Send Topic Print
The singleweight bola (Read 233 times)
jauke
Interfector Viris Spurii

I like honey

Under Sea-Level
The singleweight bola
Jul 29th, 2020 at 12:06pm

If there is a weapon more forgotten than the sling it is probably the singleweight bola, so forgotten that even modern slingers rarely give attention to it

I am not sure how prevalent they were in the past, since cordage was more precious back in the day not something you readily throw around with. Nonetheless it is a very effective sling weapon, a lot easier in use than a shepherd sling.

After only minimal training I can already hit a rabbit sized target more reliably at 15 meters than with a convential sling. The power at short distances is as big as sling stone.
All I do is tie some cord to a big nut. It works great

it is also very effective as a hand weapon. Grab the cord securely and you got a really quick hard hitting hand-flail that you can swing around and smack things with. Probably good against attacking dogs.

IMG_0135_001.JPG (186 KB | 0 )
IMG_0135_001.JPG

''He leads the humble in what is right,
    and teaches the humble his way.''
Psalm 25:9

IP Logged

Kick
Interfector Viris Spurii

Finland
Re: The singleweight bola
Reply #1 - Jul 29th, 2020 at 4:02pm

I've found a two weight bola to be very effective. The two weights are different though and (at least with mine) different shapes so they travel differently through the air giving it a good spin. It's incredibly fun to use and can really hit hard.

IP Logged

jauke
Interfector Viris Spurii

I like honey

Under Sea-Level
Reply #2 - Jul 29th, 2020 at 4:33pm

I slung a 75 cm piece of 550 cord tied to a 97 gram hex nut with sidearm and it flew 107 meters. I know this precise distance measurement because it hit the large metal fence and I heard the noise of the hit. I was impressed !

I also slung a huge industrial hex nut that weighted over 280 grams tied a 75 cm cord to a distance of 100 meters using pirouette. Again I was blown away by how well a simple cord tied to a weight slings. I think with some practice and a longer cord I could have slung it to 130 meters.

I spend halve a hour of searcing this hex nut as it was precious to me but I couldn't find it again. I heared the thud of it sinking in the ground next to the fence diagonally from where I was slinging and I spend 30 minutes searching but couldn't find it. The bull in the field next to me was geting very anxious/angry with my presence there and almost wanted to jump the fence so I had to leave.

I am not sure I could've slung either further with a normal sling, maybe the 97 gram hex.

Both way outflew my expectations, it really confirms my suspicions that the power from a sling is from the action of a sling and not spin.

Keep in mind I am under sea level

it makes me wonder why they didn't enlist hammer-throwers in the ancient armies? If they could lob projectiles over a kilo to distances of a 100 meters it seems like a force to be reckoned with.

I also made a bola with 3 strings and 3 hex nuts of 60 grams, which gives a total weight of 180 grams. I managed to throw it over 60 meters. The effectiveness of this tool is truly much greater than I thought. Words do not justify it, only seeing it in action can.

I think in fields free from water and other obstructions I could've slung alot further as I wouldn't have to fear losing them (and guess what, I lost 2  Angry)

(I take my distance measurements much more seriously now than in the past.)

Also I have to say again how much easier I experience the throw of the string-stone over the shepherd sling accurately, I think at short distances up to 25 meters I would take the string-stone over the shepherd sling any time unless I was slinging through dense brush/vegetation.

The situation with the bull was quite comical. I almost thought that if it would've jumped the fence my best bet would've been to throw the bola at its legs!

My conclusions: us slingers really should give more attention to the bola and the string-stone or the hammer-thrower, they are so closely related and all very useful (fun)

My next string-stones are going to use actual stones and some sisal twine. I don't want to lose paracord and precious hex nuts in nature.
« Last Edit: Aug 1st, 2020 at 12:37pm by jauke »  

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3 - Jul 29th, 2020 at 6:23pm

@
jauke

A length of cordage tied to a weight such as a stone is known as a perida in S. America. Don't know if it is of spanish or indian origin. Takes just a few mins to make. Less time to loose Undecided

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

ghost0311-8541

Slinging Rocks!

Florida
Reply #4 - Jul 29th, 2020 at 11:17pm

Single weight bolas were used to kill jaguars and to fight with had a long coard.

IP Logged

jauke
Interfector Viris Spurii

I like honey

Under Sea-Level
Reply #5 - Jul 30th, 2020 at 7:27am

I wouldn't be surprised, the power you can put into the throw of one of these is as great as with a shepherd sling, and using it as a hand weapon is very effective too, but care not to hit yourself. I accidentally hit my knee on the side with the one stone bola trying to use it as a hand weapon and down I went. I wasn't even swinging hard.

I think any leg shot with a sling or perdida is going to disable you immediately.

I also think the bola is a better sling for horseback throwing than the shepherd sling. The bola, whether one or multiple weights, has gained as much respect from me as I have for the shepherd sling

Also, imagine getting charged by some heavy armored dude on a horse. With a sufficient weight bola thrown at the legs of the charging mount I wonder what would happen whistle

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Funditor

PA, USA
Reply #6 - Jul 30th, 2020 at 11:26pm

jauke wrote on Jul 29th, 2020 at 12:06pm:
it is also very effective as a hand weapon. Grab the cord securely and you got a really quick hard hitting hand-flail that you can swing around and smack things with. Probably good against attacking dogs.

To an extent, but flail-type weapons can be quite difficult to use.  If the distance to your target isn't perfect, any attack is almost useless.  And similar to any contact weapon that uses a cord or chain, once there is impact, it's difficult to predict where your weight is going afterward.  Against a dog I'd definitely prefer a pole or club weapon of some kind.

jauke wrote on Jul 29th, 2020 at 4:33pm:
I spend halve a hour of searcing this hex nut as it was precious to me but I couldn't find it again.

I'm sorry to hear you couldn't find your hex nut.  I think this is another issue with this weapon.  It's not only the weight (or projectile) that you stand to lose, but the cordage as well.  It would make sense to me if this is one of the reasons a weapon like this wasn't used as often as a sling or a staff sling in ancient battles.  More material to make the weapons, more time to make them, and everything is lost unless you're able to recover them after a battle.

jauke wrote on Jul 30th, 2020 at 7:27am:
Also, imagine getting charged by some heavy armored dude on a horse. With a sufficient weight bola thrown at the legs of the charging mount I wonder what would happen

If you get the hit, you'll definitely drop that horse.  But in this scenario I think I'd prefer a more traditional bola.  Wrapping up the legs would also bring the horse down, and you wouldn't need as precise a throw.

I haven't seen one posted.  Have you shot any videos with the single weight bola yet?

IP Logged

jauke
Interfector Viris Spurii

I like honey

Under Sea-Level
Reply #7 - Jul 31st, 2020 at 3:39am

You misunderstood, the scenario with the horse of course would involve throwing a multiple weight bola at the creatures legs.

joe_meadmaker wrote on Jul 30th, 2020 at 11:26pm:
I haven't seen one posted.  Have you shot any videos with the single weight bola yet?

One but nothing special. Neither do I feel as if I have the proof anything with videos. Although when the I have time I will gladly make some videos.

Any slinger can make these things in a a matter of minutes in our modern world, and with the practice of a day, you can see what I am getting at. In fact, I think the singleweight bola / perdida is a better platform to understand what I am getting at and not the Y-sling, as Y-slings require more sophistication in use in order for it to throw like a singleweight bola, which might create misunderstandings at first.

it's a sling ! You love slinging right !? You will love it.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Funditor

PA, USA
Reply #8 - Jul 31st, 2020 at 10:10am

jauke wrote on Jul 31st, 2020 at 3:39am:
Neither do I feel as if I have the proof anything with videos.

Absolutely.  I didn't mean to imply the results you were posting required proof.  Just that I like your videos and think they are good demonstrations of what you're working on.

And I loved the potato video!  Grin

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Funditor

PA, USA
Reply #9 - Jul 31st, 2020 at 10:10am

And yes, this single-weight bola is on my list to give a try.  Smiley

IP Logged

jauke
Interfector Viris Spurii

I like honey

Under Sea-Level
Reply #10 - Aug 1st, 2020 at 12:32pm

I went out to try and regain my big nut again. I found it ! My big nut penetrated a long way into mother earth. Only the thong was still visible and I had to jerk it out.

IMG_0154.JPG (114 KB | 0 )
IMG_0154.JPG

IP Logged

jauke
Interfector Viris Spurii

I like honey

Under Sea-Level
Reply #11 - Aug 1st, 2020 at 12:35pm

Oh and I had said the weight of it wrong, not 380 grams, but 280 grams.
Now that I knew where it landed, I could calculate the distance, around 104 meters.
Not bad

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, Chris, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man) - (Moderator Group: Forum Moderator)