Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Most Universally Loved Fictional Characters of All Time. (Read 144 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Most Universally Loved Fictional Characters of All Time.
Sep 4th, 2020 at 3:31pm

The title says it all.  My pick is Mr. Miyagi from the Karate Kid. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPMpDCxhKGU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5AJgS_4FvU
Fighting not good.  Somebody always get hurt:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7D_6z1EnSik

Edit:  I could have put Mr. Miyagi in my Bad Assed Movie Characters thread.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Slinging.org Administrator

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Re: Most Universally Loved Fictional Characters of All Time.
Reply #1 - Sep 7th, 2020 at 8:41am

tricky one to define.

'loved' - if that was 'universally known' - then probably 'sherlock holmes' - who many americans believe was a real person whistle

I suspect it's also a generational thing as well as a cultural and country based thing too.

Interesting to see what people come up with. Smiley

Harry potter - probably the most recent and completely globally loved character around.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Reply #2 - Sep 8th, 2020 at 5:08am

Mickey Mouse.  Nobody dislikes Mickey. 

I suppose if this is truly “of all time” then older characters would have an advantage over modern ones simply because they have been around longer and more people have had an opportunity to love them.

D’Artagnan probably has a slight advantage over the Count of Monte Christo simply because The Three Musketeers has broader cultural penetration. The Count was a more compelling and dynamic character overall... he was the original Batman, using his fortunes to fight evil, but he’s also less well-known compared to D’Artagnan among characters invented by Dumas.

You might have to go with someone like Hercules from Greek Mythology. He’s had a couple thousand years to be appreciated across many cultures and languages.  I guess you would really have to look at the sum of all generations over 2,000 years and compare that against the exponential population explosion of the last 100 years to do a fair comparison of Hercules versus Mickey Mouse

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Reply #3 - Sep 8th, 2020 at 5:29am

Nope. Forget my previous analysis. I’ve got it. Clearly the answer is Jesus the Noodler!

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Kick
Interfector Viris Spurii

Finland
Reply #4 - Sep 8th, 2020 at 7:03am

Out of left field -> Ripley from Alien.

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #5 - Sep 14th, 2020 at 6:22am

Doctor Who.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, Rat Man) - (Moderator Group: Forum Moderator)