Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Release-cord Deterioration (Read 2122 times)
Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Re: Release-cord Deterioration
Reply #15 - Sep 1st, 2020 at 3:02pm

Captain_Twine wrote on Aug 30th, 2020 at 12:38pm:
This is what I've done on many of my braided slings:

I. When I get close to the end of the release cord, I snip half of the threads (Turning, for example, a six-strand braid into a three-strand braid.

II. I then loop the cord back around on itself, restoring it to its previous thickness, except that now, the ends terminate in a loop, instead of frayed ends. I then simply continue braiding until one of the loops runs out, and I loop the other two through it to make a basic knot. This had held up fairly well on my slings.

I wonder if this principle is what Jaegoor uses to make the loops on his release cords (with 2-strand twist instead of a flat braid), and then whipping over the top.

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #16 - Sep 1st, 2020 at 5:05pm

Archaic Arms wrote on Sep 1st, 2020 at 2:59pm:
Thanks for the suggestion!
Do you do the 2-strand or 4-strand version?
The 4-strand version looks like it would make for a very functional and aesthetically pleasing release-knot as well.

I've been doing whatever fits. If I end in 4 strand, then 4, if I end in 8, then 8. I will say that the only 2 strand version that I tried actually pulled out on me.

I think the idea for a Matthew Walker know was from JudoP, but I can't remember, I saw it in the Pictures of Slings and Slinging post, somewhere. So, thank him.

John R.

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #17 - Sep 1st, 2020 at 5:12pm

Ich finde das System interessant. Ich mache es anders. Ich habe überlegt wie ich es umsetzen kann. Es wäre sehr schwierig. Aber ich halte eine auswechselbare Schnur am Ende für die beste Lösung. Die Funktion der schall Zunge wird unterschätzt.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #18 - Sep 2nd, 2020 at 10:20am

I like to end my 4-strand round braids the same way bull whips are finished. If a knot can handle the abuse of a whip, it should work on a sling too... but I don’t know how well this works with natural fibers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwi8ZEZS-x0

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #19 - Sep 2nd, 2020 at 4:34pm

Here’s an example of a release cord fall hitch in jute on a sling-in-progress. Once I finish the retention cord, I’ll test it out and report back on how this holds up.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, Kick, Morphy, Rat Man, vetryan15)