Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Elm bark tea (Read 702 times)
NimNom
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Elm bark tea
Jul 28th, 2020 at 2:11pm

I had recently made some rope from the inner bark of an elm tree to use for a sling, and I thought I would try boiling it to see if I could get it to be a little more supple.
Well, it didnt really get any more easy to work with, but it left the water tinted brown. I tried some, and it tasted like a tree, but after I sweetened it with 2 teaspoons of sugar, its actually pretty tasty!
It still tastes a little woody, which i like. The sweetener took the bitterness away!

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Elm bark tea
Reply #1 - Jul 28th, 2020 at 4:41pm

Slippery Elm is used for treating Irritable Bowel Syndrome, sore throat and diarrhea.  The inner bark is also ground and used as a poultice on rashes.

It's also chock full of vitamins and minerals and stuff, so it was used as a general pick you up type drink when you were feeling worn down.

Most people just used to chew on the bark and swallow the juices. 

Got to be careful testing plants, if that had been willow, it has salicylic acid, just like aspirin.  And it's a blood thinner and could put you in the hospital.  Just like if you ate a bottle of aspirin.

IP Logged

NimNom
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #2 - Jul 29th, 2020 at 9:48pm

Bill Skinner wrote on Jul 28th, 2020 at 4:41pm:
Slippery Elm is used for treating Irritable Bowel Syndrome, sore throat and diarrhea.  The inner bark is also ground and used as a poultice on rashes.

It's also chock full of vitamins and minerals and stuff, so it was used as a general pick you up type drink when you were feeling worn down.

Most people just used to chew on the bark and swallow the juices. 

Got to be careful testing plants, if that had been willow, it has salicylic acid, just like aspirin.  And it's a blood thinner and could put you in the hospital.  Just like if you ate a bottle of aspirin.

Shocked yikes, I will be careful

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #3 - Jul 30th, 2020 at 12:33pm

Boiling the roots of a young Sassafras sapling will make a very nice tea. It will taste a little like root beer.

IP Logged

NimNom
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #4 - Jul 30th, 2020 at 11:57pm

Im (carefully) embarking more on this tea making journey, I have some corn silk saved in a plastic bag for tomorrow mornings tea Smiley

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #5 - Jul 31st, 2020 at 11:39am

May I suggest "Backyard Medicine" by Julie Bruton-Seal and Matthew Seal?  The book was written in Norfolk, UK but a lot of the medicinal plants were brought over here and have become rather common in a lot of the country over here.

Lots of pictures to help identify plants, although I suggest that you find someone who knows the various local plants and study with them.

A local college is a place to start, as is your local agriculture agent.  Both should be able to point you to reference materials specific to your area.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, Chris, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, Bill Skinner)