Send Topic Print
Q about nettle plants (Read 1074 times)
vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Q about nettle plants
Aug 10th, 2020 at 7:44pm

We have this plant called Marsh hedge nettle,  its related to stinging nettle. I have read up and it has some medicinal properties. But i was curious if anyone has used it to possibly make cordage out of it. I have a ton of it, but was curious if it hsd some of the properties of its cousin stinging nettle

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Q about nettle plants
Reply #1 - Aug 10th, 2020 at 7:55pm

I have decided to grow nettles instead of dogbane for bow strings. If I found this marsh hedge nettle, i know i would give it a try. you might be the first to know the strength of its fiber.

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #2 - Aug 10th, 2020 at 9:25pm

There may yet be a many good fiber bearing plants out there. Can’t hurt to try. Do you have much experience making primitive cordage from plants?

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #3 - Aug 11th, 2020 at 4:12am

I dont have any experience making cordage.  I figured i would ask if anyone knew about it. Its growing everywhere on my property.  I will probably wait till September and see if it grows before i actually attempt to work with it. I got plenty so i probably wont run out.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #4 - Aug 11th, 2020 at 1:50pm

I've been doing a lot of work with nettles (Just today I was processing some of the 114 nettles I collected last week. Still a hell of a lot of them to go Cheesy) and found these two videos really informative and useful. If they're anything like stinging nettles, they should make for a good sling Cheesy

https://vimeo.com/246626070

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTGLUDEEWko

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #5 - Sep 11th, 2020 at 12:18pm

I did more research, the plant is actually part of the woundwort family. It has no relation to any nettle but has aton of medicinal uses. So i wont be using it for cordage unfortunately

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #6 - Sep 12th, 2020 at 10:58am

Excellent videos, Kick.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #7 - Sep 12th, 2020 at 2:55pm

I've found them to be the best around for nettle processing.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #8 - Sep 15th, 2020 at 6:33am

It's also edible if cooked right. I had nettle cheese in Ireland and it was quite good.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, Chris, Curious Aardvark)