Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
Problem with thin efficient slings (Read 5870 times)
NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Re: Problem with thin efficient slings
Reply #15 - Jul 29th, 2020 at 12:36pm

AncientCraftwork wrote on Jul 29th, 2020 at 10:56am:
It's almost scary because what he is saying is totally in line with my thinking. And I am definitely not trying to troll anybody.

Oh come on Jauke!  A little bit of trolling never hurt anyone.  You should try it some time Smiley

I can't agree with his "I don't want to play with you guys anymore" approach, but before he went back to his little sandbox yesterday, Jaegoor was right that a lot of the same topics come up on here again and again.  When the technical topics get recycled, it's the people who keep the forum interesting.   I personally enjoy a little bit of unserious banter as long as it's all in good fun and you make it fairly obvious when you are joking and when you are not.  That's where RS and Apex went wrong.  We couldn't tell when they were genuinely contributing and when they were not.  That's just annoying.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #16 - Jul 29th, 2020 at 1:39pm

Apex-apoc wrote on Sep 11th, 2017 at 1:30pm:
And with a ball of tungsten (heavy metall class 4 - 18,5 g/cm3 - diameter = 17,51 mm, same wight = 52 g) Larry Bray's record would have been minimum 808 m!

That can be calculated (online) here: http://www.schuetzenverein-ettenheim.de/sportschiessen/ballistikrechner.php

112m/s @40°, flight time 13.4 sec, 808m

and if something I shot reaches over 200m I 'm not able to see where it landed and I lose my ammo even at 20m  Angry , that guy is a superhuman with metal detector abilities.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #17 - Jul 29th, 2020 at 2:09pm

-
« Last Edit: Aug 15th, 2020 at 4:50am by AncientCraftwork »  

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #18 - Jul 29th, 2020 at 2:36pm

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Jul 29th, 2020 at 12:36pm:
AncientCraftwork wrote on Jul 29th, 2020 at 10:56am:
It's almost scary because what he is saying is totally in line with my thinking. And I am definitely not trying to troll anybody.

Oh come on Jauke!  A little bit of trolling never hurt anyone.  You should try it some time Smiley

I can't agree with his "I don't want to play with you guys anymore" approach, but before he went back to his little sandbox yesterday, Jaegoor was right that a lot of the same topics come up on here again and again.  When the technical topics get recycled, it's the people who keep the forum interesting.   I personally enjoy a little bit of unserious banter as long as it's all in good fun and you make it fairly obvious when you are joking and when you are not.  That's where RS and Apex went wrong.  We couldn't tell when they were genuinely contributing and when they were not.  That's just annoying. 

To be fair I still contend that you are all crazy for questioning any of RS’es stories. It all seemed perfectly legit to me.  Roll Eyes Tongue

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #19 - Jul 30th, 2020 at 9:02am

-
« Last Edit: Aug 15th, 2020 at 4:49am by AncientCraftwork »  

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #20 - Jul 30th, 2020 at 2:48pm

-

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #21 - Jul 30th, 2020 at 2:59pm

And don't worry, if you can't stand my posts, soon I will 'disappear' from active posting so much and go back to lurking occassionally, as my sling holiday is over within 1 month  and I will be very busy with other things Shocked These last 2 months I am a little obsessed with slings.

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #22 - Jul 30th, 2020 at 4:32pm

AncientCraftwork wrote on Jul 30th, 2020 at 2:48pm:
I think that we just started using biconical ammo because the sling was not optimal.

saying stuff like this makes me wonder if you have ever tried slinging over 100m.

AncientCraftwork wrote on Jul 30th, 2020 at 2:48pm:
I also think this is exactly why slings sort of died out or never took off as a sport, because we have been using the wrong slings. There is a reason why the only slinging we see as an olympic sport is hammer throwing. For something to become an olympic sport, the differences in equipment has to be removed. Convential slings are too much subject to internal ballistics caused by build construction that a universal model could never be agreed upon. But I think that target throwing done with simple one-stone bolas with a set-weight for the weight would level the playing field.

I think uniformity kills sports. Javelin was nerfed and it became less technical and less interesting, other throwing sports are also not getting better from the olympics .

Archery on the other hand has been advancing changing adapting for many years on every branch. I think widely practiced/traditional or commercialized sports can get into the olympics and then get simplified for the olympics not the other way around.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #23 - Jul 30th, 2020 at 8:11pm

I’ve found quite the opposite, tapered release cords open faster and the weight should be in the pouch not in the cords. The cords should be low stretch and then the energy quickly transfers into movement.

Biconical ammo is designed for killing, it’s sharp and sharp things kill. It’s just a added bonus that it flys further and rolls out of a sling better than a ball.

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

-
Reply #24 - Jul 31st, 2020 at 3:33am

-

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #25 - Jul 31st, 2020 at 4:07am

Well it’s pretty similar to a whip. It’s a cord, that cord is pulled by the momentum of the cord below it. Half the sling remains as it was during the throw before release the other half is pulled by the tension as it is released.
If I could draw a diagram it could be understood easier but I’ll try.

If the weight/tension on the release cord stays the same between 3 identical release cords but one is tapered one is straight and one is opposite tapered it makes the most sense that a tapered one would open faster. All that opens them is the tension on the cord, so as that tension is pulled straight it moves the fastest on a tapered release. I hope this makes sense without a diagram . Think about a whip and that might help.
Having weight in the pouch is going to pull the release cord.
Hold a regular sling and put tension on the pouch with your hand , let go of the cord and it will open as your still adding tension. The more tension the faster it will open. Or on the other side reduce the overall weight of the release cord.
There is actually more too it and the angles flexibility and elasticity of the cords can change it but as far as I understand it can’t open faster with a reverse taper it goes against my understanding of energy transfer.

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

-
Reply #26 - Jul 31st, 2020 at 4:37am

-

« Last Edit: Aug 15th, 2020 at 4:47am by AncientCraftwork »  

biconical.png (521 KB | 28 )
biconical.png

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #27 - Jul 31st, 2020 at 5:22am

I also feel adding weight to the end of release cord makes for a very unclean release. Perhaps you can get away using light cords and a light weight at the end but if you made a balearic with reversed taper it would throw horribly. Even adding moderate weight to the end of braided slings has a really poor effect.

Balearic throws clean because when you push the thicker part of the release cord the rest simply whips out of the way. Reverse this and you have a cord which would almost hook on and really interfere with release.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

-
Reply #28 - Jul 31st, 2020 at 5:27am

-

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

-
Reply #29 - Jul 31st, 2020 at 5:47am

-

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, Morphy, Kick, Chris, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man)