Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
mass, energy, momentum? (Read 4200 times)
KnollSlinger

The Davidson Road KnollSlinger

Chandler, Arizona, USA
Re: mass, energy, momentum?
Reply #15 - Sep 24th, 2020 at 5:42pm

Yes, that would be great.  Or a machine that can track the entire flight of the sling bullet.  Pro baseball has such a machine.  I know, I interviewed with the company in Scottsdale, AZ.  All the teams use it.

I gave my sling the rabbit test.  Head and hind legs remain, minus any connection, and well separated.  That is enough power for hunting.

The Davidson Road KnollSlinger&&Who can beat me?

IP Logged

KnollSlinger

The Davidson Road KnollSlinger

Chandler, Arizona, USA
Reply #16 - Sep 24th, 2020 at 6:51pm

In your link to the table, those ranges appear small, considering my record golf drive on a golf course is 360 yards, and I throw sling much farther than I hit golf balls.

The Davidson Road KnollSlinger&&Who can beat me?

IP Logged

woodssj

That lake isn't going
to fill itself, y'know...

'Round & about, Here and there
Reply #17 - Sep 25th, 2020 at 8:06pm

So, what exactly is the "Rabbit Test?" knowing a bit more about it might be helpful.

Also, I don't doubt there's enough power in a sling for hunting, I just doubt it's the same as a .45ACP.

I wish the machines didn't cost so much, because they would be a great tool for studying the sling. If I can afford it in future, I'm going to try to get a radar chronograph and see what I can do with it to get some good data.

Confused Archaeologists are the best Archaeologists.

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #18 - Sep 25th, 2020 at 11:16pm

woodssj wrote on Sep 25th, 2020 at 8:06pm:
So, what exactly is the "Rabbit Test?" knowing a bit more about it might be helpful.

Also, I don't doubt there's enough power in a sling for hunting, I just doubt it's the same as a .45ACP.

I wish the machines didn't cost so much, because they would be a great tool for studying the sling. If I can afford it in future, I'm going to try to get a radar chronograph and see what I can do with it to get some good data.

The referred to "Rabbit test" was hitting a rabbit with a stone from a sling. Apparently it was done with a very long sling and a variatio n of the piroutte technique.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5c6mf8-RqOI
Best radar chronograph for the money. Timpa said he's used one to measure the speed of an air rifle. I've used it for small stones from a sling with no issues. I think the cheaper version (no smart phone connection) is roughly $300. There are cheaper ones (e.g. Bushnell), but I've seen poor reviews from them.

John R.

IP Logged

woodssj

That lake isn't going
to fill itself, y'know...

'Round & about, Here and there
Reply #19 - Sep 26th, 2020 at 10:23am

That's quite reasonable for a chronograph, honestly. I'll have to add it to my list for next year.

Confused Archaeologists are the best Archaeologists.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, Morphy, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Kick)