Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The Flail (Read 3878 times)
ShieldBearer
Novicius

Kirby rocks!

The Flail
Aug 9th, 2003 at 7:28pm

Does anyone have any information about when the flail was first used?

KIrby Dancing- (>

IP Logged

LeonX22

Whack!  Eat stone grasshopper!!!

Michigan, USA
Re: The Flail
Reply #1 - Aug 15th, 2003 at 9:25am

I don't think the exact date when the flail was first used has been deduced.  It's at once difficult to access because the implement originates from more than one region and time. 

The flail itself was a "jointed weapon consisting of a spiked, flanged or knobbed steel bludgeon joined by a chain to a short wood or steel haft"

The weapon has been found in Europe, India, China, and Japan.  It is theorized to be a modified agricultural device similar to the one used to thresh grain.  It has, in many different forms, been used as an implement of war from the 13th to 18th century in Europe. 

From personal experience in combat reproduction, the flail if used correctly can be a devastating close combat device.  It proves most efficient when used in conjunction with a large shield because the weapon itself cannot be used defensively.  Offensively speaking, it is very effective when wrapped over the top of an opponent’s shield.  Unlike a sword, the flail will double back when it hits the shield side and strike the opponent on the reverse side of the head or midsection. 

Well, that’s pretty much all I know.  Hope that helps.

Leon

IP Logged

ShieldBearer
Novicius

Kirby rocks!

Reply #2 - Aug 24th, 2003 at 3:13pm

Thanks.

KIrby Dancing- (>

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #3 - Aug 1st, 2004 at 8:08am

I had a flail it was a cheap little thing that broke very easy.
There are lots of flail types out there bishops flail  used a spiked tube, not a spiked ball that was used more by peasents.
The bishops flail was more used for serimonieal things in the church.
A good place to find a nice flail (if you dont mind the price) is

http://www.knightsedge.com/catalog/18-19.htm

thats only a page from there catalog but the flail is there.

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Sean

(@")=====@(kirb y boxing)

Florida
Reply #4 - Aug 1st, 2004 at 6:12pm

... i didnt know a flail could be made with a short sword... hmm ill have to find out more info on that
Sean

*shatter* I HIT A WINDOW RUN!!!!!!
sharpieman99  
IP Logged

S_ALLEN
Descens

N.Y.
Reply #5 - Aug 6th, 2004 at 10:30pm

Flails have been around as a improvised weapon as long as grain has been grown, and the first farmer whacked his neighbour over the head with it. There are almost as many types of flails as there are swords.
If you want a good flail go almost any place other than knights edge. Try  http://www.armouronline.com/      http://www.kovex-ars.cz/indexe.html or,http://www.museumreplicas.com/webstore/homepage.asp,http://www.bytheswordinc.com/new/catalog.htm

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #6 - Aug 7th, 2004 at 7:51am

I got a warhammer from knights edge and it is realy well made it was from ritter steel. I also got there halbred its ok but it would be better if the part where the axe head meets the shaft or handel was thicker

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

S_ALLEN
Descens

N.Y.
Reply #7 - Aug 7th, 2004 at 9:10pm

Some of the stuff from knights edge is fine although a little heavy, I just have handled their flail at a Ren Faire and its not something I would feel comfortable using. The chain is too long in comparison with the haft and the spikes are also overly long. In most flails the length of the chain should be at most about half the length of the handle so you have a safe hand grip. you dont want the head hitting you if you miss your enemy.

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #8 - Sep 16th, 2004 at 3:19pm

oh yes that would suck haha.

where do you live i have wanted to go to a ren fair but there are none near me.

randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

S_ALLEN
Descens

N.Y.
Reply #9 - Sep 16th, 2004 at 11:32pm

NE Florida, most of the faires here are small and quite a drive understand there are a couple big ones down in southern Florida but haven't ventured to find them, used to live in Minnesota had a great faire there.

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #10 - Sep 18th, 2004 at 8:44am

cool hows the hurracanes?

randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

S_ALLEN
Descens

N.Y.
Reply #11 - Sep 18th, 2004 at 9:38pm

Been luck so far just chatching the edges.

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #12 - Sep 19th, 2004 at 8:07am

thats good to hear. up here in ohio is almost under water haha. I had to suck up all the water in my base ment 4 times so far.

the town close to us on the ohio river is almost under whater. yep got to change salems name to atlantise.

the flooding up here has sweap away a few homes but it must be bad in florda. verry bad.

I dont think that i would build any perament things in florda unless they where underground and hurracane proof.

randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar)