Send Topic Print
The Boys (Read 1008 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
The Boys
Oct 9th, 2020 at 4:50pm

Prime has a really good series, especially for those who like super heroes.  It's called The Boys.  Imagine all of the super heroes America loves are corrupt and mercenary.  I won't say more than that but it is well worth a watch IMHO.  The season finale for season two is tonight I believe.  There will be a third season.  Watch it.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Re: The Boys
Reply #1 - Oct 12th, 2020 at 12:16pm

Yep. 

Our super hero's have all been noble.  Or, at least, attempt to be. Or do the right thing, because it's the right thing to do. 

These guys aren't.  They're petty and backstabbing, with all the flaws and none of the virtues of normal people.

After all, why have any virtues if you don't have to?

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #2 - Oct 12th, 2020 at 2:03pm

Explains the lasting appeal of the Greek gods Cheesy Petty and backstabbing is their bread and butter.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #3 - Oct 15th, 2020 at 8:54pm

Thanks for the recommendation. I've been enjoying it so far.

John R.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #4 - Oct 17th, 2020 at 4:32pm

Wasn't that exactly the premise of the animated movie Megamind?

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #5 - Oct 18th, 2020 at 1:17am

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Oct 17th, 2020 at 4:32pm:
Wasn't that exactly the premise of the animated movie Megamind?

Hehe. Kinda. I loved Megamind. But I like almost every animated film. It was definitely one of Will Ferrell's best performed characters.  I might go watch that tonight...

John R.

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6 - Oct 18th, 2020 at 5:48pm

Megamind is massively underrated.

If you like the thought experiment of "corrupt superheros" you should try the graphic novel "Kingdom Comes". They're actually pictures of oil paintings but it's a very good exploration of what if superheros aren't super. And the bigger questions of lawful good vs neutral good and where that leads.

Another series to try on Prime is "Victorian farm" it's a BBC living archeology type of thing. If you like older tech and experimental archeology it's worth watching.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Reply #7 - Oct 19th, 2020 at 3:05am

Its been years since I've read Kingdom Comes but I definitely remember it being worth a read simply due to the art. Extremely impressive!

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #8 - Oct 26th, 2020 at 5:50am

yeah the boys was exceptional.

I've always wondered why super heroes have to have wingy, whiny pathetic normal personas when out of costume.
And why none of them ever make any money.

The boys pretty much tells it like my cynical heart believes it should be.

It also has the best and most 'WTF !!!' opening scene of all time.

Series 3 will be interesting.

Oh and there is a LOT of swearing, s sex and ultra violence

NOT FOR CHILDREN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus, Chris, Curious Aardvark)