Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
USA sling hunting style? (Read 2525 times)
a

a

a
USA sling hunting style?
Nov 11th, 2020 at 4:11am

Watched this video and the chap reckons you can hunt some food like this and lots of positive comments. What is this throwing style called? I assume he's throwing low power, because I could throw harder with my arm I reckon. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EE_Va-OMkqU

IP Logged

TOMBELAINE
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

france
Re: USA sling hunting style?
Reply #1 - Nov 11th, 2020 at 5:38am

I think that he's a "youtube expert" because his throwing is too long to hunt.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #2 - Nov 11th, 2020 at 7:14am

I've sometimes seen that technique called "fig. 8" but that isn't what us on this forum mean when we say fig. 8. It's not a good style for hunting I would say though I have found it to be pretty good for accuracy. This is one of those videos where a "survivalist" needs content for his channel, finds out about slings and thinks "that looks easy", makes a video full of information he got skim reading some survivalist forum written by people that once saw a sling in a picture of David and Goliath, shows him using a sling for 10  mins or so and then sits back and waits for clicks. I don't like videos like this. Yeah, ok it might get someone interested and then they'll find some actually good information on the sling, but a lot of the time it just spreads misinformation and doesn't show the sling's full potential.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #3 - Nov 11th, 2020 at 7:55am

I've never understood that method of slinging.  I see why someone might call it a figure 8.  But that rotation back and forth on either side of the body doesn't do anything except make it impossible to use your full arm and shoulder for the throw.

a wrote on Nov 11th, 2020 at 4:11am:
I could throw harder with my arm I reckon.

You definitely could.

IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Reply #4 - Nov 11th, 2020 at 1:54pm

In another of videos he says that they use this style in Israel

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #5 - Nov 11th, 2020 at 4:39pm

TOMBELAINE wrote on Nov 11th, 2020 at 5:38am:
I think that he's a "youtube expert" because his throwing is too long to hunt.

YouTube expert is a good term for that. The problem with these channels that cover such a wide range of topics is by default they can't spend all that much time training any one skill.

But that being said good on him for spreading awareness of the sling I don't have anything against the man personally but these channels are often more entertainment than information. In a real survival situation I would do almost anything with that paracord before I made a sling with it.

The sling should be named the "Starvation Buddy". It will keep you company while you waste away but the chances of anyone who's not put in many years using it to get game is pretty darn slim.

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6 - Nov 11th, 2020 at 5:34pm

Sorry das zu sagen. Das ist amerikanischer Blödsinn. Er würde verhungern.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

a

a

a
Reply #7 - Nov 11th, 2020 at 10:07pm

Morphy wrote on Nov 11th, 2020 at 4:39pm:
chances of anyone who's not put in many years using it

I agree, you can't just make a sling and then go hunting you need experience with three things.... how to hunt, and how to sling, and how to use a sling for hunting (slings are useful in hunting even without hitting the animal, much like useful in herding without hitting the animals I guess.)

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #8 - Nov 11th, 2020 at 10:32pm

Slyngorm wrote on Nov 11th, 2020 at 1:54pm:

In the world of “tacticool,” if they do something in Israel, then it’s more “tactical” than the way you do it. Swinging a sling like nunchucks? That’s dumb. But “Israeli figure-eight”... that’s tactical! Kicking people in the crotch? cheap shot.  Kicking people in the crotch and calling it Krav Maga? Totally tactical... because Israel.

I honestly don’t think Israelis actually do half the stuff people say comes from Israel. It’s just a cheap way for someone to claim that something is more legitimate for self defense... even if it isn’t.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #9 - Nov 11th, 2020 at 10:42pm

a wrote on Nov 11th, 2020 at 10:07pm:

I agree, you can't just make a sling and then go hunting you need experience with three things.... how to hunt, and how to sling, and how to use a sling for hunting (slings are useful in hunting even without hitting the animal, much like useful in herding without hitting the animals I guess.)

You’re forgetting the most important part of sling hunting... RAZOR GLANDES! Grin

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

a

a

a
Reply #10 - Nov 11th, 2020 at 10:50pm

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Nov 11th, 2020 at 10:32pm:
do half the stuff people say comes from Israel.

I just can't see Goliath getting killed by this shot

IP Logged

Shakli

City Slinger

Reply #11 - Nov 12th, 2020 at 1:15am

Slyngorm wrote on Nov 11th, 2020 at 1:54pm:

In the world of “tacticool,” if they do something in Israel, then it’s more “tactical” than the way you do it. Swinging a sling like nunchucks? That’s dumb. But “Israeli figure-eight”... that’s tactical! Kicking people in the crotch? cheap shot.  Kicking people in the crotch and calling it Krav Maga? Totally tactical... because Israel.

I honestly don’t think Israelis actually do half the stuff people say comes from Israel. It’s just a cheap way for someone to claim that something is more legitimate for self defense... even if it isn’t.

Ok did a deep dive into the sling in Israel....  Fact is it seems to have gotten lost in history!
It came back in the 1980's when Ethiopians escaping Africa immigrated on mass to Israel.  They bring with them the sling.  So at this point any one slinging in "Israel style" is actually Ethiopian style which is NOT what is in the video.

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #12 - Nov 12th, 2020 at 3:12am

Ethiopian style.  Simply delicious.  After all, being stupid also needs a name.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #13 - Nov 12th, 2020 at 3:17am

a wrote on Nov 11th, 2020 at 10:07pm:

Thank you and as you pointed out it isn't just the slinging that needs practice. So true.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #14 - Nov 12th, 2020 at 3:58am

This is very true. Also, are Isrealis known really for slinging anymore? Palestinians, yeah but they use super long slings and helicopter so...

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Chris, Morphy, Kick, Curious Aardvark)