Send Topic Print
2020 Hurricane Season (Read 8089 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
2020 Hurricane Season
Aug 13th, 2020 at 12:54pm

The long range forecast predicts a late Fall and a very active hurricane season due to an active El Nino.  In that we've already been hit with two tropical storms here in New Jersey and a third, Josephine, is possibly on the way this seems like a very reasonable assumption.  When Tropical Depression Eleven becomes Josephine in a day or two she will be the earliest named "J" storm in recorded history.  Though I've never had to bug out from this area due to a hurricane the possibility is always there.  I have my plan in place. 
    In that we'd have to run and hide for probably just a few days my list is simple.
1.  What ever cash I can muster.
2.  A big 50 lb bag of kibble for the dogs.
3.  Some non perishable food that doesn't require preparation like peanut butter, bread, crackers, cereal, canned tuna, trail mix, etc. Also toilet paper.
3.  Fresh water.
4.  Important papers ie. birth certificate, home owners insurance, etc..
5.  The Ball Python can go a long time without eating so I won't worry about bringing food for him.  Just water.  In that he's a tropical beast he requires a lot of heat so I'll stick him in a pillow case and keep him close to my body. 
6.  I imagine that roomy Mike will be bugging out with me.  I think it would be better to take two cars in case one craps out. 
      We'd drive west for a few hours until we were in the Pocono Mountains and hole up there.  That's about it.

Edit:  Almost everyone waits until the last minute to bug out then they get stuck in a massive traffic jam.  If something really big was headed this way I definitely would scram a day or two in front of the stampede.  In that we're about fifty miles inland here it would probably take a Category 4 or 5 to make me run. 
    One more thing to add... I don't know how many of you remember Hurricane Gloria in 1985.  She was a beast of a Category 5 that was supposed to march right up the Delaware Bay.  The weather guys were calling her "The Storm of the Century." I worked for Cable TV then and had to stay or lose my job.  We all went to bed that night wondering if our world would be smashed flat by morning.  We caught a huge break.  When Gloria hit most of her wind was on her seaward side. For all her scary bluster she was basically a dud.  Why mention that?  Because if I was faced with the same scenario now that I am retired I definitely would skedaddle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Gloria
« Last Edit: Aug 17th, 2020 at 1:20pm by Rat Man »  

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Re: 2020 Hurricane Season
Reply #1 - Aug 21st, 2020 at 2:14pm

Atlantic.jpg (129 KB | 28 )
Atlantic.jpg

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #2 - Aug 21st, 2020 at 6:22pm

And they're both supposed to hit the same day.  The hurricane looks to cross Florida and then restrengthen in the Gulf before it smacks into the Florida panhandle and then into Alabama/Georgia. 

Then, two or three day later, the one that hits Texas/Louisiana will show up where I live as more rain. 

Happy happy joy joy.

I need to get a bigger chainsaw before next Tuesday.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #3 - Aug 22nd, 2020 at 3:11pm

This will be only the third time in recorded history we've had two tropical storms or hurricanes in the Gulf at the same time. Sort of typical for 2020. Laura and Marco I believe.  To me Laura seems like the one to watch.  Good luck, Bill.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #4 - Aug 23rd, 2020 at 1:55pm

Both Laura and Marco have started to strengthen and rotate.

Storms.jpg (173 KB | 20 )
Storms.jpg

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #5 - Aug 23rd, 2020 at 1:57pm

The latest projected paths have them both landing in pretty much the same area.  It looks like a very soggy time for east Texas and Louisiana.  I'm picking up a lot of doubt from the Weather Bureau.  I don't think they know what's going to happen.

Paths.jpg (255 KB | 49 )
Paths.jpg

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #6 - Aug 24th, 2020 at 2:50pm

My younger sister Donna who lives in the Florida Panhandle near Pensacola told me this morning that Marco uncoupled due to shear.  The rain went one way and the wind another.  How very fortunate.  Of the two storms Marco wasn't the one that concerned me anyway.  Laura is the one to watch.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #7 - Aug 26th, 2020 at 11:26am

956 mb. and dropping.  Batten down the hatches, Texas!

LauraSm.jpg (101 KB | 31 )
LauraSm.jpg

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #8 - Aug 26th, 2020 at 3:42pm

Holy crap!  Laura jumped to a Category 4!  This will be ugly.

Laura4.jpg (183 KB | 45 )
Laura4.jpg

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #9 - Aug 26th, 2020 at 4:56pm

Stuck at the station for at least 36 hours. Might be here till Monday morning. Luckily it’s supposed to turn. The latest sat photo I saw seemed to suggest it was turning North so hopefully that last the case.
« Last Edit: Aug 26th, 2020 at 6:59pm by Morphy »  

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #10 - Aug 26th, 2020 at 8:06pm

Here’s hoping and praying in you have an uneventful weekend Morphy and your family stays safe while you’re at the station. My in-laws, who live in a 5th wheel, just evacuated Houston.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #11 - Aug 27th, 2020 at 6:42am

Hit the Louisiana Texas border. It's tearing roofs off of buildings. Effects are being felt over 150 miles away.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #12 - Aug 27th, 2020 at 1:13pm

The remains of Laura will be over top of us here in New Jersey tomorrow morning.  This will be the third time already a tropical disturbance has reached us here this season.

LauraSm_001.jpg (109 KB | 36 )
LauraSm_001.jpg

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #13 - Aug 27th, 2020 at 4:56pm

Good luck everyone,We might be getting rain from this up in Maine this weekend

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #14 - Aug 29th, 2020 at 1:40pm

The remains of Laura are hitting Jersey today.  The rain has been very heavy at times.  For the first time I know of my little lake overflowed by just a bit.  Not near enough to pose a threat to anything, thankfully.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar)