Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Anyone know what happened to jauke ? (Read 1811 times)
Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Anyone know what happened to jauke ?
Sep 1st, 2020 at 9:54am

I know I can't read everything and i don't snoop pm's.

But are any of you in contact with him ?

Just seems weird that a couple of weeks ago he 'suddenly' changes all his posts  to '.' changes his username, claims he's found god in his signature and vanishes.

Seems odd - even for a forum full of odd people whistle

Does anyone know what  heralded this behaviour ?
I'm pretty sure it was nothing anyone here did or said - but I'd like to know he was okay.

So if anyone knows anything please let me know - pm if it's not for public consumption.

If you're reading this mate - please let me know you're okay.
or if not, if there's anything at all we can do to help.

CA

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Re: Anyone know what happened to jauke ?
Reply #1 - Sep 1st, 2020 at 12:12pm

I was going to link to his last post but that's gone too now so I'll copy paste what I wrote when someone else asked a little while back:

"As far as I can tell, most of his posts were on his experiments with understanding and improving the sling, but then he came to the final conclusion that the Baleric sling can't really be improved upon, the y-sling was just a novelty and doesn't actually improve upon the sling. Everything that can be done with the y-sling can be done with a Balearic sling, but you can't say the same for the inverse. After concluding this, he decided to remove his wrong assumptions from the forum, but, because of his stream-of-consciousness style of posting, that meant basically all of his posts. Can't say it aligns too much with the scientific method that I think most on the forum believe is the best way of documenting our experiences, but... Anyway what's done is done."

Why this happened, I don't really know. He seemed to be saying that he had come to the "end of the road" of his slinging experiments and so just... left. *Shrug*

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #2 - Sep 1st, 2020 at 2:34pm

Maybe he’ll come back some day. Am I the only person who traded slings with him? I sent him an asymmetric sling, and he mailed me an experimental Y-sling AND a woven jute sling with a tab release.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #3 - Sep 2nd, 2020 at 1:58pm

well as long as it's not an issue in his personal life.
I guess it is what it is.

But I really need to see if I can block the mass deletion of posts.
just not necessary and does make sections of the forum somewhat 'odd' to read.

Had someone on 3dprint.com who bought the same delta printer I did at roughly the same time.

Decided to just up and vanish with all his posts after about 6 months. So my whole delta thread is now more than  a little surreal Smiley

It's not a setting I've ever noticed - but then it's not something I've ever looked for either.

( a short while later)
Well technically users should not be able to delete any posts older than 6 days.
That definitely isn't working.

Oh well - there's nothing else I can change. 

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Captain_Twine
Descens

Substance is a Word.

Somewhere with crummy rocks
Reply #4 - Sep 2nd, 2020 at 7:34pm

I think he may have technically used the Modify function to edit his posts to say nothing? I haven't checked myself yet, but I think it might still be possible, even if deleting isn't an option.
« Last Edit: Sep 3rd, 2020 at 3:13pm by Captain_Twine »  

“For as this ought, or ought not, expresses some new relation or affirmation, 'tis necessary that it should be observed and explained; and... a reason should be given, for what seems altogether inconceivable, how this new relation can be a deduction from others, which are entirely different from it. ..[V]ice and virtue is not founded merely on the relations of objects, nor is perceived by reason.”

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #5 - Sep 3rd, 2020 at 2:24pm

Yeah I don't think he deleted them just took all the words out. It didn't sound like a personal life thing as far as I could tell. He was saying for a little while that after the summer he was going to be "too busy" for slinging so I think it might just be that. He might well be back eventually. He was here a long time ago then suddenly popped back up. Will probably happen again.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Captain_Twine
Descens

Substance is a Word.

Somewhere with crummy rocks
Reply #6 - Sep 3rd, 2020 at 3:20pm

His most recent signature said that he had "put down my sword (sling)" and put his dependence on God... I wonder if he left on philosophical/moral reasons? Maybe he decided that practicing the use of a weapon was against his conscience, and decided to quietly drop out of the slinging scene. If he's left and come back before, though, I doubt that's the reason. Honestly though, it's all speculation at this point - we'll likely never know unless he comes back and says so himself. Sometimes life is like that.

Whatever he did to change his posts, he did a pretty thorough job of it - Out of his last 120 posts I counted around ten that he hadn't deleted, all having nothing to do with the Y-sling.

“For as this ought, or ought not, expresses some new relation or affirmation, 'tis necessary that it should be observed and explained; and... a reason should be given, for what seems altogether inconceivable, how this new relation can be a deduction from others, which are entirely different from it. ..[V]ice and virtue is not founded merely on the relations of objects, nor is perceived by reason.”

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #7 - Sep 3rd, 2020 at 6:22pm

Maybe he found out Jesus was a noodler and couldn’t handle that he was promoting the ysling

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #8 - Sep 4th, 2020 at 10:12am

Let’s not make too much fun of Jauke. He obviously felt he needed to erase old posts, and that’s frustrating, but I hope he comes back again some day. He was a great contributor to the forums overall, even if it didn’t end well.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #9 - Nov 23rd, 2020 at 7:01pm

Jauke contacted me maybe a month ago over discord. I spoke with him and I guess he still lurks on the forum. He wrote a rather interesting post to me that was very Jauke and I didnt realize how much I missed reading his theories until reading that. Good guy, just finding his way through life the best he can. That’s all any of us can do. If you are reading this Jauke sorry if you wrote another message over discord, I really hardly ever check that. Not even sure if I still have the app actually. If you have instagram maybe post your account? I’m on there much more these days.

Or hey, just make a dramatic entrance back here. Lol. Just start posting like you never left. You should try it, trust me it’s great fun.  Wink

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #10 - Nov 25th, 2020 at 1:29am

I know he is still slinging and enjoying it. To respect his privacy, that's all I will say.

I agree, I miss reading his theories. It was great to see his thoughts on the subject evolve with his experiences.

John R.

IP Logged

a

a

a
Reply #11 - Nov 25th, 2020 at 5:28am

Kick wrote on Sep 1st, 2020 at 12:12pm:
Baleric sling can't really be improved upon

Whats special about the Baleric sling? just looks like a fancy sling to me. Is it better than others in usage?

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #12 - Nov 25th, 2020 at 7:32pm

a wrote on Nov 25th, 2020 at 5:28am:
Kick wrote on Sep 1st, 2020 at 12:12pm:
Baleric sling can't really be improved upon

Whats special about the Baleric sling? just looks like a fancy sling to me. Is it better than others in usage?

Depends who you ask but the answer to that question is no. Lol.  Grin

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #13 - Nov 26th, 2020 at 5:08pm

Sling design is still up in the air, many different opinions and no scientific data. Jury is out. If it functions like a sling it’s good enough for me. But I love my dyneema

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #14 - Nov 27th, 2020 at 9:09am

Mersa wrote on Nov 26th, 2020 at 5:08pm:
Sling design is still up in the air, many different opinions and no scientific data. Jury is out. If it functions like a sling it’s good enough for me. But I love my dyneema

This is a much better answer than mine. The truth is the more adamant a person is that their design or way is the best/only way to hidden slinging truths the more skeptical you should be.

No exaggeration, I can give at least a dozen instances in the primitive weapons communities I've been involved with where a false idea was accepted as sacred and not up for debate not due to scientific proof but because it was either tradition or propagated by a well respect member of that field.

Even scientific testing cannot give us all the answers. What you need is large groups of high level slingers all using their own styles and gear in top level competitions over the course of 20 years or more to aggregate enough good data to see trends. 20 years of that will tell you more than a thousand years of anecdotes and personal feelings.

If you know anything about what MMA did in dispelling hundreds of years of nonsensical martial arts traditions in a very short amount of time THAT is exactly what needs to happen for slinging.

The problem is we aren't a big enough or a centralized enough group to do that just yet.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark)