Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Speed measurements
Sep 28th, 2020 at 11:32pm

Move this post if needed to "Here be Maths."

https://youtu.be/LHXB931PNcE

My best is 106mph with a 160g projectile. I doubt I can do much more. Maybe 1 or 2 mph faster with this sling, as my best yesterday was 104, today 106.

John R.

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Re: Speed measurements
Reply #1 - Sep 29th, 2020 at 5:24am

I think we have similar output and you might be better. 106mph 160g would be 180m-200m,  it puts into perspective those early records, 200g 350m.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #2 - Sep 29th, 2020 at 9:58am

Despite your taunting in the credits, I had to watch until the end. Smiley

Do you think you could get a higher speed with a rock (or something else with a solid shape) that weighs 160g?  I'm curious if the un-solid nature of a rusty ball causes a less efficient transfer of energy.

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #3 - Sep 29th, 2020 at 10:10am

Sarosh wrote on Sep 29th, 2020 at 5:24am:
I think we have similar output and you might be better. 106mph 160g would be 180m-200m,  it puts into perspective those early records, 200g 350m.

Yeah, I totally agree with the last bit, but I think you have me beat on speed, esp. with tennis balls. But yes, Melvin Gaylor or Larry bray's records...How? They must have tendons like steel cable.

joe_meadmaker wrote on Sep 29th, 2020 at 9:58am:
Despite your taunting in the credits, I had to watch until the end. Smiley

Do you think you could get a higher speed with a rock (or something else with a solid shape) that weighs 160g?  I'm curious if the un-solid nature of a rusty ball causes a less efficient transfer of energy.

Hehe. I thought about leaving some reloading footage in, to make it go longer, but I like the way I did it in the end.

I wonder about that too. From Sarosh's videos on speed measurement, He did see differences between a tennis ball and a similarly weighted stone. So, yeah, there may be a small amount lost during acceleration due to extra drag from more cross-sectional area. I was using my usual target sling, but I want to try the same with a less "drag-y" sling as well.
« Last Edit: Oct 11th, 2020 at 10:40pm by IronGoober »  

John R.

IP Logged

Shakli

City Slinger

Reply #4 - Oct 11th, 2020 at 3:33am

Ok so I watched you over and over at 0.25 speed.  Take my input here with a grain of salt as I have yet to do this my self but here goes: 
The good:  You are using your hip and shoulder well to get your power, which is why you are able to throw so fast.
The bad:  You are not using your back at all. The truck of your body is moving as one block instead of spiraling though your back.  I am guessing that if the order of the throw is hip, stomach, scapula, shoulder, elbow, wrist,  you will get the max amount of power from your body.

Again take this with a grain of salt, since I cant actually do what I am talking about.  I will be working on it though.  Will let you know in 2-3 months if I succeed and if my assumption is correct. 

Edit:  Thank you so much for this clip it really helps figure out technique.

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #5 - Oct 11th, 2020 at 10:44pm

Shakli wrote on Oct 11th, 2020 at 3:33am:
Ok so I watched you over and over at 0.25 speed.  Take my input here with a grain of salt as I have yet to do this my self but here goes: 
The good:  You are using your hip and shoulder well to get your power, which is why you are able to throw so fast.
The bad:  You are not using your back at all. The truck of your body is moving as one block instead of spiraling though your back.  I am guessing that if the order of the throw is hip, stomach, scapula, shoulder, elbow, wrist,  you will get the max amount of power from your body.

Again take this with a grain of salt, since I cant actually do what I am talking about.  I will be working on it though.  Will let you know in 2-3 months if I succeed and if my assumption is correct. 

Edit:  Thank you so much for this clip it really helps figure out technique.

I think you are right, actually. The kinetic train is most efficient if the hips rotate first, then the shoulders/core. If you watch pitching/javelin throwing, this is always the case with world-class athletes. In pitching it is called shoulder-to-hip separation. I have about 0 of that.

It is probably the case for slinging as well, that it would be most powerful/efficient transfer of muscle power into the sling to do it as you suggest.  I just don't know how to reprogram 12 years of my own slinging habits. I wish there were a good way to do it.

John R.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #6 - Oct 12th, 2020 at 2:36pm

For reference, the fastest baseball pitch without a sling was 105.1 mph with a ~150g baseball. 

https://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/fastest-baseball-pitch-(male)...

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Chris, Kick, Morphy, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Rat Man)