Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Leather slinging ammo bags (Read 2724 times)
Tigger32
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Leather slinging ammo bags
Aug 14th, 2020 at 1:49am

So I've been looking for a good ammo pouch to hold my stones and glandes in, I really prefer for one  to be cross body, and be made out of leather.  I see all these paintings and pictures of ancient singers with a very distinct leather bag and they all have a very similar design. where can I find these and do they have a specific name? I even see lindy beige wearing one for his "a few points on slings" videos. Heres some pictoral examples of the bag I'm talking about.

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Re: Leather slinging ammo bags
Reply #1 - Aug 14th, 2020 at 6:32am

I think the Romans called them a marsupium.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #2 - Aug 14th, 2020 at 7:24am

Satchel, shoulder bag, messenger bag, murse... It's basically two panels with a with a flap:)
Maybe bigger towards the bottom?

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #3 - Aug 14th, 2020 at 11:46am

I've been experimenting wearing a Roman tunic while slinging, and found that a good, deep pocket can be made by making a fold in the tunic around the waist. It will fit over a dozen 200g+ stones in it, it's comfortable, and they can't fall out.  With glandes, hundreds could theoretically be stored. Makes me wonder whether a bag is even necessary.

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

Brett
Descens

St Louis
Reply #4 - Aug 14th, 2020 at 12:41pm

M60 Ammo Bag from the Vietnam era.  google it.  Works great.  Very small and can be wrapped around the sling and put in a pocket.

Why are these leather pouches so big?  Could anyone carry such a bag if it were filled with rocks or lead in a useful way?

I find it is much easier to have on the right hip.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #5 - Aug 14th, 2020 at 2:34pm

Shotgun shell pouch works great. It goes on a belt but it fits 12 tennis balls.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #6 - Aug 14th, 2020 at 2:36pm

You can get leather ones too.

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #7 - Aug 14th, 2020 at 4:32pm

A 'dump' bag work really well for me when I'm wearing normal clothing as it folds up nicely on the belt when not in use.
Holds a lot of stones too.

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

Tigger32
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #8 - Aug 14th, 2020 at 6:12pm

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

IP Logged

13North144East
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

13North144East
Reply #9 - Aug 14th, 2020 at 8:30pm

Ancient Chamorros called these bags Balakbak

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #10 - Aug 15th, 2020 at 1:55pm

Also called haversacks. I switched to one instead of a backpack because the back pack wouldn’t let me do the figure-8 without occasionally hitting it.

Leather will always look best but I lean towards cloth ones since when leather gets wet, it’s going to be wet a long time. But nothing looks as good as leather so I guess that’s the price of being fashionable.  Cheesy

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #11 - Aug 15th, 2020 at 2:27pm

Morphy wrote on Aug 15th, 2020 at 1:55pm:
Leather will always look best but I lean towards cloth ones since when leather gets wet, it’s going to be wet a long time. But nothing looks as good as leather so I guess that’s the price of being fashionable. 

I really ummed and ahhed over whether to get the shell bag in cloth or leather but ultimately went for cloth for this reason and to make it easier to sew the velcro strips onto Cheesy

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #12 - Aug 15th, 2020 at 6:31pm

Kick wrote on Aug 15th, 2020 at 2:27pm:
Morphy wrote on Aug 15th, 2020 at 1:55pm:
Leather will always look best but I lean towards cloth ones since when leather gets wet, it’s going to be wet a long time. But nothing looks as good as leather so I guess that’s the price of being fashionable. 

I really ummed and ahhed over whether to get the shell bag in cloth or leather but ultimately went for cloth for this reason and to make it easier to sew the velcro strips onto Cheesy

And yours looks very good so I think you actually got the best of both worlds. Mine is a very basic army drab green cloth haversack. It’s very light, it breathes so it’s not hot against my body in the summer, and of course it dries quickly. After using it I wouldn’t go with leather. That being said, I will always envy those with sexy leather ammo bags because they look so good. Weird how that works.  Grin

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #13 - Aug 17th, 2020 at 1:32pm

I usually buy cheap canvas bolt bags from the hardware store.  You can get one for like two bucks.  They're durable, comfortable, and easy to use.

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #14 - Aug 17th, 2020 at 2:25pm

@everyone

what's the capacity of your bags?
If I remember correct the one I use has capacity for 8-10kg of stones, I haven't filled to the top for a while though Sad
that's around 40-50x200g stones. It's meant for collecting ammo not for wearing while slinging.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Morphy, vetryan15, Kick, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker)