Send Topic Print
Super smooth Vs Rough (Read 514 times)
Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Super smooth Vs Rough
Aug 9th, 2020 at 6:34pm

Now as I understand, golf balls have dimples to help improve distances and reduce turbulence. I may be wrong but I think it requires spin to increase distance over a smooth ball but the stability against turbulence I’m not so sure.

So where my question appeared was recently I was throwing stones at the ocean, there was lots of wind straight into my face so I was slinging against the wind. I found that the smooth stones I threw were not as far as the slightly rough stones. The shapes were very similar as were weights(just as an estimate) but the surface of the stones were different.i was getting the smooth stones closer to the water and the rough ones from the shore.

So really I want to know if there’s anyone that understands the dynamics involved a little better than me, is it because the stones are relatively light for the surface area , Magnus effect, lift? Or would this also happen with lead glandes??

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Oxnate
Webmaster

Crus de agnus Dei con
quilon menthae.

Minnesota
Re: Super smooth Vs Rough
Reply #1 - Aug 9th, 2020 at 8:52pm

Mersa wrote on Aug 9th, 2020 at 6:34pm:
Now as I understand, golf balls have dimples to help improve distances and reduce turbulence. I may be wrong but I think it requires spin to increase distance over a smooth ball but the stability against turbulence I’m not so sure.

So where my question appeared was recently I was throwing stones at the ocean, there was lots of wind straight into my face so I was slinging against the wind. I found that the smooth stones I threw were not as far as the slightly rough stones. The shapes were very similar as were weights(just as an estimate) but the surface of the stones were different.i was getting the smooth stones closer to the water and the rough ones from the shore.

So really I want to know if there’s anyone that understands the dynamics involved a little better than me, is it because the stones are relatively light for the surface area , Magnus effect, lift? Or would this also happen with lead glandes??

You're wrong.   Grin   Mythbusters tested this myth with dimpled cars (without spinning them) and found the car with dimples was more fuel efficient.

Spin in rocks, golfballs, and baseballs creates drag and lift.  This can turn a thrown object (i.e. curveball or slice) or help you throw farther if orientated correctly (backspin).  I don't know of any experiments confirming this, but the laces on a baseball are supposed to help with that so golfball dimples and rough stones likely have the same effect.

My first guess would be that the rocks that are travelling further are likely slightly more dense than the other rocks.  You might not be able to tell the difference in your hand.

One way or another, you're imparting more force to one kind of rock.

Sorry, but it's a pet peeve of mine:  'Yea' isn't the word you want.  It's 'yeah'.  'Yea' is an anachronistic word you see in the King James bible. "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of Spellcheck, I shall fear no misspellings for thou art with me.  Thy dictionary and thy thesaurus, they comfort me.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Re: Super smooth Vs Rough
Reply #2 - Aug 9th, 2020 at 10:00pm

Interesting Huh . So potentially it is better to have a rough surface over a polish?? Keep up the discussion I’m intrigued

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Kick, Chris, vetryan15, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark)