Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Slinging analysis from an overhead camera - slow motion video (Read 4070 times)
woodssj

That lake isn't going
to fill itself, y'know...

'Round & about, Here and there
Re: Slinging analysis from an overhead camera - slow motion video
Reply #30 - Oct 13th, 2020 at 2:06pm

This is good stuff! Eventually it should move to "Here be Maths" but I'm enjoying the debate it's getting here.

This data could be use pretty impressively for a thesis, if anybody's looking to publish in an Archaeology journal....

Confused Archaeologists are the best Archaeologists.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #31 - Oct 13th, 2020 at 3:13pm

Speaking of maths... I think for the sake of search engines we should change the privacy settings on that section so people can view it without logging in.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #32 - Oct 13th, 2020 at 6:14pm

Or we keep it to ourselves so the lurkers must join (as it twiddle my fingers to sinister music)

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #33 - Oct 14th, 2020 at 8:07am

Mersa wrote on Oct 13th, 2020 at 6:14pm:
Or we keep it to ourselves so the lurkers must join (as it twiddle my fingers to sinister music)

I’m pretty sure all seven people on the planet who would’ve joined slinging.org to participate in the maths section have probably already signed up. If we want a members-only section to encourage new members, it should be called “Here be free cash” Smiley

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

woodssj

That lake isn't going
to fill itself, y'know...

'Round & about, Here and there
Reply #34 - Oct 14th, 2020 at 6:17pm

But if we rename the Maths section to be about cash, people will be confused, despite the fact that money is basically just math that rules your life.

I would agree about the privacy setting though. I'll see what I can do.

Confused Archaeologists are the best Archaeologists.

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #35 - Dec 1st, 2020 at 4:56pm

wanderer wrote on Oct 7th, 2020 at 6:12am:
As far as the resolution to angle, I think there might be a change in sign going on towards the end, lost because of the arccos operation?

You were right. I don't know how I missed this. You are absolutely right on the switch of the hand motion to ball motion and the change is sign of the "lag angle". I had to go back to frame by frame to see it. I thought I was correct that it stayed above zero and always the same sign, but nope. You were right. It's obvious now that I see it.

John R.

IP Logged

dork
Funditor

I feel Smurfy when I'm
smurfing!!!! You too?

In Beautiful Wisconsin
Reply #36 - Dec 1st, 2020 at 7:37pm

I’m not concerned with the numbers but this was an excellent angle to view a sling throw. Nice job.

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #37 - Dec 6th, 2020 at 6:52pm

dork wrote on Dec 1st, 2020 at 7:37pm:
I’m not concerned with the numbers but this was an excellent angle to view a sling throw. Nice job.

Yes, I've been wanting to do it for years, but didn't really have the means. The real trick was to get a bluetooth remote for a phone camera, so I could trigger it on and off quickly. Having 240 fps was also kind of necessary, since 30 fps would just be too slow to get any meaningful data.

John R.

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #38 - Feb 13th, 2021 at 2:50am

Updated plot with the lag angles corrected for the change in sign.

Interestingly, the lag angle isn't 90 degrees upon release. This means that acceleration of the projectile is happening until the moment of release.

I want to redo this analysis with a throw that isn't done for speed, but when I'm trying for accuracy, to see if there are any major differences.

DataOnly.png (53 KB | 15 )
DataOnly.png

John R.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Curious Aardvark, Kick, vetryan15, Morphy, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker)