Send Topic Print
Split pouch slings (Read 4692 times)
joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Re: Split pouch slings
Reply #30 - Oct 2nd, 2020 at 7:33pm

I think it may depend on the throw.  But I know my own throws have contact with the release cord.

I have a black walnut tree in my yard.  Once they fall to the ground, I just sling them out into the brush.  Autumn has arrived and I actually did this yesterday.  If you're not familiar with a black walnut, underneath the outer shell is this black tar-like stuff that stains everything like crazy.  When slinging, some of them always break open a little bit and leave that black stuff on the release cord of the sling.

Here's one of my slings that I've used for this.  You can see the cordage is stained where the black walnuts push passed the release cord.  This is another reason that I would love to get a high speed camera one of these days.  I'd like to see some close-up, slow motion videos of the release.

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #31 - Oct 2nd, 2020 at 10:40pm

Joe, totally off topic. If you ever have animal skins, apparently walnut husks have ~20% tannin content. Tannins can be used to tan hides. I've used oak bark and ponderosa pine. Oak is really strong and it is only around 10-15% tannin content.

Also, I'm going to use my wife's Pixel 3a and a bluetooth remote tomorrow to shoot some 240 fps video from overhead and hopefully of the release from different directions. Some of David's footage shows quite a bit of contact. If you haven't seen them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJjFK68mn0w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDTO1VYoMXw

John R.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #32 - Oct 3rd, 2020 at 9:19am

Didn't know that about the walnut husks.  That's not something I've ever done before, but maybe someday.

Thanks for linking David's videos.  I've watched a number of his videos but hadn't seen those ones.  That's kind of what I was expecting to see.  A roll off the release cord until it's pushed out of the way.

Also, it looks like David's channel has a bunch of videos from Mallorca that were posted a couple weeks ago.  Just mentioning in case anyone want to check them out.  It looks like a bunch of short clips.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #33 - Oct 3rd, 2020 at 3:35pm

I'm in one of those clips Cheesy

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #34 - Oct 3rd, 2020 at 8:00pm

Kick wrote on Oct 3rd, 2020 at 3:35pm:
I'm in one of those clips Cheesy

I saw that! Thumbs Up

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #35 - Oct 3rd, 2020 at 8:08pm

Kick, you're just racking up those claims to fame!

John R.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #36 - Oct 4th, 2020 at 1:49am

Like I said in the other comment, you just have to find a niche enough hobby and you'll climb the ranks in no time  Wink

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Eudave

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #37 - Oct 19th, 2020 at 2:03pm

I like split pouches the best  . I have tried many others but find that the split pouch wilo fit a variety of shapes and sizes  , and tends to release far cleaner than anything else.
     due to the way they are made they are very easie to adjust ,make them about six inches long and then adjust to desired length
  keep the attatchment holes large and even,  and leave the cord loose in them to establish equilibrem .    At least ,these are my thoughts and experience .

IP Logged

Geronimo
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #38 - Oct 29th, 2020 at 10:09pm

I try making the odd solid pouch sling, but always end up making more split pouch ones after just because they're so versatile. I frequently put a net in the centre of my pouches as well; that way there's zero chance of ammo slipping through (not that it ever happens anyway if you load your sling correctly) but it still cradles like a split pouch! All the safety of a solid pouch with the versatility of a split pouch.

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #39 - Oct 29th, 2020 at 10:36pm

@
Geronimo

please post a pic showing the net in a split pouch.

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #40 - Oct 30th, 2020 at 11:04pm

Eudave wrote on Oct 19th, 2020 at 2:03pm:
  I like split pouches the best  . I have tried many others but find that the split pouch wilo fit a variety of shapes and sizes  , and tends to release far cleaner than anything else.
     due to the way they are made they are very easie to adjust ,make them about six inches long and then adjust to desired length
  keep the attatchment holes large and even,  and leave the cord loose in them to establish equilibrem .    At least ,these are my thoughts and experience .

What do you mean about adjusting them to length?  Is this during the manufacture of the sling? or afterwards? If you have a design to change the pouch size after the sling is made, I'd love to see it.

John R.

IP Logged

Eudave

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #41 - Nov 12th, 2020 at 2:15pm

I have to admit that split pouches seeem to work better for me , I dont like the cupped ones
I was slinging with a new white para cord sling and found something interesting .
   I was using black walnuts  in the husk and discovered that they were leavin a brown mark on th release cord about two thirds of the way up .
   The cord was not getting out of the way fast enough .I am working with that now to find out why ?  Any insites would be gratefully received

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #42 - Nov 12th, 2020 at 3:53pm

Do you have a large tassle on the release cord? Tassles slow down the cord so could be leaving it in the way of the walnuts. Tapering the cords and maybe making a larger knot can help it get out of the way faster.

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #43 - Nov 12th, 2020 at 11:41pm

Eudave wrote on Nov 12th, 2020 at 2:15pm:
I have to admit that split pouches seeem to work better for me , I dont like the cupped ones
I was slinging with a new white para cord sling and found something interesting .
   I was using black walnuts  in the husk and discovered that they were leavin a brown mark on th release cord about two thirds of the way up .
   The cord was not getting out of the way fast enough .I am working with that now to find out why ?  Any insites would be gratefully received

I think this is universally true for slings. The amount of contact with the release cord depends on design, as mentioned by Kick.  We've had a lot of discussion about that subject this year.

This video shows a good example, which is apparently rather extreme in the amount of contact, because the release cord was very stiff, but you can see the physics of what is happening. A lighter release cord could get out of the way faster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJjFK68mn0w

This second video has much less contact on release.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvidIcGUXkQ

If you didn't already know, if you pause the video and hit "<" and ">" you can go frame by frame. Its a very instructive way of watching youtube.

John R.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, Kick, Chris, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15)