Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Walking target (Read 1590 times)
Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Walking target
Aug 25th, 2020 at 1:04pm

I've been thinking a walking target would be pretty fun to use with a sling. Seeing as they're made for shooting, I think they should stand up to stones. One problem is maybe the size. I'm seeing a lot of missed shots in my future...

https://www.biltema.fi/vapaa-aika/metsastys/maalitaulut/metallisiluetit-kal-22-l...

What do people think?

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Re: Walking target
Reply #1 - Aug 25th, 2020 at 2:23pm

It wouldn't walk much at my range.
with a sling hitting the bottom would be easier than the top. I cant see how it would differ in reaction from any kind of can or container.
I would buy a gong which is also easier to carry

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #2 - Aug 25th, 2020 at 2:33pm

One thing is that it will last longer. This one is also a lot cheaper than the gongs Cheesy One problem I have is actually standing up a target so one that stands itself would be nice.

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #3 - Aug 25th, 2020 at 3:00pm

Kick wrote on Aug 25th, 2020 at 2:33pm:
One problem I have is actually standing up a target so one that stands itself would be nice.

yes that's a problem. you want something durable , easy to carry , and stand on itself.
I think the ideal design would be something like the picture below but made of metal and a smaller design.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #4 - Aug 25th, 2020 at 3:50pm

That would be ideal. I don't know the exact dimensions of this target (which is very annoying) but I thought I would risk it for the price. I'll find out tomorrow when I pick it up.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #5 - Aug 25th, 2020 at 3:50pm

How about a scaled up version of this?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=huOoqu6O-Yo

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #6 - Aug 25th, 2020 at 3:55pm

That would be awesome  Grin Unless you have another person to throw or roll, moving targets are a real pain to set up.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #7 - Aug 25th, 2020 at 4:00pm

What you need is a target paddle that triggers the duck when you hit it so you don’t have to launch it and run back to the shooting line.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Reply #8 - Aug 25th, 2020 at 4:26pm

Kick wrote on Aug 25th, 2020 at 1:04pm:
What do people think?

That could work quite well.

Google "octahedral radar reflector". That shape would be my choice. It also comes as a ball form for added walking capability. I remember that there was a way to make them foldable as well.

IP Logged

Captain_Twine
Descens

Substance is a Word.

Somewhere with crummy rocks
Reply #9 - Aug 25th, 2020 at 5:12pm

I've thought about using the empty cans of sparkling water that tend to accumulate at my place as targets - My only problem is not having a place to have a backstop. I would use my back fence, but it's too short to catch some of my higher fliers. Having some kind of easy portable target would be cool, but a portable backstop would be awesome. It could be like a really compact net with two telescopic rods, which could then fold up when you're done.

“For as this ought, or ought not, expresses some new relation or affirmation, 'tis necessary that it should be observed and explained; and... a reason should be given, for what seems altogether inconceivable, how this new relation can be a deduction from others, which are entirely different from it. ..[V]ice and virtue is not founded merely on the relations of objects, nor is perceived by reason.”

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #10 - Aug 25th, 2020 at 6:53pm

Yeah those walking targets look fun but having no backstop might make it a little annoying. But I think mixing up targets is a good thing so it’s a plus in my books

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #11 - Aug 25th, 2020 at 7:34pm

I think that target is a cool idea.  But for regular practice, I think it's easier to move the slinger than the target.  I was practicing this way for a while but got away from it.  After every throw I would move to a different location.  Sometimes just a few steps, sometimes several dozen steps.  Keep the mind constantly adjusting.  One thing with the walking target, seeing that feedback from a hit would definitely be satisfying!

The walking duck would be great fun.  But for a moving target, a pendulum is an easier option for me.  It still has similar drawbacks.  It needs materials and a place to set everything up.  As well as requiring a restart after a short amount of time.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #12 - Aug 26th, 2020 at 12:16am

I can imagine a “magazine” of 3-5 ducks where each one is released automatically. You could get several shots in before a reset that way. Maybe put 2-3 duck ramps up, and you have a serious shooting gallery!

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #13 - Aug 27th, 2020 at 3:06pm

I forgot to update. I went out quickly yesterday to try it out. I took 6 stones with me and spent about half an hour out there. I came back with 1 stone and a pristine target.

Yeah...

I missed every shot and lost almost every stone to long grass. I did all the walking with the walking target. I shall not be beaten though! I plan to go out again soon and this time I'll smash the thing. It's interesting shooting against such a small target (because it is significantly smaller than I think all the targets I have slung at before) but I got REALLY close. Strangely I was closest with helicopter which I wasn't expecting. This long grass is killing me though. I don't usually wish for autumn but I am getting real sick of digging around in grass. I think the best place for this target would be a pebble beach.

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #14 - Aug 27th, 2020 at 4:23pm

So what's the size of the target? height and width?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, Kick, Rat Man)