Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
The most archaic of the archaic.....THE STICK! (Read 7589 times)
Waxwing_Sling
Tiro

Progress, not perfection.

Central Minnesota, USA
The most archaic of the archaic.....THE STICK!
Aug 6th, 2020 at 4:24pm

I've recently taken an interest in stick fighting. One very good reason for this is because it's CHEAP (find stick, cut stick to size, swing it around). But also because there appears to be a vast number of martial traditions that employ the humble stick, from Filipino martial arts to Western singlestick and cane fighting. Most of them appear to have had origins in sword fighting of one form or another, which then evolved into a stick when carrying a sword was no longer practical or outright illegal.

Anyway, I came across an interesting book on the topic, The Art and Science of Sticking Fighting by Joe Varady. It appears to be a good book for self-training and exploring a weapon-based art during the COVID pandemic (I know there are varying opinions on this, but I for one will not be entering a gym anytime in the near future). The writer's "style" of stick fighting, if you must/ want to call it that, appears to very much be his own method, drawing on eastern and western traditions. As a former karate guy, I find it rather refreshing to study this kind of stuff without adherence to a specific tradition or style.

I just thought I would post this little story here and see if it sparks any discussion on the topic. I'm especially interested to hear if anyone has experience with the stick-fighting arts.

May you be safe, be happy, be healthy, and live with ease.

IP Logged

ghost0311-8541

Slinging Rocks!

Florida
Re: The most archaic of the archaic.....THE STICK!
Reply #1 - Aug 6th, 2020 at 9:24pm

Check out Kali center videos.

IP Logged

Waxwing_Sling
Tiro

Central Minnesota, USA
Reply #2 - Aug 7th, 2020 at 11:43am

ghost0311-8541 wrote on Aug 6th, 2020 at 9:24pm:
Check out Kali center videos.

Yes, I've seen his stuff. He has a lot of content there.

IP Logged

Waxwing_Sling
Tiro

Central Minnesota, USA
Reply #3 - Aug 7th, 2020 at 3:36pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZAqwBh2PK0&feature=youtu.be

I thought this to be a very interesting video on the cane fighting method from France. At first glance the techniques seem very awkward, with the straight arm and cane. I imagine it's one of those things that makes more sense as you develop some skill with it.

Or...

It's just one of those style things that makes no sense. Tongue

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #4 - Aug 8th, 2020 at 11:10pm

One of my obsessions is finding an oak sapling that’s just the right size for a proper traditional oak shillelagh (NOT blackthorn!) with the root ball as the knob.

I still haven’t found a baby oak I’m willing to kill for a cool stick.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #5 - Aug 9th, 2020 at 5:55am

Waxwing_Sling wrote on Aug 7th, 2020 at 3:36pm:

are they sword substitutes? I feel like these light sticks would be useful only for head strikes. quarterstaff, club or something heavier would cause more serious damage to other body parts as well.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6 - Aug 9th, 2020 at 12:36pm

That looks like a form of small sword fighting, just with sticks. 

I think if you took some form of saber or HEMA fighting, most of the moves would transfer to stick fighting, although I would want a slightly heavier stick for more damage from the impact. 

If I hit someone with a stick, the charges will be assault with a deadly weapon, whether it's a skinny stick or a thick stick.  So, I might as well use a thicker stick and be the person who has to hire a lawyer to avoid jail. 

Instead of hitting them with a skinny stick and ending up looking like a lollipop with a stick jammed up my butt.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #7 - Aug 9th, 2020 at 12:58pm

First weapon out in the wild I'd make if I was alone would be a long, pointy stick

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #8 - Aug 9th, 2020 at 1:18pm

One of my favourite YouTubers recently did a video on making a stick. You should all check out his videos by the way, he really makes great stuff.

https://youtu.be/Sodeng1U9Mg

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #9 - Aug 9th, 2020 at 5:54pm

Still need to make a decent hunting boomerang, feel like it’s very underrated small game hunting tool.

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #10 - Aug 9th, 2020 at 7:32pm

Kick wrote on Aug 9th, 2020 at 1:18pm:
One of my favourite YouTubers recently did a video on making a stick. You should all check out his videos by the way, he really makes great stuff.

https://youtu.be/Sodeng1U9Mg

I just watched some bits and pieces of his videos. Quite calming and great to watch.

John R.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #11 - Aug 9th, 2020 at 10:00pm

One of our old school members went big into throwing sticks or Kylies. They are truly an underrated weapon. A good throwing stick is far easier to kill small game with than a sling. Also quite a beautiful work of craftsmanship if made right.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #12 - Aug 9th, 2020 at 10:04pm

Indigenous Australians make a very good case for throwing sticks, boomerangs and alike, they’re able to take out animals like kangaroos with neck breaking throws. Not just a small game weapon in trained hands

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #13 - Aug 10th, 2020 at 3:21am

IronGoober wrote on Aug 9th, 2020 at 7:32pm:
I just watched some bits and pieces of his videos. Quite calming and great to watch.

Considering he is just one guy that does all the filming and editing himself, I truly believe he's one of the best YouTubers currently for sheer quality. It's a bonus that I find his content interesting as well Cheesy He was really into making bows and traditional archery, but, due to injury, he's had to stop. Those older videos are really informative all the same.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #14 - Aug 10th, 2020 at 8:31am

There is also cane fighting Some of the damage you can do to the guy with the crook is devastating, and painful.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus)