Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Finally got power. SOLAR (Read 1399 times)
vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Finally got power. SOLAR
Sep 25th, 2020 at 12:05pm

Since we moved to Maine, we have had NO power. The system isnt 100%fully functional,  because we have wind turbine to still put up, but as of right now we have solar up and running. We have 10, 100watt panels up.  With 2 batteries with room to expand the system when we are ready. Now i am not a mechanic,  or electrician. My neighbor who just installed a smaller system on his place, helped me. It was a headache, since the day i purchased em. Including the company i got em from. I dont know the technical wording.  So i will leave it at that. But the system runs 24 volts. The system when will be completed with the wind turbine set up, will give 1400 watts of power to my system. Dont mind the mead in the corner,  i am getting ready to bottle it.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Re: Finally got power. SOLAR
Reply #1 - Sep 25th, 2020 at 5:55pm

Interesting... I’ve never seen the panels set up pointing in multiple directions like that. Does it switch between panels as the sun moves instead of drawing energy from both?

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #2 - Sep 25th, 2020 at 8:49pm

It doesn't,  they are on a frame together.  Reason for the different angles,  my original plan changed, after the company not answering questions, and giving me wrong information. But with us so far north, we are about 1 mile from the Canada border the panels are pointed south. For winter. The area the panels are in an areathat is clear and wide open, so for a bit 5 panels will get some sun in the morning,  but in the evening all. 10 will get eveni g sun until it disappears

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #3 - Sep 25th, 2020 at 10:23pm

For not knowing what you're doing it looks like you're doing a pretty good job.

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #4 - Sep 25th, 2020 at 11:18pm

Rat Man wrote on Sep 25th, 2020 at 10:23pm:
  For not knowing what you're doing it looks like you're doing a pretty good job.

My thoughts exactly.

John R.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #5 - Sep 26th, 2020 at 4:52am

I read a few books about it, and spent countless hours watching YouTube videos. Which a lot of junk is on there. Never realized how many people put up tutorials and 80% have conflicting information.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #6 - Sep 27th, 2020 at 12:39pm

24v eh ?
you can run a 3d printer off that Smiley

And that would help no end with stuff Smiley

My curent recommendation would be a two trees sapphire pro.
Awesome little beast. for $300 it's a serious bit of kit.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #7 - Sep 29th, 2020 at 7:50am

I could,  its just i been having problems with the system.  I willneed to rewire it. The inverter alarm has been going off, but no information as to troubleshoot can be found in the manual. I am just trying to charge a few things. Hopefully i can get it done this week

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #8 - Sep 30th, 2020 at 6:47am

I know a thing or two about solar and we use 24V inverters with the driverless cars at my day job... happy to help if I can do something from here in Texas.

Inverters are always a headache.  Usually an alarm means low input voltage. My first suspect would be those clips on your battery terminals.  A little bit of corrosion on any one of those connections could limit the current and cause intermittent alarms from the inverter even if the batteries are fully charged.

Short-term: grab a wire brush and a can or bottle of Coca-Cola and make sure all the terminals and clips are clean. Coca-Cola makes a good battery cleaner because it is so acidic.  Just rinse everything with water when you are done so it won’t be sticky from the cola.  Other cola brands may or may not work as well. (Obviously you should disconnect everything before pouring liquids over battery terminals). 

Longer-term...if you replace those big clips with terminal rings and fasten them down to each battery lug with a washer and a nut, the system will be much more reliable.  Any automotive parts store should have everything you need to do this. 

https://itstillruns.com/clean-car-battery-coca-cola-6367458.html

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #9 - Sep 30th, 2020 at 8:37pm

Thanks for some input. The. Whole system including the batteries are vbrand new,few months old. Never been  Used. But idid just purchase those terminal rings,i will be repl5those this weekend.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #10 - Sep 30th, 2020 at 10:14pm

vetryan15 wrote on Sep 25th, 2020 at 12:05pm:
Dont mind the mead in the corner,  i am getting ready to bottle it.

Totally not on the topic of the thread, but I hope you post some pictures once you get it bottled. Smiley

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #11 - Oct 1st, 2020 at 6:31am

joe_meadmaker wrote on Sep 30th, 2020 at 10:14pm:
vetryan15 wrote on Sep 25th, 2020 at 12:05pm:
Dont mind the mead in the corner,  i am getting ready to bottle it.

Totally not on the topic of the thread, but I hope you post some pictures once you get it bottled. Smiley

Funny about that, i actually just bottled it last night and. I will try to take pics and post today

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Chris, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man)