Primitive Firearms (Read 1280 times)
Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Primitive Firearms
Aug 1st, 2020 at 11:59am

Firelance, Handgonnes, Matchlocks, etc.

Following the evolution of firearms since their genesis is a topic that I find very interesting, especially when comparing their capabilities to competing technologies of the time e.g crossbows, or armour.
I also think for the most part, medieval firearms in particular, are very much misunderstood in terms of their power, as well as safety concerns to the user. Along with this, ingenious developments such as the powder chamber of the Tannenberg handgonne (1399), tend to be completely overlooked, along with why almost all handgonnes lacked pan-covers. 

Lots to talk about and lots to elaborate on, but just gauging to see whether there is any interest in this topic.

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

ghost0311-8541

Slinging Rocks!

Florida
Re: Primitive Firearms
Reply #1 - Aug 1st, 2020 at 10:14pm

Here a primitive fire arm. 

https://youtu.be/hy6vuSpA92g

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #2 - Aug 2nd, 2020 at 9:16am

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #3 - Aug 2nd, 2020 at 1:23pm

ghost0311-8541 wrote on Aug 1st, 2020 at 10:14pm:
Here a primitive fire arm. 

https://youtu.be/hy6vuSpA92g

Haha, well that certainly is primitive!
Reminds me of 17th century pressurized air guns, but they used bullets of course instead of darts.

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #4 - Aug 2nd, 2020 at 1:36pm

AncientCraftwork wrote on Aug 2nd, 2020 at 9:16am:

Yes it is a rather interesting video, which is unfortunately quite short. I believe I actually had a chat to these two at a medieval festival last year, and asked them a few questions.
I would like to know whether they used medieval-type powder for this experiment, which behaves quite differently than its later, granulated form. The bronze 'gun on a pole' is the style that would be most typical in the 14th century, and would have made for the most interesting 'versus'.

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #5 - Aug 2nd, 2020 at 1:50pm

Unfortunately the video no longer exists, but someone by the name of Alexander Spiridinov solved the 'dilemma' around why handgonnes rarely had covers for the priming pan. He demonstrated in the video that serpentine powder (the gunpowder of the time) would stick together, as well as to the pan when squashed with the thumb. The gun could then be tilted at any angle (even upside down) without the priming powder falling out. Another added benefit of this, is that it would give roughly a 2 second fuse effect once lit, so that the gunner could aim before the gun went off (that's why firing from the hip makes no sense).

I would love to see this aspect of medieval firearms demonstrated at reenactments, but practically no one seems to know about it.

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Rat Man, David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Mauro Fiorentini)