Split pouch slings (Read 4693 times)
NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Split pouch slings
Sep 6th, 2020 at 6:34am

(Asking for a friend)

Two questions:
A) Is there a name for a split pouch sling with an all-leather pouch?
2. For those who don’t like the split pouch... why?  Is it only about ammo falling out of the pouch and flying dangerously in any direction? Or is there some other reason people prefer solid pouches?

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Re: Split pouch slings
Reply #1 - Sep 6th, 2020 at 9:28am

I think the only logical reason to use a split pouch is when using larger ammo. I made a split pouch to throw tennis balls.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #2 - Sep 6th, 2020 at 10:17am

I’ve used split pouches with tennis balls too, but I’ve also seen people say that split pouches don’t play nice with balls and that you need to use rocks.

Personally I don’t see a huge difference between split pouches and properly sized cupped pouches with tennis balls, but I’m pretty new to using split pouches. The main difference I see so far is that a cupped pouch has slightly better retention of the ammo.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #3 - Sep 6th, 2020 at 1:24pm

I like split pouch slings because of their versatility.  You can throw many different sized and shaped projectiles with the same sling.  I never have a problem with ammo falling out prematurely. The Rockman is one of my favorite sling designs.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #4 - Sep 6th, 2020 at 3:12pm

There's absolutely nothing wrong with split pouches as long as you choose the right ammo. Even spherical ammo can be be used if the pouch is the right fit.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #5 - Sep 6th, 2020 at 3:30pm

I believe the Balearic-type split-pouch is the best design for throwing stones. It will effectively hold any proper sized stone, and stones almost never get hung up on release.
I would only really use a full-pouch if I was throwing small projectiles or glandes.

I think the main criticism of the split-pouches is that projectiles may fall out more easily, but I only really had this problem when I was just starting out. To me, the benefits greatly out-way the downsides.

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #6 - Sep 7th, 2020 at 12:53am

Ok... so is there a name for the split pouch sling where the pouch is made entirely out of leather?  I’ve seen them on here occasionally (and made a few myself), but they don’t seem to have a specific name or origin.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #7 - Sep 7th, 2020 at 1:48am

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Sep 7th, 2020 at 12:53am:
the split pouch sling where the pouch is made entirely out of leather

Can you link an example of this?

I've used a cupped pouch way more than a split pouch, but I use spherical projectiles much more often as well.  In my experience, a cupped pouch holds spherical projectiles much better.  If your projectile has a center of mass that is closer to the pouch, then a split pouch works very well.  I have used split pouches for ice balls, and have had them come out early during the throw.  Admittedly it was likely my technique that was the issue, and could be corrected with more practice.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #8 - Sep 7th, 2020 at 10:52am

joe_meadmaker wrote on Sep 7th, 2020 at 1:48am:
NooneOfConsequence wrote on Sep 7th, 2020 at 12:53am:
the split pouch sling where the pouch is made entirely out of leather

Can you link an example of this?

Sure... I just posted this one in the pictures of slings thread a few days ago.  Here it is again. There are similar ones on the forum from 10+ years ago but I haven’t found a name other than “leather split pouch”

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #9 - Sep 7th, 2020 at 11:13am

I gotcha.  I've used a pouch like that several times.  I like them a lot.  But isn't this a leather version of what's referred to (at least recently, not sure about 10 years ago) as the Rockman?  Or does a pouch need to be woven to be a Rockman?

In my opinion this style of pouch behaves much more like a cupped pouch than a split pouch. I definitely get why someone would call it a split pouch.  But because of how the leather overlap is alternated on each side, it does not lay flat.

IP Logged

Captain_Twine
Descens

Substance is a Word.

Somewhere with crummy rocks
Reply #10 - Sep 7th, 2020 at 1:54pm

Hmm... I had a thought. I made a sling like that one once, with the alternating leather overlap design. This keeps the pouch from ever going flat, even upon release - Helping retention, but harming release. Making them not overlap causes them to slide against one another, making it almost impossible to load in the first place, much less retain the shot. I wonder, though, if any of these alternatives would help:

I. If the pouch straps were flexible enough to go flat or even turn inside-out upon release, it might make the release cleaner. I made mine with super-thick leather that would remain cupped after release, which I think may have hindered the projectile.

II. If the pouch straps were suspended independently of one another, maybe they would have more room to open more upon release, like this:

“For as this ought, or ought not, expresses some new relation or affirmation, 'tis necessary that it should be observed and explained; and... a reason should be given, for what seems altogether inconceivable, how this new relation can be a deduction from others, which are entirely different from it. ..[V]ice and virtue is not founded merely on the relations of objects, nor is perceived by reason.”

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Reply #11 - Sep 7th, 2020 at 2:06pm

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Sep 7th, 2020 at 10:52am:
There are similar ones on the forum from 10+ years ago but I haven’t found a name other than “leather split pouch”

That's called an Aussi pouch. AussiSlinger / Aussi / Ludwik Siedlecki used to give these away for free. May he rest in peace. He made them out of old conveyer belt if I remember correctly.

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Reply #12 - Sep 7th, 2020 at 2:10pm

joe_meadmaker wrote on Sep 7th, 2020 at 11:13am:
Or does a pouch need to be woven to be a Rockman?

A rockman used to refer to a woven split pouch. The two parts can lay side by side, but can also be crossed over (as in an Aussi). It is named after Rockman / Bruno Tosso, who posted a tutorial a long time ago.
It is a simplified version of an andean sling design.

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Reply #13 - Sep 7th, 2020 at 2:15pm

http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1270681768
This defines some common terms.

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #14 - Sep 7th, 2020 at 2:19pm

Split pouches are great. And designs like aussie pouch and rockman integrate a solid pouch element which provides advantages of both.

My philosophy is that solid pouch and split pouch slings can both be great designs, but they require you to know what you are doing and build them right for the right ammo. You have to know the limitations and strengths.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, Kick, Chris, vetryan15)