Flying target (Read 1226 times)
IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Flying target
Aug 25th, 2020 at 10:55pm

Here is my idea for an aerial target launcher. It could use just about any size of ball if you make the size of "A" correct. You would just stomp on the arm labeled "C". By making the weight of "A+B" higher than "C", it should fall back into place for another launch after the first one is finished (Ok, not entirely correct, but you get the picture). You could attach a sideways arm onto "C" to allow it to throw past your shoulder and into the same direction as the throw.  "C" would need to be shorter than "B" so that you get maximum velocity of "A" when you stomp down on "C".

"D" could be made longer to hold more balls, and the whole thing could be designed to be modular.

This is the simplest, reloading throwing design I could think of other than one's own arm.

AirTarget.png (11 KB | 32 )
AirTarget.png

John R.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Re: Flying target
Reply #1 - Aug 26th, 2020 at 1:32am

That's really cool. I guess as well if you have a long enough foot peddle it could go quite horizontal as well.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #2 - Aug 26th, 2020 at 12:02pm

I think you'd want to try and get the launch angle to about 45 degrees. I mean to try and build this in the upcoming months.

John R.

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #3 - Aug 26th, 2020 at 12:52pm

instead of throwing by hand you stomp on it?
isn't the point of the device to remove effort and make it more random?

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #4 - Aug 26th, 2020 at 1:24pm

The point of this would be to make it more predicable of a flight. The only thing that would change, for the most part, would be the speed of the launch. For me, using my foot would be less effort than having to think about throwing. We'll see though. Maybe it will be a spectacular failure. I don't think so, but I've been wrong before.

John R.

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #5 - Aug 26th, 2020 at 2:31pm

Connect A and D with rubber bands . Move the pedal C on the opposite side . Now you will step on it and when you slide your foot off the pedal it will launch the ball. Better than stomping but it will probably recoil a lot.

Edit: You can add a trigger so you step on it with force to load and step on the trigger lightly to launch.

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #6 - Aug 26th, 2020 at 2:55pm

I thought about the rubber band, but then I have to reset it after every launch. With the arm, I can stomp, release, stomp, release, etc. and keep doing so until the ball magazine is empty, no resetting required.

We'll see if it works out like I'm thinking.

John R.

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #7 - Aug 27th, 2020 at 5:43am

Ich hätte gerne ein Arc Trap.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #8 - Aug 27th, 2020 at 9:57am

You may have already been planning this, but you could attach a weight at point A.  This would give you two things.  The arm should fall back to the resting position more easily because it's heavier on the A-side.  And you would also have more weight transferring energy to the targets.  So you should get a higher and farther flight.

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #9 - Aug 27th, 2020 at 10:42am

Jaegoor wrote on Aug 27th, 2020 at 5:43am:
Ich hätte gerne ein Arc Trap.

Your post about the ArcTrap was what got me thinking about this. I have been thinking about making an aerial target launcher for years.  I would like an ArcTrap too, but this is a lot cheaper...(and hopefully will work).

joe_meadmaker wrote on Aug 27th, 2020 at 9:57am:
You may have already been planning this, but you could attach a weight at point A. 

Yes, I had thought about it. I agree it may be needed to auto-reset the device. It may help deliver more power to the launch, but it may also rob the arm of some velocity slowing down the launch. I think the arm may need a cross brace to stiffen it up.

John R.

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #10 - Aug 27th, 2020 at 10:43am

Sarosh wrote on Aug 26th, 2020 at 2:31pm:
Connect A and D with rubber bands . Move the pedal C on the opposite side . Now you will step on it and when you slide your foot off the pedal it will launch the ball. Better than stomping but it will probably recoil a lot.

Edit: You can add a trigger so you step on it with force to load and step on the trigger lightly to launch.

I misunderstood what you were saying. Yes, that could work. It would have to be a hell of a band though, very strong in a very short stroke.

John R.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, Chris, Kick, Rat Man, vetryan15)