Split pouch slings (Read 4775 times)
joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Re: Split pouch slings
Reply #15 - Sep 7th, 2020 at 2:26pm

Teg wrote on Sep 7th, 2020 at 2:10pm:
A rockman used to refer to a woven split pouch.

My understanding of the rockman was incorrect.  Thanks for the clarification!

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #16 - Sep 7th, 2020 at 6:30pm

My sling preference is always a split pouch, but I mainly throw inconsistent ammo so I need the ability to switch from stone to stone.

For me it’s never really a problem holding ammo unless it’s clearly too small or big, a solid pouch might solve to too small problem but not the too big. Another issue is polished spheres you are limited to a more specific size, in general I think both designs work and neither is better than the others it’s all preference and practice.

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Eudave

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #17 - Sep 28th, 2020 at 2:39pm

I have cupped pouches that tend to wrap around the rock  or Walnut as you sling   then come back and hit me because  it doesn't release .

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #18 - Sep 28th, 2020 at 2:45pm

As a result of some experimentation, I have recently become quite fond of what I call a 'double-split pouch'. For thin slings where a normal split pouch isn't preferable, it provides good stone retention while still providing a clean release. It also can accept a good variety of stone sizes.

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Reply #19 - Sep 28th, 2020 at 3:55pm

Eudave wrote on Sep 28th, 2020 at 2:39pm:
I have cupped pouches that tend to wrap around the rock  or Walnut as you sling   then come back and hit me because  it doesn't release .

I recommend to trash these slings immediately. I once overstretched an ellbow because the stone did not release. It's quite dangerous.

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #20 - Sep 28th, 2020 at 5:16pm

Eudave wrote on Sep 28th, 2020 at 2:39pm:

can you upload a picture ? I'm curious
it sounds like some kind of bucket pouch sling

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #21 - Sep 29th, 2020 at 12:02am

Sarosh, You have made a few Egyptian-type slings - do you think the cupped pouch negatively effects the consistency of your throws?

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

Funditor406
Descens

Shattered Remains. Wonder
why.

Turah, Montana
Reply #22 - Sep 29th, 2020 at 2:56am

To me; a split pouch is mainly made for the reason that they are a lot quicker and easier to make than cupped pouches if we’re talking about just making slings from fiber, they certainly work and are a good choice for a rugged shepherd or a speedy skirmisher. But if somebody had leather or something laying around they would probably go for a solid pouch as that would make sling production even faster. I prefer cupped pouches as I tend to sling a certain size anyway. I remember CA posted something about split pouches and his experiences with them being a bit unpredictable, and unfortunately my personal experiences are similarly bad enough to where I’d rather spend the extra time and make a solid one.

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #23 - Sep 29th, 2020 at 2:56am

Archaic Arms wrote on Sep 29th, 2020 at 12:02am:
Sarosh, You have made a few Egyptian-type slings - do you think the cupped pouch negatively effects the consistency of your throws?

Somewhat. It feels like it adds delay on release of light stones. I believe it can be compensated. I haven't concluded if it adds or steals energy in any way. I should mention that the egyptian style slings that I made were tightened a lot.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #24 - Sep 29th, 2020 at 10:33am

I have a sling with a fairly deep pouch.  As Eudave described, I also once had a misfire with this sling.  There wasn't any injury, but it tweaked my arm a little bit when the projectile didn't release.  I have since stopped using this sling.

It seemed to be fine with large projectiles, so the pouch couldn't form around it.  But with smaller projectiles, no good at all.

I'll get it fixed at some point in the near future.  I'm just going to cut the pouch off and put on a new one that's more flat.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #25 - Sep 29th, 2020 at 7:45pm

Early in my slinging career I had the same experience, I’m almost always using the same sling these days , split pouch for me is a great design

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #26 - Oct 1st, 2020 at 2:01am

I kinda settled in the middle.

For me, too much cupping and the stone tends to touch the rim of the pouch as it releases. That contact basically deflects your shot.
   That being said, too thin of a split pouch does seem to let the stones fall out.
I settled on a "semi-split" pouch modeled after an old member's(Pikaru) design.

It's flat so there's no rim for the stone to catch on but the slit does allow the stone to sink into the pouch a bit.

So perhaps my question is: If you had to vouch, how much couch do you like in your pouch?   Cheesy

IMG_20201001_024813.jpg (3578 KB | 35 )
IMG_20201001_024813.jpg

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #27 - Oct 1st, 2020 at 10:31am

This problem was recognized a long time ago.  Projectiles can really suck themselves into the sling.  There are several solutions to this.  You share the letter.  Or you put many slits in the letter.  The latter can be found at Haithabu and many Nordic slings.  A split letter is the main reason for biconical projectiles.  There is one more method to prevent bulging.  I found it in Tibetan slings.  But also with the cordaillot sling from Switzerland.  This slingshot is very old.  It dates from the 10th century BC.  The principle is simple.  Leave a thick thread in the middle of the letter fabric.  This very effectively prevents bulging.  But I think this type of sling fires a special projectile.  I've tested that.  It's surprisingly effective.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #28 - Oct 2nd, 2020 at 8:07am

One of the questions in my mind is what the relative timing is during the release process.  This will have a major impact on how you design your sling.  If the ammo leaves the sling before the release cord is out of the way, then the ammo must exit to one side of the release cord, possibly pushing the cord out of the way and interfering with the shot.

If the release cord opens up faster than the ammo rolls out, then the ammo can exit straight out of the open pouch without interference. 

If the ammo rolls off to one side of the cord, your sling pouch geometry matters a lot.  The more the ammo moves to the side, the more it impacts your accuracy.  You can adjust your aim to compensate, of course, but if you change the pouch shape, you also have to change your aim compensation. 

If, on the other hand, the pouch and cord both move out of the way first, then the shape of the pouch does not matter as much, and you could throw exactly the same way with different sling designs. 

It's possible that both situations occur at different times, depending on how fast you are throwing, how heavy the ammo is, how much friction there is between the ammo and the pouch, and air resistance on the release cord... but then again, it's also possible that the ammo always releases to the side?  The straight rib along the Cordailot sling suggests that the release cord moves out of the way, but we've all had situations where the cord hangs up and throws off a shot too.

This is yet another one of those investigations I haven't had time to really investigate... and yet another question that a robo-slinger could help to answer... some day.

release_timing.jpg (160 KB | 48 )
release_timing.jpg

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #29 - Oct 2nd, 2020 at 6:16pm

I believe it leaves perpendicular to the release cord. Or at least on an angle

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, Rat Man, Chris, Kick, Morphy, joe_meadmaker)