- (Read 5182 times)
Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Re: Sling hand grip trigger
Reply #15 - Aug 8th, 2020 at 10:37am

Archaic Arms wrote on Aug 8th, 2020 at 12:06am:
It does make me wonder.
I opt for the full hand grip instead of just thumb and index, and if the release cord is thick enough, I don't think I can actually throw hard enough to make it slip.
For example, I threw this 590g stone exactly 50m today (I measured the distance accurately with a string), using my 15" Balearic sling.
Video here: https://youtu.be/0Qpz8_gXCaA
(slightly better quality hopefully coming soon)

Didn't experience any slippages, so I think it mostly comes down to the release design and how one grips it.

The stone after retrieval:

I’ve slung stones like that with a 36 inch sling but never with such a short one. That is insane.  Grin

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

-
Reply #16 - Aug 8th, 2020 at 12:54pm

-
« Last Edit: Aug 15th, 2020 at 4:34am by AncientCraftwork »  

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

-
Reply #17 - Aug 9th, 2020 at 4:16am

« Last Edit: Aug 15th, 2020 at 4:33am by AncientCraftwork »  

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #18 - Aug 9th, 2020 at 5:22am

« Last Edit: Aug 15th, 2020 at 4:33am by AncientCraftwork »  

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

-
Reply #19 - Aug 9th, 2020 at 6:06am

-
« Last Edit: Aug 15th, 2020 at 4:30am by AncientCraftwork »  

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #20 - Aug 9th, 2020 at 6:22pm

I’ll have to read that thread when I get time. Looks like there’s a few great designs on the first page but I need more time to take it all in .

I’m going to have to get that 200m confirmation and make a new sling, i really want to try some different designs even just to try

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #21 - Aug 10th, 2020 at 12:50am

Morphy wrote on Aug 8th, 2020 at 10:37am:
I’ve slung stones like that with a 36 inch sling but never with such a short one. That is insane. 

It's certainly not something I would recommend doing all day... At least without a lot of conditioning first.
I'm now curious to see how much I could increase range with a longer sling.

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #22 - Aug 10th, 2020 at 2:24pm

AncientCraftwork wrote on Aug 8th, 2020 at 4:25am:
Your sling reminds me of an Assyrian sling. They loved short slings and huge stones like that. On old images of Assyrian slingers you can also see them grip their slings with their full fist and I assume their release cords trailing out a long way below. On other old images sometimes we see very short slings like that. Some slingers say the short length is a false representation, I think the length is very realistic and possible, as you are proofing with your videos.

That had occurred to me earlier, thanks for reminding me of that image. Their sling length looks similar in proportion to mine, and yes, I agree that the length is still practical for warfare. The smaller length also means that slingers need less room to operate, and thus more slingers could be squeezed into one area if need be. Quite curious.

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #23 - Aug 10th, 2020 at 2:25pm

AncientCraftwork wrote on Aug 8th, 2020 at 6:51am:
Not surpising considering the stones they used:

(sling here is a modern repro, stones are Assyrian sling stones)

To sling these huge stones effeciently, a simple index-thumb pinch is no longer sufficient

Those are some great, consistent looking stones, I would love to know their weight.

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

MitchInTheGlatrix
Tiro

A Philistine and an Israelite
walk into a pub...

Near Fulcrum of the Simulacrum
Reply #24 - Aug 13th, 2020 at 12:18am

The one I put in 'Goliath' was, I believe, 4.8oz and just about the size of a closed fist.  It's hard to work out the exact g forces involved because of the variable arcuate dynamics, but that stone's relative weight at moment of release was prodigious!  I worked a fairly close approximation once with a 2.5oz ball bearing in the star pocket, at 32lbs with the 49 inch distance rig.

Partnering with the right archery release manufacturer would produce an awesome product.  I use a Scott Archery Caliper Grip release with my bow, that employs a rolling sear for the crispiest launch ever.  Like breaking mini candy canes with every shot.  I'm certain that a release trigger sling setup made by them would ROCK.

Scott_Release.jpg (25 KB | 24 )
Scott_Release.jpg

"The nation that separates it's scholars from it's warriors, will have it's thinking done by cowards and it's fighting done by fools." - Thucydides

IP Logged

Oxnate
Webmaster

Crus de agnus Dei con
quilon menthae.

Minnesota
Re: -
Reply #25 - Aug 15th, 2020 at 11:34pm

No!  Please don't delete your posts!  This makes things so confusing.

Sorry, but it's a pet peeve of mine:  'Yea' isn't the word you want.  It's 'yeah'.  'Yea' is an anachronistic word you see in the King James bible. "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of Spellcheck, I shall fear no misspellings for thou art with me.  Thy dictionary and thy thesaurus, they comfort me.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #26 - Aug 16th, 2020 at 5:36am

Oxnate wrote on Aug 15th, 2020 at 11:34pm:
No!  Please don't delete your posts!  This makes things so confusing.

Thats really messed up how he did that. Makes one think where he head is at, but that was so f@!#ed up on his part. He literally messed up this forum,  as of all tne forums i have belongec to, i have never seen this happen ever.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #27 - Aug 16th, 2020 at 7:24am

In Jaukes defense I dont think he meant it maliciously. I’m not sure the motivation behind it but there’s a good chance he didn’t realize how badly it would affect the threads involved.

@GlitchinTheMatrix- I’ve said for a long time one of the reasons I’m a fan of the sling is there seems to be little that big companies can do to “industrialize” it therefore little that can be done to make it a huge business.

But looking at the potential of the trigger release and the fact you can get a full hand grip with a lightning quick release I guess I was wrong. This definitely seems like it would be a big benefit.

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #28 - Aug 16th, 2020 at 8:41am

Quote:
No longer partaking in online discussions, but still slinging in the real world.
Deleted a lot of my big posts because I no longer find myself in those opinions and I don't want to spread confusement / misinformation to new slingers

It's his choice , he didn't mess the forum , he messed his posts for his reasons.
It would be better to just edit in a warning instead of deleting every post though.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #29 - Aug 16th, 2020 at 10:13am

If Jauke wants to delete all of his contributions to the forum then that is his choice much as it is my choice to think that it's a really unnecessary dick move.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Rat Man, Kick, vetryan15, Morphy, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark)