Send Topic Print
Pumpkin vs. Shield (Read 2868 times)
joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Pumpkin vs. Shield
Oct 18th, 2020 at 10:54pm

I've been wanting to do a follow up to the Ice vs. Shield video, but wasn't sure what to do.  On a recent trip to the grocery store they had a bunch of mini pumpkins, and the idea struck like lightning.  Definitely a more substantial projectile than an ice ball.  As you'll see. Smiley

« Last Edit: Oct 28th, 2020 at 12:39pm by Curious Aardvark »  

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Re: Pumpkin vs. Shield
Reply #1 - Oct 19th, 2020 at 5:03am

Really shows how a sling can be deadly even if it's a high arcing shot and all the power comes from just letting the projectile fall. A rock or glande falling that would hurt. A lot.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #2 - Oct 19th, 2020 at 8:06am

This should be added to the pumpkin challenge, it seems fitting and was enjoyable. I wish they had those pumpkins for sale here I can think of a few ways I could include them in a slinging challenge!! As always great stuff joe!!

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #3 - Oct 19th, 2020 at 11:16am

Thanks guys!

I knew the mini pumpkins would hit harder than an ice ball, but it was surprising how much harder.  Most of them weighed 2 to 2.5 times more than the ice balls I normally use.  But they also took a lot more impact to break.  I can't even imagine hundreds or thousands of projectiles flying in at once.  At minimum, completely distracting.  More likely, devastating.

I think a rock or glande in this weight range would be lethal for an unprotected head strike.  Even just with gravity as only the acting force.  I thought about doing this with rocks, but that would require some upgrades.  I would need to pad the back of a shield.  My little leather bracer wouldn't be enough.  (There's a part in the video when I mention getting hit on the hand.  Today there is a slight bruising on that spot and it's a bit tender.)  I think I would also want to get a helmet or some other kind of head protection.

@Mersa - At some point we should do some brainstorming on a fruit/vegetable challenge.  There could probably be some humorous ideas come out of that, even if we don't do them.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #4 - Oct 20th, 2020 at 11:03am

I would suggest full body protection for that. All well and good if your head is protected but that won't help with a shoulder hit...

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #5 - Oct 20th, 2020 at 2:49pm

True enough.

That would be an embarrassing hospital visit.  "You see doc, I was slinging a rock at myself and failed to get my shield up in time"  Grin

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #6 - Oct 20th, 2020 at 2:57pm

"You shot yourself with a slingshot?"
*Eye twitches*....
"It's... sling... not slingshot..."

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #7 - Oct 21st, 2020 at 7:54pm

It looks funny.  A little awkward too.  At Reenactor Fight we fired small water bombs.  These have broken through shields.  The fighters were very well armed.  Hitting the helmet almost always resulted in a brief knock-out.  Despite a chain shirt and thick gambeson, hits on the body left large bruises on the skin.  Often you could even recognize individual rings of the chain mesh.  The slingers were very feared after a short time.  At some point depth charges were banned.  😁

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #8 - Oct 22nd, 2020 at 10:54am

How were the water bombs made?

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #9 - Oct 22nd, 2020 at 6:35pm

Luftballons mit Wasser füllen. Die Ballons muß man tapen. Sonst platzen sie bereits beim Schuß. Normaler weise platzen sie beim Aufschlag. Für die Fustibal haben wir Ballons mit etwa 250g befüllt. Wir verteidigten eine Burg. Unsere größten Distanzen waren etwa 80bis 100 m. Für die normale sling war das füllgewicht 80 bis 100g. Es gab auch eine schwere artellerie. Ein kleines trebuchet und einen onaker sie verschossen 3 und 5 liter. Diese einschläge waren furchtbar. Es gab einen ritter der von einer normalen sling am helm getroffen wurde. Es gibt ein foto davon. Er ging sofort KO. Es wurde aber erst zwanzig minuten spater bemerkt.

Fill balloons with water.  You have to tape the balloons.  Otherwise they will burst with the shot.  They usually burst on serve.  For the Fustibal we filled balloons with about 250g.  We were defending a castle.  Our greatest distances were around 80 to 100 m.  For the normal sling the filling weight was 80 to 100g.  There was also a heavy artellery.  A small trebuchet and an onaker they shot 3 and 5 liters.  These impacts were terrible.  There was a knight who was hit on his helmet by a normal sling.  There is a photo of it.  He immediately went KO.  It wasn't noticed until twenty minutes later.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #10 - Oct 22nd, 2020 at 6:36pm

Smiley

7kTD1AYECCY.jpg (48 KB | 54 )
7kTD1AYECCY.jpg

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #11 - Oct 22nd, 2020 at 9:28pm

That looks like so much fun!  Cheesy

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #12 - Oct 23rd, 2020 at 7:59am

Really shows the power of the sling. If that was a rock that guy would be dead.

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #13 - Oct 23rd, 2020 at 8:56am

Only the armor saved him from worse.  I experienced some very dangerous situations with the sling.  Once a knight came to me with his squire.  He asked me if I could teach his tight.  So I showed him how to use a sling.  He was a good student.  He should only practice with tennis balls.  Unfortunately he didn't do it.  A few days later he was training alone behind the tent camp on a meadow.  He shot stones at a distance.  One of these stones flew backwards.  In the middle of the camp there was a riding area.  There his knight trained on a horse.  He was armed.  The stone hit this knight on the helmet.  Everyone clearly heard the impact.  The knight fell sideways from his horse.  He stayed there.  Nobody knew what had happened.  The knight wore a padded hood.  A chain hood over it.  And a helmet on it.  That saved his life.  His skull was fractured.  And a fracture in the upper jaw.  His recovery took almost six months.  The helmet had a clear blow.  You should never underestimate the effect of a sling.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #14 - Oct 23rd, 2020 at 9:02am

Woah... Terrifying.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, joe_meadmaker, Chris, Rat Man, Kick, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark)