Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Re: Clay Golf balls?
Reply #17 - Sep 8th, 2020 at 5:00pm

Archaic Arms wrote on Sep 8th, 2020 at 4:24pm:
This might be of some interest.
As the drag coefficient for turbulent flow is less than that of laminar, I think it's safe to assume that these bodies would benefit from having dimples on their surface.

Bottom image shows why really pointy glandes are not preferable for maximum range.

I haven't seen this before, but always wondered why this was the case. Thank you for educating me!

Jaegoor wrote on Sep 8th, 2020 at 4:25pm:
Look for chocolate molding molds.  There are also golf balls

That's a good idea.

John R.

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #18 - Sep 8th, 2020 at 5:13pm

I tried it years ago.  I did not find a significant difference.  Biconical cross golf balls are really good to shoot.  I always wanted to make a form of it.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #19 - Sep 8th, 2020 at 8:53pm

Pointy glandes are for war or hunting, not max distances.
Everything has its place

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

TOMBELAINE
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

france
Reply #20 - Sep 9th, 2020 at 8:12am

Mersa said : "Pointy glandes are for war or hunting".

Why ? It's possible but ...  Huh

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #21 - Sep 9th, 2020 at 12:22pm

@albion
once you've got a cad model - then it's easy to make the mould.

having compared an actual golf ball with the model I found. The dimples are a lot shallower and do overlap on a normal golf ball.

So I'll go back to my script and have another fiddle Smiley
Golf cross ball mould for jaegoor - check Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #22 - Sep 9th, 2020 at 2:39pm

Jaegoor wrote on Sep 8th, 2020 at 5:13pm:
Biconical cross golf balls are really good to shoot.  I always wanted to make a form of it.

That's a really good idea!
Also because of it's shape, the dimples would turn out better on the sides of the projectile, when made from a 2-sided mould.
It would also sit better in my split-pouches...

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #23 - Sep 9th, 2020 at 3:20pm

@CA... golf dimples should be super easy in OpenScad... it’s just a nested for loop to generate rings of spheres... then you subtract those from the biconical. You can tweak the depth and size of the dimples easily too.

It does seem like it would be more difficult to get the mould to release though unless you are using a silicone mould

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #24 - Sep 10th, 2020 at 12:44pm

nah - talcumn powder or flour works a lot better. the press moulds - as long as you dust them properly release really easy.
even this skull shape comes out fairly easy - and these were made form playdough.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #25 - Sep 10th, 2020 at 12:49pm

putting even dimples on a glande shape is actually really bloody complicated.
as the size of the circle of dimples and the number changes for each 'loop'.
And my maths does not include any knowlege of geometry - I still have not the foggiest diea what sin and cosin are or what they do.

It's a lot easier making a dimpled sphere and then stretching it into a glande shape.

And looking at a golf ball, it would appear that overlaps aren't that important.
Golf balls actually have more of a wrinkled skin appearance - rather than obvious dimples. That's a lot easier to do.

I will take the dogs for  a walk and let the little grey cells do some background processing.

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #26 - Sep 10th, 2020 at 3:05pm

CA, I may join you in your OpenSCAD quest for a dimpled sphere. and I agree it isn't as simple as a for loop of rings of subtracted spheres. The dimples are close packed on a golf ball. A few nested for loops might do it, but I'm not convinced, I think the needed equation and/or algorithm to get the close packing is a bit more complex than that.

John R.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #27 - Sep 10th, 2020 at 7:19pm

Curious Aardvark wrote on Sep 10th, 2020 at 12:49pm:
putting even dimples on a glande shape is actually really bloody complicated.
as the size of the circle of dimples and the number changes for each 'loop'.
And my maths does not include any knowlege of geometry - I still have not the foggiest diea what sin and cosin are or what they do.

It's a lot easier making a dimpled sphere and then stretching it into a glande shape.

And looking at a golf ball, it would appear that overlaps aren't that important.
Golf balls actually have more of a wrinkled skin appearance - rather than obvious dimples. That's a lot easier to do.

I will take the dogs for  a walk and let the little grey cells do some background processing.

I’ll try to take a crack at it maybe this weekend. You’re right that it would be difficult without an intuition on sin and cos Smiley

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #28 - Sep 10th, 2020 at 10:42pm

Those skulls would be rather intimidating if they were made of lead (or some other heavy material), with a whistling hole in each eye...

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

CrazyBrave333
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Australia
Reply #29 - Sep 10th, 2020 at 11:15pm

I’ve used clay balls as ammo for most of my time slinging- I live in an area with high clay soils.

I just dig a spade full of two of topsoil, make it into mud, knead well to make it sticky, roll into balls and leave to bake in the sun or slowly bake in the oven.

They’re easy, quick and hold together really well. My favourite thing about them is they break down next time it rains making them very eco (and lawnmower blade) friendly. I haven’t done dimples yet...

Those golf cross balls look fantastic!!! Can you tell more about how they are to sling? I was thinking of getting some and putting some threaded rod through the length of them to up the weight a little...
« Last Edit: Sep 11th, 2020 at 1:02am by CrazyBrave333 »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Morphy, joe_meadmaker, Kick, vetryan15)