Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Send Topic Print
Grading ranged weapons survivalist' charts (Read 15652 times)
a

a

a
Re: Grading ranged weapons survivalist' charts
Reply #30 - Nov 20th, 2020 at 5:27pm

Slyngorm wrote on Nov 20th, 2020 at 10:44am:
I will add throwing knives to a sub category "Throwing sticks" under "No ammunition" together with air foil throwing sticks and non-air foil throwing sticks.

Then there's the teutonic throwing axes, ninja stars and a bunch of others. And the caltrops might be classed as a throwing weapon in some scenarios? None of them as outright nasty as those African weapons though.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #31 - Nov 21st, 2020 at 9:09pm

I'll disagree about those throwing knives.  They'll take a lot of skill to use.  Otherwise, you just miss.  The guy usually won't just stand there and let you throw pointy stuff at them, they move and dodge.   Grin

If it's a regular knife, you probably don't want to throw it if you can avoid it.  You have to be a set distance to get it to rotate the required number of times to hit point first.  And once you throw it, now you don't have a knife.   Cry

Look at some of Timpa's videos.  He can weaponize almost anything he puts his hands on.  They should give you some ideas. 

IP Logged

a

a

a
Reply #32 - Nov 22nd, 2020 at 4:01am

Bill Skinner wrote on Nov 21st, 2020 at 9:09pm:
They'll take a lot of skill to use.  Otherwise, you just miss.

No they're short range, not trying to snipe people. Assuming you know how to throw, there is no special skill beyond that. I've often been surprised that many people aren't actually proficient at throwing by hand, but it's a normal third world and primitive skill.

They threw them during a charge and carried 4 or 5 behind their shields. Any primitive weapon can be dodged. With European type throwing knives, you throw them, thats what they're for, and you have multiple. Same with throwing clubs, ninja stars, throwing axes and all the rest.

You don't use them for melee unless you have nothing else.

IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Reply #33 - Nov 22nd, 2020 at 1:00pm

Have throwing knifes of any sort ever been used in hunting?

IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Reply #34 - Dec 28th, 2020 at 5:18pm

Here are the first gradings. Sorry for the long wait. I will make more I promise.
I'm still working on the graphical aspects and you might find some spelling and logical errors somewhere in there. 

arquebus.PNG (169 KB | 55 )
arquebus.PNG
atlatl.PNG (128 KB | 61 )
atlatl.PNG
bola.PNG (161 KB | 54 )
bola.PNG
bow.PNG (242 KB | 49 )
bow.PNG
crossbow.PNG (230 KB | 49 )
crossbow.PNG
slingshot.PNG (106 KB | 58 )
slingshot.PNG
slynge_ny.PNG (165 KB | 52 )
slynge_ny.PNG
spear.PNG (360 KB | 45 )
spear.PNG
staff_sling.PNG (242 KB | 47 )
staff_sling.PNG

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #35 - Jan 2nd, 2021 at 11:06am

I now rate the bow as the king of all primitive ranged weapons/hunting tools. The accuracy you can achieve with a bow with only minimal training is astounding compared to the sling. Yes, it's not as easy to carry as a sling, but you can use it in much tighter quarters, and be a much more stealthy shot. Seeing those arrows shot from a bow you made yourself, fly through the woods and embed themselves into trees 30 meters further, right next to each other where you actually aimed, is a magical experience

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #36 - Jan 2nd, 2021 at 4:38pm

“Sling: Consists of a pouch capable of holding a blunt object...“

You are obviously forgetting about razor glandes Grin

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #37 - Jan 6th, 2021 at 7:14am

Slyngorm wrote on Nov 1st, 2020 at 2:17pm:
Ok, so manufacturing firearms and ammunition is definitely possible but still EXTREMELY cumbersome.

Not as difficult as it used to be...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_GJ8La_VXA

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Reply #38 - Jan 6th, 2021 at 10:35am

Ok, these are the last two charts for now. You have mentioned some other weapons but I don't know enough about them for it to make sense making a chart of, right now.

Weapons that I might rate sometime.
  • non-aerodynamic throwing stick
  • throwing knife
  • shotgun sling
  • speargun
  • pellet bow
  • other types of crossbow
  • airgun

AncientCraftwork wrote on Jan 2nd, 2021 at 11:06am:
I now rate the bow as the king of all primitive ranged weapons/hunting tools. The accuracy you can achieve with a bow with only minimal training is astounding compared to the sling. Yes, it's not as easy to carry as a sling, but you can use it in much tighter quarters, and be a much more stealthy shot. Seeing those arrows shot from a bow you made yourself, fly through the woods and embed themselves into trees 30 meters further, right next to each other where you actually aimed, is a magical experience

I am forced to agree with this....
Some months ago I realized that I had a small bow lying around that I bought at a flee market over decade prior. I picked it up and tried shooting some wooden grill spears. I clumsily put a spear to the string and drew it back and the second I let it go and it perfectly flew through the air and hit right on the target ahead of me that I barely had aimed at I realized just how superior it was to the sling in ease of use.

I still want to use the sling over a bow simply because of ammunition and ease of transport....

blowgun.PNG (397 KB | 44 )
blowgun.PNG

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #39 - Jan 6th, 2021 at 11:12am

IP Logged

TOMBELAINE
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

france
Reply #40 - Jan 6th, 2021 at 12:26pm

Throwing sticks are pretty, "real", especially on Youtube, I'm afraid that very, very few people can kill a rabbit with them.
Test a "no aerodynamic" stick. And see the difference.
Just my idea.

IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Reply #41 - Jan 6th, 2021 at 3:50pm

TOMBELAINE wrote on Jan 6th, 2021 at 12:26pm:
Throwing sticks are pretty, "real"

I don't know what you mean.

I did actually make a rating of a non-aerodynamic one but it was so lacklustre that I choose not to post it. Until now.

IP Logged

TOMBELAINE
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

france
Reply #42 - Jan 7th, 2021 at 2:50am

First, I appreciate the job you do.
The problem with throwing sticks that it's a totally missing weapon in our societies. If you are never launched a boomerang, you don't know how a throwing sticks works.
On your photo, you have shown some australian sticks which are difficult to adjust for a straight flight.
The less aerodynamic a stick is, and the easier it is to throw.
A link in french : Luc Bordes' thesis about the throwing sticks in the world. A passionate guy and a researcher.

http://revedeboomerang.free.fr/memoire-LucBordes.pdf

IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Reply #43 - Jan 7th, 2021 at 12:25pm

TOMBELAINE wrote on Jan 7th, 2021 at 2:50am:
First, I appreciate the job you do.

Thanks! I appreciate yours and everyone's input. I didn't mean to come off as rude.
I just didn't understand what you meant with your comment, or this one actually. Sorry.

IP Logged

TOMBELAINE
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

france
Reply #44 - Jan 7th, 2021 at 2:25pm

No problem for me ; my english isn't very good. So sorry.
For a survival guide, a very simple throwing stick is more convenient. It flies straight. And for hunting, 20 or 30 meters are enough.
One who knows how to make a boomerang in a forest can make a more difficult throwing stick. Just for fun.
If I'm not clear, say me. Because I do what I can with my english.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, Bill Skinner)