2020 Hurricane Season (Read 8084 times)
Oxnate
Webmaster

Crus de agnus Dei con
quilon menthae.

Minnesota
Re: 2020 Hurricane Season
Reply #15 - Aug 30th, 2020 at 1:22pm

I saw Laura following Marco and suddenly I had this image of two kids in a pool yelling, "Marco!"  "Laura!"

Sorry, but it's a pet peeve of mine:  'Yea' isn't the word you want.  It's 'yeah'.  'Yea' is an anachronistic word you see in the King James bible. "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of Spellcheck, I shall fear no misspellings for thou art with me.  Thy dictionary and thy thesaurus, they comfort me.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #16 - Aug 31st, 2020 at 12:42pm

We got several inches of rain from Marco but it was spread out over 72 hours.  And it wasn't particularly hard rain.  Just steady. 

Morphy, you OK?

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #17 - Aug 31st, 2020 at 4:11pm

Other than a few trees knocked down all of this tropical activity has been a good thing here in New Jersey.  Between Fay's five inches of rain, Isaias's four, and Laura's six my little lake is nice and full.  We've caught up from our snowless Winter. 
   Of course we've just entered the peak of the season so by its end I might be singing a different tune.
   In case anyone doesn't have one here's a link to some decent Atlantic satellite loops.
https://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/trop-atl.html

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #18 - Sep 6th, 2020 at 1:18pm

I like to make long range predictions.  If you look to the far right of this loop you'll see a big wave that is just leaving the coast of Africa now.  It's already rotating.  This is one that I will watch.

https://cdn.star.nesdis.noaa.gov//GOES16/ABI/SECTOR/TAW/GEOCOLOR/GOES16-TAW-GEOC
OLOR-900x540.gif

Edit:  There are now two storms with good rotation in the Atlantic.  I bet we'll be using the Greek alphabet again this year.
« Last Edit: Sep 7th, 2020 at 2:17pm by Rat Man »  

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #19 - Sep 11th, 2020 at 3:57pm

LOL

AtlanticSm.jpg (86 KB | 67 )
AtlanticSm.jpg

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #20 - Sep 13th, 2020 at 2:30pm

You'll rarely see the Atlantic more active than this.  IMO TD 20 is the one to watch.  It's coming in farther south than the others.  That makes it less susceptible to wind shear that will tear it up or turn it north.  Plus it's over warmer water. And it's huge.

Atlantic_001.jpg (102 KB | 44 )
Atlantic_001.jpg

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #21 - Sep 13th, 2020 at 2:31pm

Sat.jpg (153 KB | 62 )
Sat.jpg

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #22 - Sep 14th, 2020 at 6:43pm

I'm already getting breezy weather from Sally. 

Which is supposed to hit me twice.  Once as it comes ashore and then two days later again as it fish hooks back across me.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #23 - Sep 14th, 2020 at 6:55pm

My sister Donna lives in Navarre near Pensacola on the Florida Panhandle.  Needless to say she's concerned at the moment.  Sally was supposed to hit farther west but she's almost stalled right under Pensacola. 
    Good luck, Bill.  The slow movers like this suck.

Sally.jpg (158 KB | 60 )
Sally.jpg

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #24 - Sep 15th, 2020 at 11:16am

The outer bands are about 50 miles (100ish Km)or so south of me and it looks like it's going to track straight over me.

Already windy, but that isn't supposed to increase much more, bands of showers and some strong storms today, tonight and then rain and wind all day Wednesday.  With some more bands following on Thursday.  Predicted 4 to 8 inches of rain (10 cm to 20 cm) on Wednesday.  Maybe more if a strong storm hits.

I'm more worried about a spin off tornado.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #25 - Sep 15th, 2020 at 1:25pm

Sally has almost stalled.  She's moving at just 2 mph.  This makes her  much more dangerous.  Anything can happen.  The longer she's at sea the more she can strengthen.  She can take just about any path now too.  The worst part will be the rain in that she's moving so slowly.  Stay on your toes, Bill.

Sally_001.jpg (221 KB | 45 )
Sally_001.jpg

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #26 - Sep 16th, 2020 at 6:55am

It's early morning here.  Sally is a direct hit on my sister Donna near Pensacola.  She's getting the eye wall now.  I'm waiting to hear from her.  I imagine she is busy at the moment.

Landfall.jpg (71 KB | 66 )
Landfall.jpg

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #27 - Sep 16th, 2020 at 11:38am

Good news for me is that Sally started tracking eastward as soon as it came ashore.  None of the northwestern track as predicted.  I'm getting wind and rain but not as bad as predicted. 

Good news is the ground won't get saturated as quickly, so hopefully not as many trees will be down.  Bad news is same dry soil means less moisture in those same trees, so more limbs down from the winds.

Either way, I expect to be driving my chainsaw as soon as it passes. 

And due to the rotation, normally anyone east of the eye gets more rain and winds than the people at the spot where the eye comes ashore.  The actual eye came ashore just west of Pensacola in Gulf Shores at the mouth of Mobile Bay, so Pensacola is getting really hammered.  So I hope your sister is OK.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #28 - Sep 16th, 2020 at 1:31pm

Glad your doing OK, Bill.  I just got off the phone with my sister.  She's also OK though they got 24" of rain already.  She's lived in Florida since the 80s.  Most of that time she lived in the Keys on Islamorada.  In 2005 when we had so many hurricanes we had to use the Greek alphabet to name them she'd had enough and moved to Navarre on the Panhandle.  Because of her experiences in the Keys she bought her new house with hurricanes in mind.  It's a brick house on fairly high ground and it came with built in hurricane shutters.  So even though they got a direct hit, for a storm like this she was OK.  She said they were never inside the eye though the eye wall did touch them a couple of times.  She lost power for a while but it's back on now.  They lost at least one tree (she expects there are more down but they'll check that out later when things calm down) and there's a foot of water in their yard.  It could have been much worse.
    We'll get the dregs of Sally here in New Jersey in a couple of days.  This will be the fourth time this season a tropical storm has hit us.  And the season is still young.  My lake has never been this full this time of year before.  It looks great. 

Edit: Donna has a lot of trees on her property.  They pretty much got decimated.  Some were knocked down, some are now diagonal.  Very few are still straight upright.  Still, it could have been much worse.  At least she'll have plenty of firewood for the next few years.
« Last Edit: Sep 17th, 2020 at 2:40pm by Rat Man »  

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #29 - Sep 17th, 2020 at 10:51am

Season is almost over, except that doesn't mean the hurricanes are over.

NOAA's seasons are sort of weird as far as dates, their tornado season doesn't match up to when the southeast gets their worst tornadoes.  Their tornado season fits the Plains way better than down here.  Our deadliest tornadoes happen before or after the tornado season.

Same with the dates for the hurricane season, dates seem sort of arbitrary.  They start too late and end too soon.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, Chris)