Tennis ball bola (Read 1303 times)
Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Tennis ball bola
Nov 22nd, 2020 at 7:44am

https://www.bitchute.com/video/GG48uxAWk9V0/
Sorry for the camera angle.

Mind you that I was out of practice when recording this and it can curl around its target as tight as a stone bola.

I didn't have access to measuring tape when making it and wasn't sure how long to make it hence why the cords are extended and there is a knot before the end. You can use the container that the tennis balls were sold in for easy transportation.

« Last Edit: Nov 22nd, 2020 at 2:06pm by Slyngorm »  

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Re: Tennis ball bola
Reply #1 - Nov 22nd, 2020 at 9:22am

Awesome! I've only made dangerous boleadoras with huge hex nuts and metal washers Cheesy

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #2 - Nov 22nd, 2020 at 11:40am

Very cool my man. So these are pretty safe I would assume when compared to  typical bolas? I would’ve loved to have these when I was younger. I imagine my friends and I would’ve been throwing them at each other all the time.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #3 - Nov 22nd, 2020 at 1:52pm

Well you say safe but having your legs tied up whilst running doesn't sound entirely safe Cheesy I think I've told this story before, but I once threw one of my VERY unsafe bolas at a friend who was running. I threw very gently and only because he was the one that suggested it. Smacked him in the shin and he went down like a sack of potatoes. That's when I really started understanding they are actually weapons Cheesy

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #4 - Nov 22nd, 2020 at 2:53pm

@Slyngorm - Nice!  That's a really good idea.

IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Reply #5 - Nov 22nd, 2020 at 3:36pm

@
Kick
Well, that is exactly what you should use these for though.  Wink

@
joe_meadmaker
Can't take all the honour. I got the idea when I read about someone using such thing on their friends and then searched for and found this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifm5dWnilcs&list=PLRVUTcvx7LpF0jeA8jxeIJ_HGP4AHb...

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #6 - Nov 23rd, 2020 at 3:42am

Slyngorm wrote on Nov 22nd, 2020 at 3:36pm:
@ Kick
Well, that is exactly what you should use these for though. 

Well exactly but I think the same thing happens with the bolas as happens with the sling. People think it's just a toy and not actually all that dangerous. People understand the fact it wraps up the legs of a running animal but they don't think about the fact that the original stones or ones with hex nuts can leave, at the very least, nasty bruises. Using mine against wooden planks, I've cut hex-nut-shaped gashes into the wood. I would hate to be hit by one full power.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #7 - Nov 23rd, 2020 at 3:52am

Found a picture. Ouch.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #8 - Nov 23rd, 2020 at 8:06am

Kick wrote on Nov 22nd, 2020 at 1:52pm:
Well you say safe but having your legs tied up whilst running doesn't sound entirely safe Cheesy I think I've told this story before, but I once threw one of my VERY unsafe bolas at a friend who was running. I threw very gently and only because he was the one that suggested it. Smacked him in the shin and he went down like a sack of potatoes. That's when I really started understanding they are actually weapons Cheesy

That's a very guy thing to do. "Hold my beer bro, I'm about to run and you're going to throw your weapon at me. I have a really good feeling about this."

Grin Grin

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #9 - Nov 23rd, 2020 at 8:26am

If only we had alcohol as an excuse to fall back on...

IP Logged

ghost0311-8541

Slinging Rocks!

Florida
Reply #10 - Dec 14th, 2020 at 10:39pm

Add some caulk to them for a little weight .

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #11 - Dec 15th, 2020 at 4:21pm

ghost0311-8541 wrote on Dec 14th, 2020 at 10:39pm:
Add some caulk to them for a little weight .

Good call!  I've done this with street hockey balls.  Drilled a hole and put silicone in them to add weight.

IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Reply #12 - Dec 17th, 2020 at 8:02am

That would defeat its purpose though.
I'm telling you, it works like wonders but on the day of filming I was out of practice and nervous over having a cameraman who didn't really want to spend too much time filming.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar, Rat Man, Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner)