Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
The most archaic of the archaic.....THE STICK! (Read 7591 times)
Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Re: The most archaic of the archaic.....THE STICK!
Reply #30 - Sep 11th, 2020 at 12:36pm

The problem with carrying a cane is you have to be old and actually need it. 

Which usually means you need it for balance and really can't use it as a weapon.

And if you're young and healthy, you draw some rather suspicious looks from law enforcement who know that a cane makes a dandy weapon.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #31 - Sep 23rd, 2020 at 6:23am

It doesn’t matter if a cane can be used as a weapon as long as it could plausibly have another purpose.  A cane designed for stability is questionable for someone young and stable on their feet (unless you’re this guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWNQTqMkezc ) , but there are other “sticks” you could carry without looking suspicious. Police officers I’ve talked to have recommended carrying a large flashlight because it has a non-weapon use no matter who you are.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #32 - Sep 23rd, 2020 at 4:47pm

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #33 - Sep 23rd, 2020 at 7:35pm

I almost bought a combat umbrella back when I had Kali and Odin was walking a hundred miles a week.  Kali forced me to walk no matter the weather. Such an umbrella would have been a good idea then.  I still walk my dogs but the new batch have a fenced in back yard and I'm older so I walk a fraction as far as I used to. 
    The stick might be the first weapon ever used by man or man's ancestors.  It worked well then and it works just as well now.  I wouldn't consider walking my dogs without a good, stout "walking stick." It is my peacemaker when stray dogs challenge us.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #34 - Sep 24th, 2020 at 12:51am

I designed my monkeys fist lanyard after an incident walking my dog several years ago. Three strays started harassing my dog, and I really wished I’d had something better than my foot to fend them off.  The monkeys fist (see Timpa’s videos) extends to over four feet long (strangely that feature was never demonstrated by Timpa), but it is small and light enough to take jogging.  I’ve seen runners carry real sticks... it’s just awkward.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #35 - Sep 27th, 2020 at 3:45pm

Agreed.  A stick would be prohibitively cumbersome to run with.  There's one thing I learned from trial and error.  The sling is a terrible anti stray dog weapon.  A walking stick is far superior.  Why?
    Most challenges by strays end up being nothing.  If violence does occur it's usually a short, harmless flash fight.  With a stick you can match the level of aggression.  A sling has only one setting: injure of kill. 
    The biggest reason is that dogs don't see the sling as a threat.  You can rotate a loaded sling around your head all you want.  Dogs don't react to it.  They don't know what it is.  Raise a good stout stick over your head and 99% of the time the dog(s) will back down.  Only three times have I ever had to resort to actually bashing an attacking dog. 
    Though I don't walk as far as I used to I still dog walk every day and wouldn't be without my peacemaker.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #36 - Sep 27th, 2020 at 11:04pm

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Sep 23rd, 2020 at 6:23am:
It doesn’t matter if a cane can be used as a weapon as long as it could plausibly have another purpose.  A cane designed for stability is questionable for someone young and stable on their feet (unless you’re this guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWNQTqMkezc ) , but there are other “sticks” you could carry without looking suspicious. Police officers I’ve talked to have recommended carrying a large flashlight because it has a non-weapon use no matter who you are. 

When I was an MP we carried wooden night sticks but they were breakable.  We much preferred a Kel-lite flashlight for defense.   They are big, heavy, and indestructible.
https://kellite.com/

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #37 - Sep 28th, 2020 at 9:22am

I actually have a MP truncheon but it's a Czech one and made of some kind of rubber so quite heavy and a bit flexible. It has a reinforced plastic tip and makes for a very painful hit. It's a shame it would be absolutely illegal for me to carry it around. Finland is a very safe country anyway but if it was more Wild West over here I would take that.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #38 - Sep 29th, 2020 at 6:42am

It seems every culture has a form of protection/martial art based on a stick. The Irish have bataireacht for the shillelagh, developed when the English declared that they could not carry a weapon.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #39 - Oct 6th, 2020 at 3:18pm

There's a Folk Song about shillelaghs and for the life of me I can't remember the name of it.  The gist of the song is that a young man and his cousin are walking along minding their own business.  It might be Christmas or the cousin's birthday or both.    They pass by a recruiting sergeant and a drummer boy.  The sergeant  starts giving them a hard time about being slackers and it ends up in a fight with the sergeant and drummer boy using rusty old sabers and the young man and his cousin using shillelaghs.  The sergeant and drummer boy get the crap beat out of them  and that's how the song ends.  Anyone know what I'm talking about?

IP Logged

a

a

a
Reply #40 - Oct 30th, 2020 at 7:18am

Here's a stick, not a very finesse weapon, it's designed to end a fight in one hit.

stick.jpg (10 KB | 23 )
stick.jpg

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #41 - Oct 30th, 2020 at 12:47pm

Ouch. That's a big stick.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

a

a

a
Reply #42 - Oct 30th, 2020 at 6:11pm

Here is another stick. This one is actually a weapon of peace for breaking up fights. The hook shape is to capture other weapons. Then it has protrusions designed to permanently cripple peoples hands if they don't drop the captured weapon. Difficult and heavy to use, but not to be messed with.

weapon_of_peace.jpg (26 KB | 37 )
weapon_of_peace.jpg

IP Logged

TOMBELAINE
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

france
Reply #43 - Oct 31st, 2020 at 6:55am

Good !
Just two questions because they are heavy and decorated.
Are these sticks for ceremony or prestige ? Or for warfare ?
Very impressive sticks.

IP Logged

a

a

a
Reply #44 - Oct 31st, 2020 at 7:35pm

TOMBELAINE wrote on Oct 31st, 2020 at 6:55am:
Just two questions because they are heavy and decorated.
Are these sticks for ceremony or prestige ? Or for warfare ?

All Polynesian weapons are heavily decorated.

They're not ceremonial, they're supposed to be replicas of war weapons. The designs are nothing special. They could absolutely be used for fighting, they're hard, very heavy wood.

The curved one is just surface design, but the woods good. The other is better carving.

I'd feel confident with either of them against a machete.

Neither is old, but they're intimidating and dangerous weapons.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, Bill Skinner, David Morningstar)