Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7
Send Topic Print
Trash Sling Challenge 2020 (Read 13122 times)
NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Trash Sling Challenge 2020
Nov 14th, 2020 at 10:08pm

It’s that time again!  As everyone gets ready for SITH, there’s no better way to sharpen your sling-making skills than to build a sling out of trash and maybe even win some prizes!

Here’s the rules:
1. The sling must be made of at least two materials, and at least one of the materials should be garbage.
2. Post a video on YouTube showing you successfully making 5 consecutive throws using ammunition that weighs more than 50g... preferably a tennis ball, but rocks are ok if you don’t have any tennis balls on hand.  Indoor videos are ok too, but we need to see some real throws to make sure your sling holds up.
3. You may make multiple entries. No repeats from last year though. Try something new!

That’s it! Be creative.   Bonus points for entertaining videos that tell a story. Videos must be posted by April 1, 2021. The prize is a Grim Workshop fishing card and cordage tool (photo below) . Joe Meadmaker is also putting up some mead!

Have fun!

Updates:
------------------------
Here are the entries in order of submissions:

Kick: https://youtu.be/14Ac4gUOOns

joe_meadmaker: https://youtu.be/dXSQnTlheCg

Nooc: https://youtu.be/NZk64NVig20

Morphy: https://youtu.be/49y4vprYmNg

Mersa: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MtIINzsIS8A

Peashooter: https://youtu.be/vjuWU82RGkI

Prize photo:

« Last Edit: Mar 31st, 2021 at 9:14pm by NooneOfConsequence »  

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Re: Trash Sling Challenge 2020
Reply #1 - Nov 15th, 2020 at 6:11am

Awesome! My one last year was a bit of cheat I feel so I'll have to see what I can do this time.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #2 - Nov 15th, 2020 at 11:12am

Nice!  I was wondering if you were going to post this challenge again.  I thought of doing it myself.

As the reigning champion of the Trash Sling Challenge, I'll donate a prize for the winner of this year's challenge.  Just a hint.  It will come in a bottle.  Wink

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #3 - Nov 15th, 2020 at 1:30pm

Now I'm very interested.

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #4 - Nov 15th, 2020 at 11:28pm

Ooh!  I might have to actually compete this year and give up my role as dictatorial judge!

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #5 - Nov 16th, 2020 at 4:53pm

I'd like to see that entry!  Even if it means this challenge will turn into a poll like the pumpkin challenge, or some other method of voting.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #6 - Nov 16th, 2020 at 6:07pm

I’ll get involved in this for sure, but I really want to push myself this time .

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #7 - Nov 17th, 2020 at 12:38pm

Joe, how much cash can fit in a bottle? I'm not picky any amount over a hundred will do!

Ok I'm tentatively in on this one. The SITH one is going to be a beast but this will give me something fun to mess with. Let's kick some trash.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #8 - Nov 17th, 2020 at 2:30pm

Morphy wrote on Nov 17th, 2020 at 12:38pm:
Joe, how much cash can fit in a bottle? I'm not picky any amount over a hundred will do!

I will consider.  But you'll have to post the most amazingly super awesome video that has ever been posted on slinging.org before.  Cheesy

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #9 - Nov 17th, 2020 at 4:08pm

joe_meadmaker wrote on Nov 17th, 2020 at 2:30pm:
Morphy wrote on Nov 17th, 2020 at 12:38pm:

I will consider.  But you'll have to post the most amazingly super awesome video that has ever been posted on slinging.org before.  Cheesy

I'll see myself out...  Grin

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #10 - Nov 17th, 2020 at 6:47pm

It’s really not that hard to make a decent video. All you need to do is tell some sort of story (as opposed to being overly focused on technical nuances of slinging), make copious use of jump cuts (removing excessive repetition and unnecessary motions that can be assumed like reloading ... this goes along with not being too technical) in your editor of choice, and grab some free music from filmmusic.io

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #11 - Nov 17th, 2020 at 10:47pm

All music is free if you know where to get it my good man. The viruses that come with it are just a bonus.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #12 - Nov 17th, 2020 at 11:57pm

Ha! I mean royalty free. It costs nothing but a line in the credits for attribution, and it’s 100% sanctioned for use in your video. I had a specific song I wanted to use in a video announcing the birth of my son several years ago, and to keep it all above-board, it cost me $200 for a non-commercial license to use the song one time! I can usually find something that fits the mood of my videos on filmmusic.io these days.

IP Logged

StoneHuevos
Tiro

Bet I can sling a rock
over them mountains!

Reply #13 - Nov 24th, 2020 at 9:40pm

I was just told about this after posting pics of a trash sling. can't wait to make something upcycled!

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #14 - Nov 25th, 2020 at 2:43am

I got mine finished yesterday. I'll be taking it out later this week Cheesy

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: LightSlinger, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, Rat Man, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus)