Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Problem with thin efficient slings (Read 5874 times)
Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Re: Problem with thin efficient slings
Reply #45 - Aug 6th, 2020 at 9:00am

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Aug 6th, 2020 at 8:50am:
@Morphy, If you buy into the hinge versus glide model above, it may very well be a source of inconsistency in the release timing if the sling opens differently each time.

(I suspect the slinger is still the most significant factor most of the time though)

I agree that ultimately the slinger is the biggest factor. Ammo plays a really big part as well. I remember when I was super serious about target slinging and my handmade concrete ammo would react so much better than even smooth albeit irregular stones. Every shot felt silky smooth with no lag in release. I almost can’t bring myself to sling anymore with poor ammo after having slung so consistently with the good stuff.

The other aspect here is a sling stone probably pushes the pouch open as it ejects more than any cord opens it. Obviously this is a bit of a guess on my part but it makes sense.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

-
Reply #46 - Aug 6th, 2020 at 9:08am

-
« Last Edit: Aug 15th, 2020 at 4:38am by AncientCraftwork »  

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #47 - Aug 6th, 2020 at 9:25am

It also sounds like I need to head on over to the maths section and lay down some proper theory now.

As far as I can tell, most of the last decade+ of math-based conversations boils down to someone using a simplified model of the sling and then other people arguing over whether the model is oversimplified. I think I may have an idea for how to avoid this cycle. I’ll get to work on it in my copious free time.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #48 - Aug 6th, 2020 at 10:12am

AncientCraftwork wrote on Aug 6th, 2020 at 9:08am:
I don't think the magnus effect will make a ball fly further, it can only make it fly straighter in case of overhand or curve it as the case with sidehand, but the lift it generates caused by the magnus effect is a loss of energy to the projectile.

check out airsoft hop up they seem to get a lot of range from it, not 100% sure if we can transfer it to slings though.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #49 - Aug 6th, 2020 at 11:40am

-
« Last Edit: Aug 15th, 2020 at 4:38am by AncientCraftwork »  

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #50 - Aug 6th, 2020 at 11:53am

-
« Last Edit: Aug 15th, 2020 at 4:37am by AncientCraftwork »  

IP Logged

MitchInTheGlatrix
Tiro

A Philistine and an Israelite
walk into a pub...

Near Fulcrum of the Simulacrum
Reply #51 - Aug 6th, 2020 at 1:06pm

Quote:
Spheres, no matter how they orientate, provide a uniform front to the air. That's why I think they're the overall superior and more accurate sling projectile in practice.

And simpler to work with!  Though ovoid, bi-conical, and other enlongated variants can be made to fly quite well, employing spin stabilization along the projectile's longitudinal axis.  Sling ammo is much larger than rifle ammo, and tends to spin too fast compared to it's forward speed.  This can be controlled by pocket shape, size, and orientation.  By creating a release system that dramatically lessens pocket contact duration after release, ballistic spin ratios are made more manageable along with vastly increased release consistency and pocket durability.

Though such efforts are admittedly, obssessive.

« Last Edit: Aug 6th, 2020 at 3:01pm by MitchInTheGlatrix »  

"The nation that separates it's scholars from it's warriors, will have it's thinking done by cowards and it's fighting done by fools." - Thucydides

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #52 - Aug 6th, 2020 at 9:34pm

I like the look of that sling, captive release?? And also a modified pouch with that ring?? I like it, it looks exactly how I pictured it in my head but I never constructed it. Nice!!!

As for spin or no spin , I’ll take spin any day , no spin is for slingshots not slings

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #53 - Aug 6th, 2020 at 10:17pm

Any videos of that sling in action??

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

MitchInTheGlatrix
Tiro

A Philistine and an Israelite
walk into a pub...

Near Fulcrum of the Simulacrum
Reply #54 - Aug 6th, 2020 at 10:34pm

I'll be going through my old folders and if I don't find any, looks like I'll just have to make new ones!

"The nation that separates it's scholars from it's warriors, will have it's thinking done by cowards and it's fighting done by fools." - Thucydides

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #55 - Aug 7th, 2020 at 3:55am

@
MitchInTheGlatrix

Grin awesome sling

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

-
Reply #56 - Aug 7th, 2020 at 4:51am

-

« Last Edit: Aug 15th, 2020 at 4:36am by AncientCraftwork »  

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #57 - Aug 8th, 2020 at 12:50pm

AncientCraftwork wrote on Aug 6th, 2020 at 9:08am:
I don't think the magnus effect will make a ball fly further, it can only make it fly straighter in case of overhand or curve it as the case with sidehand, but the lift it generates caused by the magnus effect is a loss of energy to the projectile.

The magnus effect absolutely makes a ball fly farther if it’s generating lift from backspin. It will never fly as far as a ball in a vacuum with no wind resistance but the lift counteracts the wind drag partially.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

-
Reply #58 - Aug 8th, 2020 at 1:01pm

-
« Last Edit: Aug 15th, 2020 at 4:34am by AncientCraftwork »  

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #59 - Aug 8th, 2020 at 2:29pm

Ok. I’m a little behind.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Morphy, Rat Man, Chris, Curious Aardvark)