Send Topic Print
Hello slingers! (Read 1101 times)
paintman
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Barcelona, Catalonia
Hello slingers!
Oct 1st, 2020 at 11:10am

Hi I'm a beginner slinger and sling maker from Barcelona. I made a couple of simple quick 2 strand slings half a year ago but recently i bought some paracord and started making some serious ones and I'm pretty hooked. I'm impressed with the potential of this primitive weapon and looking forward to gain consistency and technique. I watched a lot of balearic slingers because i really like that cast tecnique and want to learn it, im under the impression that its one of the more powerful. Atm I'm using a kind of intuitive helicopter cast but stil learning. Here is a picture of my slings so far. The source material I used is:

-The Weavers of Eternity Paracord Tutorials for the white one, although the pouch is very rigid and flat and not very efective.
-CodeMaker: Single strand Paracord split pouch sling for the black one , with an adjustable string piece in the middle for adjusting the aperture similar to what Practical paracord does.
-And the leather one taking Môn Slinger's pattern which ended up a little small but i like the pouch a lot.

I need to learn more about braiding because i want to make a primitve rock sling with natural materials, and one questions i have is what thickness should I aim for in the sling cord. Also i found that if I only use 1 finger for the retention loop it ends up hurting me so I'll try puting 2 fingers (middle and ring) in the loop.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Re: Hello slingers!
Reply #1 - Oct 1st, 2020 at 1:05pm

Welcome from Finland! Some nice looking slings!

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #2 - Oct 1st, 2020 at 2:25pm

Welcome from Pennsylvania, USA!

It's difficult to answer the question of how thick sling cords should be.  A lot of factors come into play.  The style you're using, what kind of projectiles you're throwing, and also just what you prefer.  I think the advice you'll get from a lot of folks here is to try out some different levels of thickness and see what you like.  Which would be my recommendation as well.

And your description of using a loop that goes around your ring and middle finger is exactly what I do.  The first sling I ever made had a loop that was too big, so I put two fingers through it.  Now I have trouble using any other method.

IP Logged

Greenjay
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3 - Oct 2nd, 2020 at 12:33am

Howdy from North texas.

IP Logged

TOMBELAINE
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

france
Reply #4 - Oct 2nd, 2020 at 7:10am

Welcome Vrod.
Good sling  Smiley
For me, I don't use a finger loop and it's ok.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #5 - Oct 2nd, 2020 at 7:28am

Greetings from oz

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #6 - Oct 2nd, 2020 at 10:06am

Welcome from northern maine

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #7 - Oct 2nd, 2020 at 12:25pm

Howdy from South Texas.
Nice looking slings!

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #8 - Oct 3rd, 2020 at 12:05am

Welcome from New Jersey, paintman;
    Nice slings.  One of my favorite materials for weaving is jute.  It has very little memory so it's easy to work with, it makes a great looking sling, it holds up reasonably  well for a natural fiber, and it's as cheap as dirt.  Hemp  is good too for the same reasons.  I've made some nice slings from cotton also. 
    I've always used my ring finger in the retention loop.  Everyone is different.  What ever works for you is the proper way.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, Chris, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini)