Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
First Recorded Sling Practice (Read 1739 times)
Waxwing_Sling
Tiro

Progress, not perfection.

Central Minnesota, USA
First Recorded Sling Practice
Jul 30th, 2020 at 11:08am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D79-7_tz0AQ&t=4s

This is the first time I've recorded my slinging since I took up the hobby again. I've just recently started using the figure 8 through, after it had vexed me for many weeks. I certainly welcome any helpful critiques of my technique.

May you be safe, be happy, be healthy, and live with ease.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Re: First Recorded Sling Practice
Reply #1 - Jul 30th, 2020 at 12:14pm

Looking good.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #2 - Jul 30th, 2020 at 1:44pm

Nice.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #3 - Jul 30th, 2020 at 1:53pm

Looks fine. Your wind-up is great. That is the part that I had a really hard time with and still can't quite get right.

There are a few pointers I could give for increased power, if that is what you are looking for, if not, please disregard. When you are in your power stroke or "pull" (termed by Morphy and others), your left arm drops to your side. Your throwing arm elbow also comes forward a bit early.

If you can stretch out your chest, so throw your left arm elbow out and then back (like pitchers do) and keep your right arm's humerus level with the ground but pulled back (again streching out the chest) until your sternum is pointed at the target before bringing your arm forward, this should help with power. Watch some of Sarosh's videos on Youtube (user: Acroballistics), and go frame by frame through his throws (use the ">" "<" keys to do this). He has really good form in my opinion. He doesn't throw with the figure 8, but the movements are very similar.

John R.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #4 - Jul 30th, 2020 at 2:34pm

Looks great! One thing I would say is separating the movement of your shoulder and hip. I have this problem and it's better to move your hip forward, follow with the shoulder and then the arm. This transfers the power and ensures your whole body weight goes into the shot. You're moving forward, but it's not necessarily the best transfer of power. It's something I really struggle with so it's something I take note of Cheesy Certainly better than my Fig. 8. Took me a LONG time to just get the movement right before I even managed getting stuff releasing even close to the right time.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Waxwing_Sling
Tiro

Central Minnesota, USA
Reply #5 - Jul 30th, 2020 at 2:37pm

Thanks for the comments everyone. I will definitely keep referring back to them as I practice.

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #6 - Jul 30th, 2020 at 4:16pm

Kick wrote on Jul 30th, 2020 at 2:34pm:
Looks great! One thing I would say is separating the movement of your shoulder and hip. I have this problem and it's better to move your hip forward, follow with the shoulder and then the arm. This transfers the power and ensures your whole body weight goes into the shot. You're moving forward, but it's not necessarily the best transfer of power. It's something I really struggle with so it's something I take note of Cheesy Certainly better than my Fig. 8. Took me a LONG time to just get the movement right before I even managed getting stuff releasing even close to the right time.

This ^. Here is another thing I wanted to mention, but lost the thought when I started typing.

If you watch baseballpitching form videos (try TopVelocity.net on YouTube), he really breaks down the shoulder and hip movements. They are actually very similar in slinging to get maximum power. I also struggle with this, but there is a lot to learn by looking at pitching form.

John R.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #7 - Jul 30th, 2020 at 8:02pm

Looks good to me!!
Nice easy slinging!
As the others stated there is more power available in your shot but I don’t know if it’s totally necessary. Your form looks consistent and a great starting point. I find figure8 to be a very accurate style at a set distance, very repeatable.

Keep it up your doing great

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #8 - Jul 30th, 2020 at 8:19pm

Nice!  Scary bounce at 0:43. Cheesy

I'm curious, are you throwing at a specific target (or target area), or just in a general forward direction?

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #9 - Jul 30th, 2020 at 10:11pm

Good place to start! Easy going is the best way. Lacrosse balls really look like good practice ammo. I remember when I discovered figure 8 I  immediately went at it, trying to hit 200y. Long story short, I was repeatedly straining my shoulder because I was impetuous, instead of letting power coming through honed technique and gradual exercise.

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

Waxwing_Sling
Tiro

Central Minnesota, USA
Reply #10 - Jul 30th, 2020 at 10:26pm

joe_meadmaker wrote on Jul 30th, 2020 at 8:19pm:
Nice!  Scary bounce at 0:43. Cheesy

I'm curious, are you throwing at a specific target (or target area), or just in a general forward direction?

I did have a target. I simply aimed at my truck, which was parked just on the other side of the fence I was throwing against.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #11 - Jul 31st, 2020 at 11:16am

cool rebound Smiley

Looking pretty good.
the first throw was a bit 'tight' but the second and third were a lot smoother.
Better arm extension.

Pretty much all you need to work on are your feet.

Rock back and step forward with your left foot. Keeo the right foot in contact with the ground.

At the moment you're going off balance and sticking your rear leg into the air. Which will throw off your aim.

Obviously you lack the correct foorwear whistle

Alternatively - keep both feet in contact with the ground and just move your weight  around:

There wasn't a lot of power in those shots as I was slinging downhill and only about 30 metres.

The previous video I was doing the same throw in reverse. Which required a bit more power and a much flatter throw.
Either that or I was slinging across both ditches and 50 metres.

It was a few years back now and over the course of two weekends, I threw well over 2000 times at hodd hill. So picking out individual throws, isn't going to happen Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Waxwing_Sling
Tiro

Central Minnesota, USA
Reply #12 - Aug 1st, 2020 at 12:04am

Curious Aardvark wrote on Jul 31st, 2020 at 11:16am:
Rock back and step forward with your left foot. Keeo the right foot in contact with the ground.

Thanks, I will keep this in mind for future practice.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #13 - Aug 1st, 2020 at 4:41am

C_A's fig. 8 is interesting as it's almost like a helicipter release. Naturally (if I'm not thinkibg about it) I come down vertically or a 45 degree angle but C_A almost comes horizontal. I've found it hard to copy but a good variation.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, Chris, vetryan15, Kick, Rat Man)