Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Andean Sling Braiding (Read 575 times)
paleryder
Descens

Le Roy, IL
Andean Sling Braiding
Sep 5th, 2020 at 9:30pm

I officially hate COVID. I purchased a couple of books by Rodrick Owen on making Andean braids. He teaches the card and Marudai method. One book is Andean Sling Braids: New Designs for Textile Artists. Another is Sling Braiding Traditions and Techniques: From Peru, Bolivia, and Around the World. The latter one walks you through an entire sling.

I was supposed to have a class with the author in October. I was going to try and learn how to do the sling with a core. The event was changed to remote only because of COVID. He's in England so it was unclear whether or not he could make it. I decided to cancel instead of trying to do it remotely. Maybe there will be another time. Mr. Owen did e-mail with me. He seems like a really nice guy. I told him about this forum.

Just an FYI. The book is good.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Re: Andean Sling Braiding
Reply #1 - Sep 5th, 2020 at 11:21pm

I have the second book you mentioned.  I didn't know there were classes.  Where did you find out about that?

IP Logged

paleryder
Descens

Le Roy, IL
Reply #2 - Sep 5th, 2020 at 11:41pm

I just ran across it one day. They were offering a class at redstoneglen.com You could choose Andean flat-braiding or sling braiding. I was really looking forward to the class. I don't know how often this is offered. If it's an annual thing, I'll go next year.

IP Logged

paleryder
Descens

Le Roy, IL
Reply #3 - Sep 5th, 2020 at 11:43pm

Red Stone Glen is in your neck of the woods (Penn). They offer a lot of different classes involving fibers.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #4 - Sep 5th, 2020 at 11:52pm

Right on, thanks!  I'll take a look.  I hope the class comes back around for you.  It does sound pretty awesome.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Morphy, Chris, Kick, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15)