Technique Critique (Read 4007 times)
Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Technique Critique
Aug 5th, 2020 at 7:42pm

https://youtu.be/uoG8aOQaI7M

As the majority of you have a lot more slinging experience than I do, I am looking for some constructive criticism to help me refine my technique.
Shabby footwork and over twisting on the follow through, are currently the ones that stand out to me most.

Using my most recent 15" (from loop to middle) Balearic sling.

Also, feel free to post your own videos here, as I think a dedicated thread for this could help quite a lot of us improve.
« Last Edit: Aug 5th, 2020 at 11:57pm by Archaic Arms »  

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Re: Technique Critique
Reply #1 - Aug 5th, 2020 at 8:16pm

Nice , nothing stands out as horrible. It’s harder for me to read the timing of short slings like yours but looks like your getting reasonable power so I’d just keep practicing. Perhaps a slightly longer sling will help with power but only if you’re into it.

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #2 - Aug 5th, 2020 at 8:37pm

Over all it looks really good. I agree with Mersa that maybe trying a longer sling will help. Especially considering a super short sling of that length is not optimized for target or distance slinging.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #3 - Aug 5th, 2020 at 11:09pm

That's looks really good! Better than my Balearic style which I still don't feel comfortable with. How accurate do you feel you are?/Do you feel you're throwing as far as you can? (Which is important to you distance or accuracy?) Your technique looks good, but if it's not getting the results you want then it doesn't matter how good it looks Cheesy

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #4 - Aug 5th, 2020 at 11:21pm

First thought that came into my head is a longer sling. Your form is really good. Great transfer of power from motion of your shoulders and hips. Elbow comes through first, and your pull-through is really long, so you have a long power stroke. The same force applied over a longer distance = more work, i.e. more energy put into the shot.

The only thing I see is that your arm doesn't get full extension at the end. Your follow through is great though, certainly not too much in my opinion.  I think the lack of full extension might be out of necessity because of the fast period of using a short sling. The period (in terms of a pendulum) is longer using a longer sling so that could help you get more extension and more power into the shot.

I'm very impressed you can get that much power from such a short sling. Kudos.

John R.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #5 - Aug 6th, 2020 at 2:18am

-
« Last Edit: Aug 15th, 2020 at 4:41am by AncientCraftwork »  

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #6 - Aug 6th, 2020 at 3:50am

May as well post a clip, what you think, am I doing it right.

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #7 - Aug 6th, 2020 at 4:39am

I would say you're leading with your shoulder too much. Again, it's my biggest problem so I always notice. Hip movement is crucial for efficient power transfer. But anyway, I already know you're a great slinger and pretty much certainly better than me Mersa Cheesy

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #8 - Aug 6th, 2020 at 4:40am

If the rain holds off I'm going to go out today and get some footage of me slinging, no coat on, side view so I can get some tips too. In most of my videos on YouTube it's not a clear view of my technique.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #9 - Aug 6th, 2020 at 10:28am

Maybe we need a voluntary critiques section?

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #10 - Aug 6th, 2020 at 10:29am

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Aug 6th, 2020 at 10:28am:
Maybe we need a voluntary critiques section?

Is this not it?

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #11 - Aug 6th, 2020 at 10:46am

Mersa, you have a nice relaxed form that is good for accuracy. But, in  my opinion, if you are looking for more power I think your elbow leads a bit early. If you can throw your left arm out and back (like a baseball pitcher) to stretch the chest, the right upper arm should be be parallel with the shoulders while your torso rotates during the beginning of the pull, This allows the arm to do more work at the end of the throw. The leading of your elbow is good, but just too soon. (Disclaimer: This is just my opinion after looking at my own form to try and correct it and seeing what baseball pitchers do as well as and Luis and Sarosh).

The goal is to lengthen the power stroke to apply force to the projectile (acceleration) for as long as possible. This is what allows baseball pitchers to get to 100 mph fastballs, they have a really long power stroke. You want the sling to go through as much path-length as possible with maximum force along the entire path.

John R.

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #12 - Aug 6th, 2020 at 2:07pm

Morphy wrote on Aug 5th, 2020 at 8:37pm:
Especially considering a super short sling of that length is not optimized for target or distance slinging.

This is the shortest of my slings which is from the thumb to elbow, using the Balearic-type measurement (loop to beginning of pouch). I wouldn't go any shorter than this, but I really like the feel of shorter slings. I'm satisfied with the power I can get from this one, so I just need to find what length is most accurate for me.

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

-
Reply #13 - Aug 6th, 2020 at 2:09pm

-
« Last Edit: Aug 15th, 2020 at 4:37am by AncientCraftwork »  

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #14 - Aug 6th, 2020 at 2:18pm

Kick wrote on Aug 5th, 2020 at 11:09pm:
How accurate do you feel you are?/Do you feel you're throwing as far as you can? (Which is important to you distance or accuracy?)

I'm still adjusting to this length, but I think with practice I don't think it should be any less accurate than my 18" one, for example. I try to stay relaxed while maintaining full power throws, but I'm also trying to throw as accurately as I can, so you could say that both accuracy and power are important to me.

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Morphy, Rat Man, Chris)