Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Future archaelogy and how I got there... (Read 1011 times)
Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Future archaelogy and how I got there...
Oct 26th, 2020 at 6:08am

I'm up early today, scaffolding is coming down and there's only me around to feed hot coffee to the poor sods who have to do it.
It is currently cold and grey and pissing down with rain.
Very much like the conditions the poor sods had to put it up im.
Oh - we painted the house with a special waterproof paint/coating. Actually good fun.

My brain works strangely in the mornings, I think mainly to take it's mind off the fact that it is morning and why am I not still asleep ?

I watched one of the SNL election skits yesterday. With kate mackinnon as the interviewer. Very good.
She was also the best thing about the female ghostbusters film - which I watched a few days ago, as it was on and I quite like it and couldn't be bothered to watch anything else.

And I thought, kate mckinnon was brilliant in it, spotting the cast of the original series and their cameos was the next best thing about it.
And obviously melissa mcarthy is always watchable.

well she has to be, as she's currently the only fat women allowed in hollywood.
(see where I'm heading yet ?).

So I started thinking about how there is only ever one fat woman and one fat man allowed in hollywood films at any given time.

a few decades back it was john candy - you wanted a fat bloke in a film - you booked john candy.
Then it was some kid who either died or dieted and was never seen again, then jack black.
The guy from mall cop was in a few films.
But it's only ever one person at a time.
There were two fat people in the film evolution - but one lost a LOT of weight and played randy in 'my name is earl ' and the other was never heard from again.

But basically there are almost NO fat people in films.
As far as tv shows go - similiar situation, the fat guy from LOST is now in hawai 50.

So it occured to me that there are almost NO fat people in visual media at all.

Not in films, not on telly and not in youtube videos.

And as visual media will form the bulk of material for future archaelogists they are going to look at the visual media of our time and then look at the medical records and be totally and completely confused.

Why did all those thin, healthy good looking vegans suffer so much from diabetes, heart attacks and diseases brought on by unhealty life styles, smoking and excessive alcohol consumption.

To an archaelogist in 500 years time: It's going to be a complete and total conumdrum.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Re: Future archaelogy and how I got there...
Reply #1 - Oct 26th, 2020 at 12:16pm

Well not everyone looked like Michelangelo's David in the 1500s. A fair few of them had plague. But yeah it is kind of shocking how poorly represented a whole range of differing body types are in this day and age. I think there is much better representation in social media. There are quite a few accounts trying to fight to show real people which is cool.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #2 - Oct 26th, 2020 at 4:29pm

I personally don't mind TV and movie actors and actresses being mostly thin, in shape people.  Such mediums are  for escaping reality.  If I want to see someone who is fat all I have to do is look in the mirror.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #3 - Oct 27th, 2020 at 7:48am

Not moaning about - it was just an observation from the point of view of a chronologically distant sociologist/archaeologist (how many ways did I spell arkeeologist ? whistle)

So no scaffolders yesterday and 'issues' last night, so this morning - when they did turn up. I;m runing on 2 hours almost sleeping in 2 days.

My brain has simply shutdown.
Oh and I scared another surgery nurse yesterday.
They take one look at my initial blood pressure and go white.

It did drop 40 points by the time of the third check - but the first one is always a doozy !

So yeah, yesterday sucked.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

woodssj

That lake isn't going
to fill itself, y'know...

'Round & about, Here and there
Reply #4 - Nov 4th, 2020 at 11:25pm

Fun thing to toss in there:    They probably will also only have access to films on physical media that survives, for two reasons: 

One, servers might get purged or recycled or phased out, deleting everything we currently stream or save in the cloud.

Two, file formatting issues with backwards compatibility might make  for some significant problems in reading what they can salvage.  But, a DVD player is a relatively simple machine, and pin-outs for connecting them to projectors or screens might be possible, and so that's what they'll have to work with (conjectural speaking, of course).

So after a certain point, when films stop being released on physical media, they'll be really, really confused, and will have to treat us like we were prehistoric.

Confused archaeologists are the best archaeologists, and they're going to be very confused as these problems compound.

Confused Archaeologists are the best Archaeologists.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #5 - Nov 9th, 2020 at 9:52am

Most data centers use magnetic tape storage for long-term backups... tapes will last a long time in climate control, but the iron dust eventually falls off, so archaeologists will be very confused about all those little self-contained rolls of thin plastic strips. What’s more concerning to me is if we somehow preserved all the petty things people say on Twitter and Facebook.

What SHOULD be preserved?  Memes. Definitely memes. That should be our greatest contribution to future generations.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #6 - Nov 9th, 2020 at 12:37pm

Anti-tRump memes should be preserved forever.  Some of them are genius.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, Chris)