!!!

Houston, Texas
Reply #6 - Aug 21st, 2003 at 3:10am

OK, Bill, now you are giving me ideas that my boss will not find amusing.  Oh well, I guess you gotta live a little.

Anyway, I think I will try your idea, only I have a supply of wiffle (spelling?) balls that my dogs technically own, but do not play with.  I think I will give them a try.  They seem to work well on a smaller scale for practice golf (you know, the golf ball size ones that go about 15 feet using a driver).

Thanks,

Ron

IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

The best thing, is a good
sling.

Poland
Reply #7 - Sep 11th, 2003 at 6:13pm

Knot for adjusting a sling.

For people who like to experiment with a lenght of sling. You don't need a few slings. You only need a bit of skill and two minutes of time to adjust your sling.
For example you can 4' sling short to 2' for an indoor practice. It's working  for me and looks really well.  Cheesy

Instructions are below.

Then ready. Enjoy.  Cheesy

Jurek
« Edit: 2005-05-07 at 15:56 by Yurek »
Image Rescue Project: Images now hosted at Slinging.org.
« Last Edit: May 31st, 2007 at 8:40pm by Dale »  

In the shape, structure and position of each stone, there is recorded a small piece of history. So, slinging them, we add a bit of our history to them.

IP Logged

Chris

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #8 - Sep 11th, 2003 at 8:08pm

This is similar to a sheep shank, right?  Just with proper knots holding them in place.

Pretty nifty post and pictures.  Thanks Yurek.

IP Logged

nemesis_3003
Tiro

hmmm now where my stone
go?

tennessee
Reply #9 - Sep 11th, 2003 at 8:26pm

the smallest one ive made wus 10 in. and the most effective way t use it is a one overhand swipe so try tht

jack

IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

sling.

Poland
Reply #10 - Sep 16th, 2003 at 10:53am

Chris,
thx for the nice words Smiley

Jack,
An "one overhand swipe" method is very smart. It would be useful for fight or hunting. But I prefer the long cords, I admire a power wich a long sling gives. I love a impressive crack during a shot, just a shot not a throw. Smiley I practice my accuracy with the long sling too but I have a long way before me yet. Smiley

Jurek

In the shape, structure and position of each stone, there is recorded a small piece of history. So, slinging them, we add a bit of our history to them.

IP Logged

JeffH
Past Moderator

Don't stand behind me,
I'm about to sling!

Memphis, TN
Reply #11 - Sep 17th, 2003 at 12:11pm

thrower1970,

Try this:  make some baseball sized yarn balls (like really big fork fuzzies).  These things are great.  They fly well but slow down quickly and don't damage the wife's pretty things too badly.  And they are fairly accurate They are easy to make, if a little time consuming.  Also, they last and last and last.

We have a couple dozen around the house.  My kids and I sometimes throw them by hand at each other in games of tag.

I can get you instructions for them if you like.

Jeff - who likes to throw things!

So David triumphed over the Philistine with a sling and a stone. (1 Samuel 17:50)

IP Logged

archeorob
Descens

Know when to duck!

Wisconsin
Reply #12 - Sep 17th, 2003 at 12:56pm

Jurek, great demonstration of the sheepshank sling!  I've heard it described elsewhere, but always lacked the photos to associate with it.  They look great! Grin
Now I've just got to wait until I get home from work and I'll make several!

Jeff, I'd actually like instructions for the yarn balls.  Sounds pretty cool.  I'm always looking for a way to practice indoors without injuring anyone or destroying our living room.  Wink

Rob

Archeorob rob+Fullmer  
IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #13 - Mar 6th, 2005 at 11:07am

Yurek,
I was reading in the old pages of the forum today and found a link to this thread. As a knot tyer, and a member of the International Guild of Knot Tyers, I am very curious. But alas, it is one of the ones with the pictures missing.

Are you able to post those pictures again?

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

sling.

Poland
Reply #14 - Mar 6th, 2005 at 2:05pm

Willeke,

I posted quite a lot pictures to the forum, alas, most of them have disappeared, due to problems with the host. I would like to change the addresses, but it would be very toilful Sad

I'm glad, that you have dug out that old topic. I have just restored the pictures of the knot.

http://www.slinging.org/forum2/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=1;action=display;num=10606409...

I still use them to reduce the lenght of some my slings. The knot can be used as a provisory cradle as well, so one could make a sling of a one piece of cord.
I think, since you are a knots expert, most probably, you could find out a better design. It would be cool. For my thin-cord-slings I use the Taut-line Hitch. It allows to change the sling lenght very quickly.

Jurek
« Last Edit: Mar 6th, 2005 at 3:08pm by Yurek »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Kick, joe_meadmaker, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, Chris)