Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Quick slinging evening (Read 1272 times)
LordValin
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

The Netherlands
Quick slinging evening
Sep 16th, 2020 at 4:05pm

Went to the river yesterday for a bit of slinging.
Cool locale on the riverbank with plenty of stones and free, open space. Unfortunately that particular part of beach had mostly old, rounded pieces of brick or sharp bits of basalt. Not the most amazing ammunition.

Brick isn't really that dense and the basalt was too edgy to have any kind of accuracy at all.

Using my cupped, braided string I averaged about 60m (according to Google Maps) distance using a simple overhand throw without pre-spinning.

Twice I found a good sized, rounded and dense stone which went between 85-100m distance, just over a small mud flat!

Found a weird, light ovoid ?stone? I suppose? It was really light so I think it's actually an old barbecue brick Grin.

Pictures in link below.
http://imgur.com/gallery/Hj7cDqy

On another note, I just can't seem to get the hang of throwing with a pre-spin. Does it actually add range and power or is it mostly for form?

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Re: Quick slinging evening
Reply #1 - Sep 16th, 2020 at 4:17pm

Pre-spins aren't actually necessary. It can help with feeling the weight of the ammo before you throw but on the whole it doesn't add much.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #2 - Sep 16th, 2020 at 7:58pm

Like Kick mentioned, a pre-spin (rotor) can give you a feel for the weight of your projectile.  Another thing is it puts the projectile in motion, so less energy is needed to get it moving when you go into your throw.

You said you can't get the hang of it.  I think a big part is what feels natural and comfortable for you.  I'm the exact opposite.  I always use a rotor.  I've thrown a little bit without it, but the throw feels rushed and incomplete.

And beautiful looking location you have there!  Smiley

IP Logged

CrazyBrave333
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Australia
Reply #3 - Sep 16th, 2020 at 11:45pm

Nice pics- that stone looked odd- what is it?

IP Logged

LordValin
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

The Netherlands
Reply #4 - Sep 17th, 2020 at 6:17am

CrazyBrave333 wrote on Sep 16th, 2020 at 11:45pm:
Nice pics- that stone looked odd- what is it?

I actually think it's a water soaked bbq brick  Grin

IP Logged

LordValin
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

The Netherlands
Reply #5 - Sep 17th, 2020 at 6:19am

joe_meadmaker wrote on Sep 16th, 2020 at 7:58pm:
Like Kick mentioned, a pre-spin (rotor) can give you a feel for the weight of your projectile.  Another thing is it puts the projectile in motion, so less energy is needed to get it moving when you go into your throw.

You said you can't get the hang of it.  I think a big part is what feels natural and comfortable for you.  I'm the exact opposite.  I always use a rotor.  I've thrown a little bit without it, but the throw feels rushed and incomplete.

And beautiful looking location you have there!  Smiley

I usually swing it a bit forward underhand before I bring it over my shoulder and throw it. Only way I get actually get any kind of accuracy haha

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #6 - Sep 19th, 2020 at 2:48pm

It’s a conversation for the maths section... but pre-spin stores some energy before the throw. I just started playing with it recently and it also helps index your body position for aiming... plus feeling the weight of the ammo.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #7 - Sep 20th, 2020 at 4:29pm

You're getting pretty good distance. Beautiful slinging site.  For my first few months of slinging I also didn't use any pre-spin.  I used just Apache Style, which is OK for certain circumstances but is limited in its range and accuracy.  Using pre-spin just felt awkward to me.  I practiced other styles using pinecones at first so I didn't hurt myself or anyone else.  Eventually I got the hang of it and my overall performance improved. 
   Everyone is different.  There are several styles that don't use pre-spin that are effective.  I would say experiment, learn everything, and retain what works for you.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Chris, Morphy, Kick, Rat Man, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker)