Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Assasin's slinging style? (Read 2040 times)
Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Assasin's slinging style?
Nov 17th, 2020 at 8:45am

Imagine this.

You are a young man, barely having outgrown boyhood yet, in a society were the authority is still decided by chiefdoms and powerful families.
A conflict between opposing parties has erupted. As a fit man of age you are drawn into this as well. As the son of a middle ranking chief you have plenty of time for hunting with your sling, skilled enough to take the life of a small dear with a well placed river smooth rock.
Being skilled with your sling you have been given the task of assassinating another young man from the other end of the chiefdom who's party has been seen roaming the nearby forest.
Scurrying through the undergrowth you spot him and his companions having set up camp for the evening. You sneak closer, crouching behinds bushes, sneaking under fallen logs and hiding behind trees. You already carry a rock in your sling pouch because his guards are everywhere and you are unsure when you will need to sling a rock at short notice.
Finally you are in an acceptable distance of your target. Squatting behind a bush you peak up to catch a quick look at him before jumping up and hurling your rock at him.

But how?

If you are in such a situation where you have to crawl under obstacles and hide behind objects without knowing when you suddenly have to emerge from your hiding place and throw, meaning you have to carry the sling with a loaded piece of ammunition, what is the best slinging style to go by?

Both so that you can jump and crawl around with the sling and the sling having been fitted with a rock without any chance of it falling out.

« Last Edit: Nov 17th, 2020 at 2:00pm by Slyngorm »  

IP Logged

a

a

a
Re: Assasin's slinging style
Reply #1 - Nov 17th, 2020 at 8:55am

Wait until they're all asleep then strangle him with your sling then sneak away without disturbing anyone.

IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Reply #2 - Nov 17th, 2020 at 9:00am

Not a bad call.
And definitely a viable out-of-the-box creative option.
« Last Edit: Nov 17th, 2020 at 10:20am by Slyngorm »  

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #3 - Nov 17th, 2020 at 9:28am

Turkey style obviously  Grin

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Re: Assasin's slinging style?
Reply #4 - Nov 17th, 2020 at 2:25pm

For me personally, I would use a couple rotations of the sling somewhere between over my head and at my side (whatever the surroundings allowed), and then a sidearm release.  This would be my choice because it's the style I use regularly and am most comfortable with.  I'm not one to practice many different styles, so that would definitely limit my options.

A question on the proposed the situation.  You describe needing to crawl and move around without dropping the projectile in the sling.  Do you picture the slinger holding the pouch and projectile in his or her free hand?  If not, the sling would need a pouch that holds the projectile very well.  There have been discussions in the past that cupped pouches may not release a projectile as cleanly as a flat or split pouch.  Which makes sense.  The more a pouch naturally holds on to a projectile, the more it will restrict the release of it.  So a sling that can hold a projectile while the slinger is moving around a lot, and one that can be used for pinpoint accuracy during an assassination, may not be the same thing.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #5 - Nov 17th, 2020 at 2:27pm

I would use a short staff sling. If you miss, you bonk him on the head. Repeat until job done Cheesy

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

a

a

a
Reply #6 - Nov 17th, 2020 at 3:10pm

You guys are forgetting the most important part, "How to get away from bodyguards whose lives are on the line if they don't catch you."

IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Reply #7 - Nov 17th, 2020 at 3:12pm

@joe_meadmaker
I pictured one holding the pouch in one hand and the cords in the other. In that way I imagine that you can move pretty comfortably around especially if the sling is longer with no chance of loosing your projectile. Then you could use a Greek overhand when needed. But that also depends on which technique is the fastest to use in this position.

@Mersa
It would be difficult to move around like that though
« Last Edit: Nov 17th, 2020 at 4:18pm by Slyngorm »  

IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Reply #8 - Nov 17th, 2020 at 3:18pm

@Kilisi it is no use being short sighted in such a situation (if you care for your life) but my intention with this thread was definitely the “jumping, crawling and sneaking around” part

IP Logged

a

a

a
Reply #9 - Nov 17th, 2020 at 3:34pm

Slyngorm wrote on Nov 17th, 2020 at 3:18pm:
@Kilisi it is no use being short sighted in such a situation (if you care for your life) but my intention with this thread was definitely the “jumping, crawling and sneaking around” part

Ok, then the way I hunt would work. I hold the stone loaded while I move through obstacles. Pouch and stone gripped against my palm by my last three fingers. Then just my normal throw when the time comes. Takes negligible time to put the pouch and stone down and just encumbers one hand.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #10 - Nov 17th, 2020 at 5:43pm

Yeah realistically I would just hold the sling in my hand until needed , and probably figure 8 with a drop. I’d be more worried about the space for the throw than how it’s held

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #11 - Nov 17th, 2020 at 6:00pm

[i]If you are in such a situation where you have to crawl under obstacles and hide behind objects without knowing when you suddenly have to emerge from your hiding place and throw, meaning you have to carry the sling with a loaded piece of ammunition, what is the best slinging style to go by?[/i]

I used to do exactly that minus the killing people part while sling hunting and roving in Cali using the figure 8.. Lots of branches and trees. Crawling, ducking, taking shots in between trees.

Walk around with the stone in the pouch holding in your off hand. As soon as you see a target you can instantly go into the throw. Very nice for scared wabbits and other nervous woodland creatures.

Also another reason I'm not fond of throws with rotors. They are good for some situations but bad for most when it comes to actual nervous, jumpy animals. Just not realistic.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #12 - Nov 17th, 2020 at 6:10pm

Mersa wrote on Nov 17th, 2020 at 9:28am:
Turkey style obviously  Grin

I second turkey style.
Also... use razor glandes.  Aim for the eyes!

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #13 - Nov 17th, 2020 at 8:28pm

Obviously, always aim for the eyes

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #14 - Nov 17th, 2020 at 8:28pm

Then use Star Wars style.  The Force will be with you as you shoot antimatter glandes with your laser sling.  But don't forget Harry Potter's cloak.  Or maybe the ring of power will help them.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Curious Aardvark, Kick, Rat Man, Chris, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15)