Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Release-cord Deterioration (Read 2139 times)
Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Release-cord Deterioration
Aug 28th, 2020 at 11:49pm

I really appreciate slings made of purely natural fibres, as I think it helps to feel more connected with the 'roots' of slinging, however there is one significant flaw that stands in the way of using them frequently... the 'tassel'
Within an hour of slinging, the ends of my release cords had deteriorated to such an extent, that it rendered them useless until repair. They were braided from loose sisal fibre.
This tells me that I must be doing something wrong, as I am sure ancient slingers must have found a 'remedy' to this problem.
I know release knots could be employed, but I want to find a remedy for smooth cords. + historical accounts talk about the "cracking" of slings
Any insights?

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Release-cord Deterioration
Reply #1 - Aug 29th, 2020 at 12:22am

I think you already ansered your question  Wink

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #2 - Aug 29th, 2020 at 1:22am

walter wrote on Aug 29th, 2020 at 12:22am:
I think you already ansered your question  Wink

Perhaps, if it weren't for the fact that strong, thick fibres like sisal make for very uncomfortable release knots. I believe smooth cords to be a lot more versatile, in that one can throw really light or really heavy ammo equally well. I don't think a release knot can provide the same flexibility, all in one sling.

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #3 - Aug 29th, 2020 at 2:31am

I have been doing a wall or Matthew Walker knot at the end of my release cords (but I put a tab at the end usually).  Could you just have an extra long part of the release cord and end it with a knot? So you don't use it for grip, but it terminates the cord. I tried this with my tabs, the tassel bit wears down to a nub eventually, but the knot stays in place.

I remember seeing a video from Luis that he ended his sling with a knot....

Here it is. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5n_N0yyLkQ  Watch @ 7:30

John R.

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Reply #4 - Aug 29th, 2020 at 3:48am

I sometimes mix in some horse hair at the end. This increases durability significantly.

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #5 - Aug 29th, 2020 at 12:21pm

IronGoober wrote on Aug 29th, 2020 at 2:31am:

I do the same thing Luis does for his slings, but I find once the fibre wears down to the knot, it will unravel.
I've recently been wondering whether some form of whipping or a line of snake knots may provide the answer.

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #6 - Aug 29th, 2020 at 12:30pm

Teg wrote on Aug 29th, 2020 at 3:48am:
I sometimes mix in some horse hair at the end. This increases durability significantly.

Very interesting, that certainly seems like a great solution.
I wonder how human or goat hair would fare, or even quills?

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #7 - Aug 29th, 2020 at 1:15pm

Well the sling I got from Luis has polypropylene weaved into the end which makes it longer-lasting. At first I wasn't sure about it but I actually really like the electric blue highlight now Cheesy I think historically they would just keep repairing them. I imagine with a lot of them being made of animal hair or natural resources they would have easy access too, it wouldn't be hard for them to spend an hour or two fixing it up.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #8 - Aug 30th, 2020 at 12:41am

Archaic Arms wrote on Aug 29th, 2020 at 12:21pm:
IronGoober wrote on Aug 29th, 2020 at 2:31am:

I do the same thing Luis does for his slings, but I find once the fibre wears down to the knot, it will unravel.
I've recently been wondering whether some form of whipping or a line of snake knots may provide the answer.

Give a Matthew Walker knot a try. It won't come loose when the ends of the fibers get short, or at least mine haven't.

John R.

IP Logged

Captain_Twine
Descens

Substance is a Word.

Somewhere with crummy rocks
Reply #9 - Aug 30th, 2020 at 12:38pm

This is what I've done on many of my braided slings:

I. When I get close to the end of the release cord, I snip half of the threads (Turning, for example, a six-strand braid into a three-strand braid.

II. I then loop the cord back around on itself, restoring it to its previous thickness, except that now, the ends terminate in a loop, instead of frayed ends. I then simply continue braiding until one of the loops runs out, and I loop the other two through it to make a basic knot. This had held up fairly well on my slings.

“For as this ought, or ought not, expresses some new relation or affirmation, 'tis necessary that it should be observed and explained; and... a reason should be given, for what seems altogether inconceivable, how this new relation can be a deduction from others, which are entirely different from it. ..[V]ice and virtue is not founded merely on the relations of objects, nor is perceived by reason.”

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #10 - Aug 30th, 2020 at 3:16pm

Captain_Twine wrote on Aug 30th, 2020 at 12:38pm:
I. When I get close to the end of the release cord, I snip half of the threads (Turning, for example, a six-strand braid into a three-strand braid.

II. I then loop the cord back around on itself, restoring it to its previous thickness, except that now, the ends terminate in a loop, instead of frayed ends. I then simply continue braiding until one of the loops runs out, and I loop the other two through it to make a basic knot. This had held up fairly well on my slings.

Interesting! I was thinking of backsplicing the braid, this seems much faster and easier. Thanks for sharing!

By the way a drop of superglue on sewing is what I used last time, even this can't survive forever...

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #11 - Aug 30th, 2020 at 6:49pm

Captain_Twine wrote on Aug 30th, 2020 at 12:38pm:
This is what I've done on many of my braided slings:

Picture please. I think I understand what you are doing with the strands, but I don't understand the knot that you end up using...
« Last Edit: Aug 31st, 2020 at 2:12am by IronGoober »  

John R.

IP Logged

Captain_Twine
Descens

Substance is a Word.

Somewhere with crummy rocks
Reply #12 - Aug 31st, 2020 at 4:52pm

Sarosh wrote on Aug 30th, 2020 at 3:16pm:
Interesting! I was thinking of backsplicing the braid, this seems much faster and easier. Thanks for sharing!

By the way a drop of superglue on sewing is what I used last time, even this can't survive forever...

No problem! Thank you; I'm glad I could contribute.

Here's a more step-by-step explanation of what I did:

You start with a braid as normal. (fig. 1)

When you reach the point where you want to begin to end the cord, you snip one half of each grouping of thread, and looping the remaining end into where the snipped end would go, in sequence. (figs. 2-5)

Continue braiding as normal. (fig. 6)

When one of the loops becomes too small to braid (in this case the white), send the largest loop (in this case the red) through it, and pull tight. (fig. 7)

I hope this helps!

Loopsplice_Fig_1.jpg (190 KB | 45 )
Loopsplice_Fig_1.jpg
Loopsplice_Fig_2.jpg (127 KB | 43 )
Loopsplice_Fig_2.jpg
Loopsplice_Fig_3.jpg (130 KB | 23 )
Loopsplice_Fig_3.jpg
Loopsplice_Fig_4.jpg (125 KB | 46 )
Loopsplice_Fig_4.jpg
Loopsplice_Fig_5.jpg (137 KB | 50 )
Loopsplice_Fig_5.jpg
Loopsplice_Fig_6.jpg (121 KB | 47 )
Loopsplice_Fig_6.jpg
Loopsplice_Fig_7.jpg (126 KB | 47 )
Loopsplice_Fig_7.jpg

“For as this ought, or ought not, expresses some new relation or affirmation, 'tis necessary that it should be observed and explained; and... a reason should be given, for what seems altogether inconceivable, how this new relation can be a deduction from others, which are entirely different from it. ..[V]ice and virtue is not founded merely on the relations of objects, nor is perceived by reason.”

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #13 - Aug 31st, 2020 at 7:05pm

Ok, That is what I thought you meant, minus pulling the last cord (red) through. I'm surprised that configuration holds. I've tried similar things with the free ends, but the only way to get it to hold was to use a crochet hook and pull the ends back through the cord several times.

John R.

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #14 - Sep 1st, 2020 at 2:59pm

IronGoober wrote on Aug 30th, 2020 at 12:41am:
Give a Matthew Walker knot a try. It won't come loose when the ends of the fibers get short, or at least mine haven't.

Thanks for the suggestion!
Do you do the 2-strand or 4-strand version?
The 4-strand version looks like it would make for a very functional and aesthetically pleasing release-knot as well.

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Chris, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, Morphy, Kick, vetryan15)