Send Topic Print
Physics and energy (Read 2411 times)
Ripcord
Tiro

Trebuchets, the "big boys"
sling!

Physics and energy
Aug 6th, 2003 at 1:43am

As this is a new forum, there are not a lot of postings.  I expect that will change soon though.  Of the few that are here, I wanted to offer an opinion or two (or 7 or 12).

Energy!  A stone is cast a certain distance by the energy given to it and the angle of the release.  The release angle is controlled (hopefully!) by the thrower. The energy is contributed by the thrower, but not all of it goes into the stone.

As one is whipping the sling around, there is energy stored in the stone AND the sling/pouch, in the form of kinetic energy (KE).  Once the stone is released, the sling/pouch still has energy.  We can't give it all to the stone, but we can reduce how much stays behind in the sling.

Very simply, the more mass that is in the sling/pouch, the more energy required to get it up to speed.  If we reduce the mass of the sling/pouch then for a given amount of energy put into the system, the more will stay with the stone.  Hence, more energy in the stone which turns into speed and distance.

So, staying consistant with the strength of the materials required, a lighter sling/pouch allows for longer casts.

Another energy draining effect is friction due to air drag.  After all, which is easier to throw with speed, a ball of paper or a sheet of the same paper still flat? (Perhaps a poor example, but I hope you get my meaning.)

Thick sling lines will have more air drag, so will pouches that are bigger than required.  Braided sling lines will be even worse, for a given cross section size.

Naturally, one needs to use materials that are strong enough for the task. So I wouldn't try casting with a sling made of a single piece of standard sewing thread...unless I was casting a small marble maybe. Smiley

IP Logged

archeorob
Descens

Know when to duck!

Wisconsin
Re: Physics and energy
Reply #1 - Aug 6th, 2003 at 9:06am

Shocked woah! Physics...

Though I have to agree, not just because it's science in action, but it becomes quite visible with various tests.  When using a thicker line, I have had problems bringing up the speed of my casts to what I can do with a sling having smaller diameter lines.

Archeorob rob+Fullmer  
IP Logged

Stephen
Novicius

Reckless experimentation
for a better Tomorrow.

Reply #2 - Aug 6th, 2003 at 2:07pm

I too have noticed that relation. My chainmaill sling, besides nearly killing me, only had half the distance thrown.
  So the weight of my pouch was retaining the energy instead of delivering speed to the ball.
It makes sense. I'm sure there is a lot of math that could be used to prove the same thing.

Stephen

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #3 - Aug 6th, 2003 at 2:53pm

Those are several excellent points ripcord.

My generic slings are fairly thin (but sufficiently tough).  I use paracute cord, which is light and strong.  These always produce good results with marble to golfball sized rocks.  I can get about 300 feet range with a 2-3 foot sling. 

I'm starting to wonder if a super sling comprised of very light, high-strength materials could be attempted by myself or another interested person on this forum.  You could pick up some nylon cord or something similar cheap.  If it's too thin, you could always braid it.  You'd have to make better ends so it didn't hurt your hand if you wanted to use something like fishing line.  Any fishers here?  What is the strength of those cords?

As for a pouch, you could probably find some "super fiber" fabric at a hardware store used in some random product.  Any ideas?

You might be able estimate the potential gain in energy by finding the wieght of the stone and the sling (perhaps only the lower 1/3 to account for the centripital acceleration mainly affecting the pouch and lower region of the cords) and see what the ratio is.  Then you could estimate the new sling's weight and see how much the ratio jumps.  That would give you an idea of how much additional energy the stone will gain. 

Off the top of my head, I would think that even cutting the wieght in half wouldn't have a significant effect.  However, the reduced air friction from thin cords in addition to any benefit from the reduced weight could be noticable.

Thoughts?
Chris

IP Logged

BillB
Tiro

If it's outdoors....

USA
Reply #4 - Aug 6th, 2003 at 4:02pm

BTW, you can see the energy transferred to the sling easily enough: the sling doesn't stop immediately when you release the missle, it continues to fly past the release point. That's the energy stored in the sling being dissipated.

Following through with Ripcord's presentation, it stands to reason that changing from parachute cord or leather bootlaces to fishing line would transfer more of the energy to the stone.

I'm thinking, though, that it wouldn't necessarily translate into greater distance or greater velocity. I'm no physicist, but it seems to me that suchimprovement would only come when changing from a significantly larger sling to a much smaller one (diameters, pouch size, etc., with no change in sling length,  missle weight/size, etc.).

I'm going from experience here, so it might be that Ripcord can jump in with the physics, but...

in changing from parachute cord or leather thongs to Spyderwire (more about this and other fishing line at the bottom) two things at least happen. One is that we lose friction, enabling more energy transferrance to the missle, but we lose mass in the line as well which means that we also lose some control and in order to keep the missle from overrunning the lines we may have to slow down the sling.

Picture this: You take a regular sling made of parachute line, replace the lines with the same lengths of Spyderwire. (Ignore the pain in your fingers for now.  Cheesy) Because the line is lighter, if you swing it too fast the missle will lag even more and move in on you as you make the preliminary circles. It doesn't have enough mass to keep the stone out like it used to. Also, when you release, if you attempt to surge forward in speed at the last minute (a bad thing with any sling anyway), the released line, being lighter, may not be able to get out of the way as cleanly.

I think Archeorob experienced this in another forum when he mentioned going from his braided sling back to his regular sling, the regular sling seemed flimsy and he had less control. I believe this is because he was able to put more force into the braided slring than he was able to put into the lighter sling: the bigger braided sling had enough mass to store the added energy.

I think it's a worthy experiment, though, if only to see how much improvement there is for how much change. But in order to be valid, consistency is vital, so you'd have to come up with some way to ensure as many variables as possible stay constant: line length, pouch size (unless you're experimenting only with pouch sizes of course), force used to swing the sling, missle size, release, etc.. Change only one thing at a time and test that until you're satisfied. Then move on to another variable.

Fishing line, of which Spyderwire is a particular type and brand name) comes in various thicknesses based on breaking strength. I know of mono fishing line that goes up to at least 24 pounds, and feel there is plenty of line that could be suitable for slings. However, it also has "memory" that can add time to your setup and difficulty in keeping it untangled.

Spyderwire goes to much much higher breaking strength and is very thin for the strength to diameter compared to mono. It's also slippery which makes it difficult to tie knots, you have to be careful to get them right.

Finger cots would take care of the pain. Wink I'm not too sure just how to reinforce the pouch connection. Eyelets, perhaps? Multiple wrappings around the pouch leather before tieing off?

Bill B.

P.S. Sorry about the length! Didn't realize it was that long until I previewed it.

Bill B.

IP Logged

Ripcord
Tiro

sling!

Reply #5 - Aug 6th, 2003 at 7:37pm

I think the key point you made Bill dealt with experience.
If an "improved" sling is not controllable, what's the point?  But if "somebody" can still maintain control then they, at least, are ahead of the game.

Also consider the sling that is too long, when using "conventional" materials.  If the new materials don't allow control for a standard sling length, they may be just the ticket for a longer one.

Spyder line is something I've only heard of and my naps...er, fishing days along the river banks are long gone.  A favorite fishing line back then was braided nylong, usually black.  It came in a variety of tensile strengths, some plenty strong enough for slings.  I've had cause to look for it again over the last couple of years, but none of the local sporting outlets carry anything like it anymore.  Oh well.

I happen to have a fair amount of another nylong string. It's 3-twist and a pain to handle, but is pretty strong.  I may try that sometime.

Pouches:  It just so happens that recently a gentleman offered a pretty neat method for constrcting net pouches.  Although intended for trebuchets, it is still a sling and pouch and designed for spherical objects.  Let's see if I can get the URL correctly posted here:

[url]http://boander.home.att.net/Sling.html[/url]

Well, not what I had in mind but it works.  Also check the little yellow diagram found at that page. It will lead you to pictures and such of his design and pouches.

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #6 - Aug 6th, 2003 at 8:25pm

Like the icon ripcord.

Speaking of trebuchets, you could put together a fishing line sling pretty quick.  Forget about making it comfortable for human hands.  Attach it to your tennis ball terbuchet design (certainly you must have one laying around Mr. Designer?!) and see how it operates. 

Thanks for the netted pouch link, it's pretty neat.  I'll add it to the links section soon. 

Chris

IP Logged

Ripcord
Tiro

sling!

Reply #7 - Aug 7th, 2003 at 6:16pm

In fact, I have only the original TBT siege engine, along with several other types as well.

I also have several fishing line slings for them. One of the best materials I've used though is "mason's line", also called "surveyors line".

It is usually yellow, although it comes in other colors as well.  Made of braided nylon and roughly 1 mm thick.  Very cheap at the hardware store and can be found almost anywhere.

Mmm...gives me a thought for another topic.

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #8 - Sep 5th, 2004 at 3:11am

my spider wire sling granted a little over kill in strength
6 stands of 50# spider wire
but this thing whips thought the air and at 40 inches long is my longest range sling
Image Rescue Project: Image now hosted at Slinging.org.
« Last Edit: May 20th, 2007 at 1:40pm by Dale »  
Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Reply #9 - Sep 5th, 2004 at 7:29pm

I have made slings of very thin 40lb test icefishing line, but they were awful performers.

How about using the trebuchet to do controlled tests of various sling materials and designs??

Just speculation, but I suspect there may be some benefit from using cords with just a small, but right amount of stiffness and torsional rigidity.    This benefit might not show up in trebuchet tests, but might be apparent in hand-slinging.

It would be VERY interesting.  A sling with two 36" lengths of 1/8"diameter line presents 9 square inches of frontal area, to be acted upon by air resistance.  That's a LOT!!

mgreenfield

IP Logged

solobo

Reno, NV, USA
Reply #10 - Sep 5th, 2004 at 8:21pm

I just finished making a "super sling" out of a modern bowstring.  I'm not sure what the fibre is called, but when bowstrings are made, a single piece is wrapped 16 times around a device and made into a loop (say 30" long) and then another fiber is wrapped around to make it into one piece.  I dismantled one of these and divided it into six pieces 17-18 ft long and made a braided sling, puting a small, aerodynamic leather pouch in the center.  The individual strands are supposed to be able to take 80 lb. pressure, and the sling was braided of six (overkill, I know).  The thing is, the braid is very pliable and comfortable, and the finished sling (about 40 inches, folded) seems to throw quite well.  I haven't had a chance to really test the distance, yet, but I'll let you know when I do.

solobo88  
IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #11 - Sep 7th, 2004 at 11:49am

I found the following post on a physics site and had to post it here
MadSci Network: Physics

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: how works a sling of dave?
Date: Wed Nov 1 19:42:22 2000
Posted By: Benjamin Monreal, Grad student, Physics, MIT
Area of science: Physics
ID: 972417100.Ph
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bonjour Dirk,

In the Biblical story of David & Goliath, David uses a sling to throw a small pebble hard enough to kill Goliath. Now, I've never killed a giant, but when I was younger I used a sling to throw rocks 100 meters across my back yard.

It is not a complicated device at all; the idea is to throw something by swinging it around really fast and letting go. But there's some physics behind that which of course I will talk about first. Smiley

You can think of a sling as a way of storing energy from your muscles. To throw something really fast, you want to put as much energy into it as possible. But your arm, while it's perfectly happy lifting twenty kilograms fairly slowly, can only deliver small amounts of power during the half-second exertion of throwing a baseball. You'd get that ball going faster if, somehow, you could put energy into it slowly - the way your muscles work best - and have the energy converted into forwards motion all at once.

There are lots of ways to store up energy like this; a bow and arrow is an example. You draw the bow very slowly, storing energy in the springy bending of the bow, and all of that energy is released quickly into the arrow. A crossbow allows you to store up even more energy, if you use a crank to draw it. Imagine if you build a super-stiff crossbow, you might spend half an hour cranking it back, but that half-hour's worth of effort all goes into the arrow at once. A golf club is another approach; when accelerating a golf club, you have a long, long stroke - much longer than the "stroke" of throwing a baseball - during which to accelerate the club head, so it's going very fast when it hits the ball. Meanwhile, your arm and shoulder muscles didn't have to move very fast at all.

Anyway, a sling is a simple way of putting lots of energy into a rock and then letting it go all at once. You basically use your arm to accelerate the rock, but keep it on a string so it stays near you, going in a circle - so you can accelerate it again and again, speeding it up, and then releasing it when you've gotten it going very fast.

Here's very simple design!

cloth cloth cloth cloth
string string string strinloth cloth cloth cloth string string string strin
                         oth cloth cloth cloth c                  (tie a
                         th cloth cloth cloth cl                  loop in
                                                                  one end)
Use about 75 cm of string on each end, and maybe 25x8 cm of cloth in the middle. One string's end gets tied onto your finger, the other is held in your hand. When holding the two strings, the cloth hangs below and makes a little basket. Put your rock securely in the basket. Now, go to a WIDE OPEN SPACE, swing the rock-in-basket around above your head until you get it going really fast, and let go of the free string! The basket opens up, the rock flies out and sails away!
Yes, it's really that simple. And yes, a rock thrown like this can seriously injure someone. The only thing limiting the speed of the rock, now, is air resistance. When you're spinning it really fast, the amount of energy you put in with your arm is about equal to the amount taken out by drag forces - you'll be able to feel this. It'll feel like the rock just can't go any faster. That's all I'll say about physics, and I'll end with a safety notice (I work with NASA; we make a big deal of safety).

WARNING - not only is the rock going very very fast, but it's also terribly hard to aim, until you've practiced a lot. I mean, REALLY REALLY hard to aim; be prepared to deal with the consequences if the rock goes completely behind you, or sideways, instead of forwards. Not only is it hard to decide when to let go of the string, but also sometimes the rock will fall out of the basket on its own. So start with small projectiles (small pebbles, crabapples) and stay far away from people, and windows, and Goliaths!

Have fun, and be careful!

-Ben Monreal

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Reply #12 - Sep 7th, 2004 at 3:20pm

Oh, boy.  Ben Monreal has missed completely the mechanics by which successful slinging is done.   Maybe lobohunter or somebody can go back to the site where the posting appears, and very gently "suggest correct alternatives" to the method he describes.    mgreenfield

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, vetryan15, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, Kick, Chris, joe_meadmaker)